GNC Propaganda or Truth?



TrekDedicated

New Member
Jun 17, 2004
1,111
2
0
Hi everyone,

I was in GNC the other day about to purchase another jug Cytomax Muscle Milk when the rep basically said it was ****. All it really does is 'taste' good and high in cholesterol. Other than that, it doesn't really benefit you.

As a result, he recommended the Amplify XL Protein Blend as it had a better protein complex. Usually I do my research, but lately I've had more important things on my mind. Anyways...

So, I'm now trying this other supplement, which I will say, does have a lot more protein. Has anyone used either of these?

The rep also mentioned that recent studies have stated that men should veer away from soy products (or in my case, soy chocolate "milk"). I know a couple years ago there were some reports on this, but do you all know of anything new?

I know most GNC people are 'special' to say the least, so I am curious about your thoughts?
 

spinner32

New Member
Jul 8, 2006
141
0
0
35
Muscle Milk will help you pack on pounds if you need to - Lots of easy calories and plenty of fat. In my experience though, that's about the only good sports supplements are. If you are having a lot of trouble meeting your macronutrient or vitamin/mineral intake needs for a day, then maybe consider simple supplements (multivitamin, clif bars, some simple protein supplements w/o lots of additives.)

Honestly, you can get everything you need (unless you are defficient due to chronic illness/disease) from a balanced diet. Extra protein will only stress your kidneys. I've found that a bowl of cereal or a big glass of chocolate milk after a hard ride or workout does a smack-bang job for recovery.
That said, I keep a package of whey isolates (no flavorings, no sweeteners or additives) for days that I know I haven't gotten enough protein. Similarly, I keep a LOT of brown rice and fruit around for extra carbohydrates, and nuts for monounsaturated fats. Just eat a good diet, and don't worry about wasting money at GNC.

And yes... GNC employees are quite special - Two years ago, upon entering the store, I had one tell me that with enough creatine and mass-builder, I could turn 100% of my body fat into muscle in 2 weeks. (I'm 5' 10", was 140 lbs and around 8% body fat at the time.) Needless to say that was my last trip to GNC.
 

stilesiii

New Member
Aug 31, 2005
165
0
0
50
The rep also mentioned that recent studies have stated that men should veer away from soy products (or in my case, soy chocolate "milk"). I know a couple years ago there were some reports on this, but do you all know of anything new?
[/QUOTE]I read an article that concluded soy is in some way to like estrogen. Consuming soy is like consuming estrogen, which is usually not good for your manliness. After I read the article I did discover that soy is recommended as an estrogen replacement type therapy, which confirms that soy is in someway associated with estrogen.

Personally, I like my manliness, so no soy for me. My boy won't be getting any soy formula or soy anything either.

Which isn't a problem, cause I love pig, chicken and cow.
 

spinner32

New Member
Jul 8, 2006
141
0
0
35
As far as I know, based on a little limited research and a discussion with my doctor, fermented soy products are just fine to consume. These include tempeh, fermented tofu, miso, and traditional soy-based soy sauce. Soy milk, silken tofu, and some soy protein powders are unfermented, and contain higher levels of phytoestrogens. It has been hypothesized that these can interfere with normal hormone regulation in males and females.

A quick search brought this up, I'm sure more is out there:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/6/1333S
 

benkoostra

New Member
Mar 7, 2006
392
0
0
53
spinner32 said:
As far as I know, based on a little limited research and a discussion with my doctor, fermented soy products are just fine to consume. These include tempeh, fermented tofu, miso, and traditional soy-based soy sauce. Soy milk, silken tofu, and some soy protein powders are unfermented, and contain higher levels of phytoestrogens. It has been hypothesized that these can interfere with normal hormone regulation in males and females.

A quick search brought this up, I'm sure more is out there:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/6/1333S

Asians eat soy all the time, and I don't see a lot of man breasts sprouting there, generally.
 

matagi

Well-Known Member
Mar 12, 2006
8,265
337
83
benkoostra said:
Asians eat soy all the time, and I don't see a lot of man breasts sprouting there, generally.
True, but isn't the bulk of their consumption fermented soy?
 

spinner32

New Member
Jul 8, 2006
141
0
0
35
Huh, we just discussed the roles of steroidal compounds in one of my classes recently, and I decided to look further into this. Something that I found interesting was that diets high in phyto-estrogen from soy (and specifically in "traditional Asian diets") promoted a "significant" reduction in menopausal symptoms in an experimental group versus a control group.

Here's the link: http://www.menopausejournal.com/pt/re/menopause/abstract.00042192-199704020-00005.htm;jsessionid=LjVZgRZJsdvYTVbnblY0njms8HylPhZQmD1nHLPTPFPpGSDydDJ0!-1052912739!181195629!8091!-1

This certainly seems to indicate interactions between phytoestrogens and the human body which at least emulates the normal hormonal pathways to some degree.
 

Feltski

New Member
Nov 29, 2006
90
0
0
something to keep in mind when it comes to protein suppliments (and meals in general) is that your body can only process about 25-30g of protein per meal. I see people opting for suppliments with upwards of 50g of protein bc they think its going to stack on the muscle mass, whereas in reality, its goin to your gut. I dont know enough about the soy arguement to make any valid point, but protein is protein. Different shakes have different additives, methods of processing, etc. Ive never been let down by any shake that tastes good, relatively low in fat, and has around 25g protein/serving
 

stevecycles

New Member
Jan 23, 2007
40
0
0
Feltski said:
something to keep in mind when it comes to protein suppliments (and meals in general) is that your body can only process about 25-30g of protein per meal. I see people opting for suppliments with upwards of 50g of protein bc they think its going to stack on the muscle mass, whereas in reality, its goin to your gut. I dont know enough about the soy arguement to make any valid point, but protein is protein. Different shakes have different additives, methods of processing, etc. Ive never been let down by any shake that tastes good, relatively low in fat, and has around 25g protein/serving
Protien is not protien. protiens contiain amino acids. There is an amino acid chain. Some protiens have the entire chain, others do not. To get the full benefit you need the entire chain. If you eat a food or supplement that is not complete, you should add another source to complete the chain.
 

Feltski

New Member
Nov 29, 2006
90
0
0
ok so my "protein is protein" statement in the biochemical scheme is not correct...yes I understand that proteins are made of chains of a mixture of 20 diff types of amino acids. I could go on forever about protein chemistry, but thats neither here nor there. What I meant was that I have never noticed the difference between different types of protein suppliments; soy vs whey, vs etc. They have all helped me meet my intake goals equally as far as I can tell

As for the muscle milk, I have heard it is relatively high in fat. Ive never taken it, simply due to the price, but I have known people that have and seemed to like it. You have to consider your source for info...you say it was a rep, aka a salesman. Take what works for you...not what some salesman tells you he thinks you should take
 
Jun 6, 2006
1,696
6
38
I have heard that the phytoestrogens in soy have some sort of protective effect & keep the body from converting testosterone to estrogen due to stress. I was not able to track down additional info & don't remember where I saw the claim.
 

spinner32

New Member
Jul 8, 2006
141
0
0
35
garage sale GT said:
I have heard that the phytoestrogens in soy have some sort of protective effect & keep the body from converting testosterone to estrogen due to stress. I was not able to track down additional info & don't remember where I saw the claim.
I've read that too - It seems to be one of the favorite marketing schemes for soy products. I'd bet that a quick search of pubmed or springerlink will return something backing it up. I'd be interested in knowing how such compounds go about doing this.
 

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
2,961
0
0
spinner32 said:
I've read that too - It seems to be one of the favorite marketing schemes for soy products. I'd bet that a quick search of pubmed or springerlink will return something backing it up. I'd be interested in knowing how such compounds go about doing this.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

Similar threads

D
Replies
38
Views
2K
UK and Europe
Helen Deborah V
H