Go Air Zound!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Kahn, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike. It's one of the best
    toys I've ever played with. This morning I was outrageously left hooked by a car that overtook me
    within 10 yards of a minor turning. The blast on the Air Zound caused him to come to a complete halt
    half way round the corner. I went past on his right issuing the customary free character reference.
    He wasn't bothered about that. He knew about the cyclist. He'd seen the cyclist and knew the cyclist
    would be swearing at him. The cyclist didn't matter. He was still looking over his left shoulder to
    see where the horn blast had come from.

    It's great.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to Dave Kahn
    > For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike. It's one of the best
    > toys I've ever played with.

    My only complaint is that I can't brake and blast at the same time: a few days ago when I was cut up
    on a roundabout, I was only two feet from the driver's window, and the Air Zound would (I hope) have
    turned his hair white; but I was too busy decelerating to 0m.p.h. at the time, unfortunately.

    --
    Mark, UK. If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to
    hang him. - Richelieu

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Mark McN wrote:
    > My only complaint is that I can't brake and blast at the same time:

    What sort of handlebar are you using? When I used to ride an ATB, I had my AirZound mounted just to
    the right of my left handlebar grip. I had no problem sounding the horn with my left thumb at the
    same time as braking.

    Now I ride a bent with USS, I have the horn mounted just below the left handlebar grip:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgahorn01.jpg

    I have no trouble sounding the horn with the heel of my left hand at the same time as braking.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  4. Mark McN <[email protected]> writes:

    >Reply to Dave Kahn

    >> For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike. It's one of the best
    >> toys I've ever played with.

    >My only complaint is that I can't brake and blast at the same time: a few days ago when I was cut
    >up on a roundabout, I was only two feet from the driver's window, and the Air Zound would (I hope)
    >have turned his hair white; but I was too busy decelerating to 0m.p.h. at the time, unfortunately.

    What is needed is an electrically operated bite switch. Inventors?
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's
    Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  5. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to Danny Colyer
    > What sort of handlebar are you using?

    Drops with STIs: the only place left on the bars where I could easily mount the horn was near the
    middle, out of the way of the standard hand positions, and nowhere near the brake levers. I ought to
    spend a minimum of ingenuity sometime and see if there's somewhere I can bung it so as to achieve
    maximal brake/blast simultaneity.

    > Now I ride a bent

    Well, *that's* my answer right there. <g> Sounds like the perfect justification for spending the
    savings, and I can tell the GF that I'm contributing to my safety!

    --
    Mark, UK. If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to
    hang him. - Richelieu

  6. Mark McN <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Reply to Dave Kahn
    > > For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike. It's one of the best
    > > toys I've ever played with.
    > >

    > My only complaint is that I can't brake and blast at the same time

    Me too ! The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still
    braking on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    I limped away with little dignity......

    .... and learned not to do it again.

    Tim

  7. Mark McN <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Reply to Dave Kahn
    > > For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike. It's one of the best
    > > toys I've ever played with.
    > >

    > My only complaint is that I can't brake and blast at the same time

    Me too ! The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still
    braking on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    I limped away with little dignity......

    .... and learned not to do it again.

    Tim

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Tim Henderson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still braking
    > on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    That's probably the worst way to use it - to draw attention to yourself as you execute an unplanned
    aerobatic manoeuvre.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Tim Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still braking
    > on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    Odd. Under optimum braking conditions the back brake does nothing. Presumably the change in balance
    led you to pull harder on the right-hand lever?

    I know one guy who has an Air Zound on his fixie. It's connected to the left brake lever :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Mark McN wrote:
    > Drops with STIs: the only place left on the bars where I could easily mount the horn was near
    > the middle

    I think you may find it difficult to find somewhere on drops where you can use the horn while
    braking. I've never tried it, though, so ICBW. Good luck trying, anyway.

    > > Now I ride a bent
    >
    > Well, *that's* my answer right there. <g> Sounds like the perfect justification for spending the
    > savings, and I can tell the GF that I'm contributing to my safety!

    You know it makes sense :)

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Tim Henderson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still braking
    > on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    That's probably the worst way to use it - to draw attention to yourself as you execute an unplanned
    aerobatic manoeuvre.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Tim Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still braking
    > on the front and went clean over the handlebars.

    Odd. Under optimum braking conditions the back brake does nothing. Presumably the change in balance
    led you to pull harder on the right-hand lever?

    I know one guy who has an Air Zound on his fixie. It's connected to the left brake lever :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

  14. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Mark McN wrote:
    >
    >>Drops with STIs: the only place left on the bars where I could easily mount the horn was near
    >>the middle
    >

    > I think you may find it difficult to find somewhere on drops where you can use the horn while
    > braking. I've never tried it, though, so ICBW. Good luck trying, anyway.

    Thats where I put mine. Worked fine since you only really use it after you've made the emergency
    manouvere or when it's just a pre-emptive blast to avoid it. I can't believe anyone would think to
    use it when they were having a brown saddle moment though.

    Mine didn't last long < 3 months before the valve got pushed through rendering it useless. I let a
    clumsy clot friend pump it up though so I assume if you're gentle it will last a bit longer.
    Although all the bike shops I tried to get one from said they had stopped stocking them because of
    returns...

  15. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Mark McN wrote:
    >
    >>Drops with STIs: the only place left on the bars where I could easily mount the horn was near
    >>the middle
    >

    > I think you may find it difficult to find somewhere on drops where you can use the horn while
    > braking. I've never tried it, though, so ICBW. Good luck trying, anyway.

    Thats where I put mine. Worked fine since you only really use it after you've made the emergency
    manouvere or when it's just a pre-emptive blast to avoid it. I can't believe anyone would think to
    use it when they were having a brown saddle moment though.

    Mine didn't last long < 3 months before the valve got pushed through rendering it useless. I let a
    clumsy clot friend pump it up though so I assume if you're gentle it will last a bit longer.
    Although all the bike shops I tried to get one from said they had stopped stocking them because of
    returns...

  16. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Vincent Wilcox wrote:
    > Thats where I put mine. Worked fine since you only really use it after you've made the emergency
    > manouvere or when it's just a pre-emptive blast to avoid it.

    If I'm in a position to need a pre-emptive blast, the chances are I'll want to be doing some
    pre-emptive braking at the same time. So the horn would be considerably less use to me if I couldn't
    use it while braking.

    > I can't believe anyone would think to use it when they were having a brown saddle moment though.

    I always have.

    > Mine didn't last long < 3 months before the valve got pushed through rendering it useless.

    They are unfortunately rather fragile. My first one lasted about 4 years before I bashed it against
    a cyclepath barrier as I tried to get through without unhitching the trailer that I was towing at
    the time. The second only survived a couple of years (for most of that time it was held on with wire
    because the quick release had broken). I'm now on the third, which is held on with zip ties.

    > Although all the bike shops I tried to get one from said they had stopped stocking them because of
    > returns...

    When I first tried to get one, none of the bike shops had heard of them. Now I seem to see them in
    most of the shops I look in. I've had 4 (including the one on my wife's bike) and have never had one
    with a fault that would justify returning it.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  17. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

  18. [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    > For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike.

    Do not feel overconfident about it though.

    After freezing a couple of car drivers with my brand new Air Zound, I just discovered that it was
    unable of making the car disappear from your path if the driver is astonishingly oblivious, to both,
    your physical presence (no matter the lights, refletive tapes, orange and yellow straps and clothes
    you can wear) and the noise you can make (no matter how loud it can be)

    Javier