Go Air Zound!

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
> For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike.

Do not feel overconfident about it though.

After freezing a couple of car drivers with my brand new Air Zound, I just discovered that it was
unable of making the car disappear from your path if the driver is astonishingly oblivious, to both,
your physical presence (no matter the lights, refletive tapes, orange and yellow straps and clothes
you can wear) and the noise you can make (no matter how loud it can be)

Javier

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:07:35 -0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tim Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> The last time I tried it - I took my hand off the back brake to sound the horn while still
>> braking on the front and went clean over the handlebars.
>

> Odd. Under optimum braking conditions the back brake does nothing. Presumably the change in
> balance led you to pull harder on the right-hand lever?

When you are braking hard from speed (especially down hill) the back brake can help you to judge
whether you can brake a bit harder on the front. You can hold the back wheel almost on the point of
locking (and it is surprising how easy this is to do, even when everything is going wrong in front
of you :) )

Tim.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
>
>>Thats where I put mine. Worked fine since you only really use it after you've made the emergency
>>manouvere or when it's just a pre-emptive blast to avoid it.
>

> If I'm in a position to need a pre-emptive blast, the chances are I'll want to be doing some
> pre-emptive braking at the same time. So the horn would be considerably less use to me if I
> couldn't use it while braking.

I'm talking drops on a fixed gear with the horn near the stem, emergency braking is never great with
one hand on the bars the other fumbling for the horn.

>>I can't believe anyone would think to use it when they were having a brown saddle moment though.
>

> I always have.

Err, I'm normally more concerned about my well being at that point than blowing my horn. You must
have three arms ;)

> When I first tried to get one, none of the bike shops had heard of them. Now I seem to see them in
> most of the shops I look in. I've had 4 (including the one on my wife's bike) and have never had
> one with a fault that would justify returning it.

I didn't qualify it, the Air Zound 1 was problematic the 2 was the one they retried stocking. The
shop I bought it from though seemed none to impressed with the build quality of the 2 though when I
mentioned mine had packed up. 20ukp for an old bottle, fishing tank tube, schraeder valve and molded
plastic does seem steep though. You can get a DVD player for
29.99,

On 2 Dec 2003 08:37:30 -0800, [email protected] (Javier Manch?n) wrote:

>[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
>> For the last month I've been using an Air Zound horn on the commuting bike.
>
>Do not feel overconfident about it though.
>
>After freezing a couple of car drivers with my brand new Air Zound, I just discovered that it was
>unable of making the car disappear from your path if the driver is astonishingly oblivious, to
>both, your physical presence (no matter the lights, refletive tapes, orange and yellow straps and
>clothes you can wear) and the noise you can make (no matter how loud it can be)

Definitely not over-confident. It's simply a tool to: a) increase my safety, b) increase the
chuckle factor.

Dave...