Go clipless! Normal chain noise?

fblum

New Member
Aug 5, 2003
As a newbie with a month old Bacchetta Giro I was rather unimpressed with my bike until I put on clipless (eggbeaters) pedals- wow! Feet no longer going numb or falling off the pedals-starting much easier, a lot more muscles working. Had a delightful 15 mile trial run. My advice is if you are used to clipless on your DF bike you need 'em on your bent as well. By the way- the eggbeaters seem better than my Shimano SPD for ease of release.
I do notice much more chain noise (chatter?)from the front than I am used to on my DF bike. My thinking is it has to do with the slight angle of the chain as it seats onto the chainring, especially under tension.
Thoughts?

Originally posted by fblum
As a newbie with a month old Bacchetta Giro I was rather unimpressed with my bike until I put on clipless (eggbeaters) pedals- wow! Feet no longer going numb or falling off the pedals-starting much easier, a lot more muscles working. Had a delightful 15 mile trial run. My advice is if you are used to clipless on your DF bike you need 'em on your bent as well. By the way- the eggbeaters seem better than my Shimano SPD for ease of release.
I do notice much more chain noise (chatter?)from the front than I am used to on my DF bike. My thinking is it has to do with the slight angle of the chain as it seats onto the chainring, especially under tension.
Thoughts?
I don't think chain noise is normal if the bike is in adjustment. I say this because I too am a relative newbie, I have Eggbeaters on my Beautiful HepCat, and recently got my bike adjusted because the cables had stretched a bit. Before the adjustment, there was a bit of noise. After the adjustment..... blissful silence. aaaahhhhhh. Enjoy!

If you think about how you sit on a DF you'll realize your body is positioned between drive train
and your ears, thus blocking a lot of the nose. And the sources of noise are further from your ears.