Go for more

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
well now that I have done a 10 20 and 30 miles, this sunday I am going with a fellow rider around my area for a 50 mile run. Any suggestions for this long of a ride besides water and some snacks?

I Did it!. The 280lb guy on a 35 lb mountain bike at that.

50.39mi Distance

3:30:46 Duration

14.3mi/h Avg Speed

5165 kCal

Congratulations Dave! That is a terrific result! How difficult was it? What did you learn about yourself, your eating and drinking methodology?

Brian in VA

How did your butt feel after 3 hours? That's what goes on me first on longer rides.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

How did your butt feel after 3 hours? That's what goes on me first on longer rides.

No kidding. I always tell people when I hop back on the bike in the spring that my distance isn't limited by my lungs or legs, but by how much punishment my undercarriage can take.

Well, as far as eating and drinking I was fine. Carried shot blocks and 3 bottles of water and I was good.

I learned that I really need to practice on the hills.

I learned that 3 hours in the saddle is probably equiv to being the new Biatch in prison. At least that is what I would think it felt like.

My legs are super sore and really felt like I could not even climb my stairs. But you know what, I wanted to go right back out on that 35 lbs mountain bike and do another 20 today.

Another thing that I learned and this is totally due to the guy (Adam) that I was riding with is there are bike trails and they rock. Seriously. I have been on busy main streets this whole time with all the traffic etc. When he showed me this ("rails to trails") path man was it great. But I know I need to start working on the hills. Yea i wont expect much til i loose some of the weight, but you know what I will get bigger and better leg Muscles for it when I do slim down.

Dave Pace said:
I learned that 3 hours in the saddle is probably equiv to being the new Biatch in prison. At least that is what I would think it felt like.
You're using your saddle wrong if riding makes you feel like that.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You're using your saddle wrong if riding makes you feel like that.
Well it was more of my tailbone that felt like it was hurting. not the bunghole.

Dave Pace said:
Well it was more of my tailbone that felt like it was hurting. not the bunghole.
Longer rides are the true measure of a saddle. If the tailbone soreness persists on longer rides, you may need to consider re-evaluating your position on the bike and/or your saddle position.......or finding a new saddle. Are you using bike shorts w/ a chamois?

Nope, and that is the issue. I figured since it was so late in the season that I would just wait till all the good sales and then jump on them then.

Originally Posted by Dave Pace .

Nope, and that is the issue. I figured since it was so late in the season that I would just wait till all the good sales and then jump on them then.

I recall going 55 mi sans chamois.

I bought 2 pair of bibs the next day.

I figured since it was so late in the season that I would just wait till all the good sales and then jump on them then.

Nashbar has (or at least had) decent training shorts on sale for $25 and $30 and Canari full zip lightweight long sleeve jerseys for $20 and hi-vis (extra safety during the dull grey Ohio winter afternoon rides) 1/3-zip long sleeve jerseys for $24. I ordered three pair of shorts and two jerseys. The shorts are plenty good to wear out on training rides and under tights. The jerseys are not heavy so they will be used as a layer and being thin, they are easily stuffed into another jersey's pocket.

Speaking of tights, the Cannondale 'Midweight' model (http://www.cannondale.com/apparel/fall-winter/men-s/2012-midweight-tights ) and Nashbar 'Mansfield' tights are warm enough to 25° or so for me. They run them on sale for $20 for the Mansfields sometimes and $30-$35 for the Cannondales on closeout. Like every online reseller, they run a 'sale' about three times per week. Sign up for all the mail order/online dealers' email notifications and you'll see the deals.

Dave, if unsure of you size, go a size or two up. You're a big guy and all the mail order houses are usually well stocked yet on the left over XL, 2XL and 3XL (when you can find it) sizes.

Not to be overlooked for good quality budget cycling wear...Walmart. There line of Starter brand compression and Dri-Star long sleeve tees ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-Wicking-Tee/20691710?findingMethod=rr ) work well for me. They have the sizes that will fit a larger guy also.

Good luck and ride warm and safe this fall and winter!

...The 280lb guy on a 35 lb mountain bike

50.39mi Distance

3:30:46 Duration

14.3mi/h Avg Speed

And without using bike shorts with a chamois. VERY impressive!

Oh.... I just picked up a new pair of size large (only a large) club shorts II at Performance for 29.99. I really like the new chamois in these shorts.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

I figured since it was so late in the season that I would just wait till all the good sales and then jump on them then.

Nashbar has (or at least had) decent training shorts on sale for $25 and $30 and Canari full zip lightweight long sleeve jerseys for $20 and hi-vis (extra safety during the dull grey Ohio winter afternoon rides) 1/3-zip long sleeve jerseys for $24. I ordered three pair of shorts and two jerseys. The shorts are plenty good to wear out on training rides and under tights. The jerseys are not heavy so they will be used as a layer and being thin, they are easily stuffed into another jersey's pocket.

Speaking of tights, the Cannondale 'Midweight' model (http://www.cannondale.com/apparel/fall-winter/men-s/2012-midweight-tights ) and Nashbar 'Mansfield' tights are warm enough to 25° or so for me. They run them on sale for $20 for the Mansfields sometimes and $30-$35 for the Cannondales on closeout. Like every online reseller, they run a 'sale' about three times per week. Sign up for all the mail order/online dealers' email notifications and you'll see the deals.

Dave, if unsure of you size, go a size or two up. You're a big guy and all the mail order houses are usually well stocked yet on the left over XL, 2XL and 3XL (when you can find it) sizes.

Not to be overlooked for good quality budget cycling wear...Walmart. There line of Starter brand compression and Dri-Star long sleeve tees ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-Wicking-Tee/20691710?findingMethod=rr ) work well for me. They have the sizes that will fit a larger guy also.

Good luck and ride warm and safe this fall and winter!
+1

Thank you all. I am looking at the Nashbar 1s right now Yea i don't want that kind of soreness again, Also i think I may need to tilt my seat back a little. That may help with it all. TY for all the support. And oh i did weigh myself today. 273. Considering i was 290 when i started this endeavor 1 month and 2 weeks ago, I think that that is a HUGE improvement. And now I can only get better and stronger.

Agghhh! "Their'...not 'there'! (in previous post)

Oh.... I just picked up a new pair of size large (only a large) club shorts II at Performance for 29.99. I really like the new chamois in these shorts.

Performance bought Nashbar a few years ago and their lines overlap a bit. Some of their house-branded items also are the same Nashbar item with a different logo.

Both retailers offer excellent deals if you can catch their sales (easy to do) or wait for an item to close out.

If your body type is small or extra-large you can find screaming good deals on clothing.

Ok here's the thing. You can be ad at your spelling, but right now I am mad that I can not ride for the last 3 days. This fing weather is holding me back and I have really never been this angry at the fing weather. I want to go riding. I got down to 269 lbs and I need it to keep going down but this fing weather is holding the workout that I love back. ARGGGGGGGGG.

Sorry had to get that out.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Agghhh! "Their'...not 'there'! (in previous post)

I buy (have bought) from both Nashbar and Performance... was thrilled to need some tighter shorts. But really happy with the chamois in these shorts... and at 30 bucks... hard to beat.

I feel your pain Dave Pace! I know the aggravation of wanting to be cycling... but not being able to. Weather can be a hold-back... as well as stupid family obligations [LOL]. I was lucky to get to my ideal weight (hence the new shorts in the size large)... before the winter season. But now I have to shift gears (sorta speak) into a winter training program. Hopefully there will be some nice threads on the subject of winter training and maybe core-building. Please let us know if you discover any decent ways to keep moving and burning away calories.

........ I need it to keep going down but this fing weather is holding the workout that I love back. ARGGGGGGGGG.

Sorry had to get that out.
You know.... I think it's refreshing to hear another cyclist gripe about... NOT being able to be cycling. Instead of like most threads where cyclist complain about the roads, paths, and motorist they share the roads with. I find true pleasure... and often real joy in this sport. I just can't relate to those who complain about such a great activity... that they choose to take part in.

Next time, try these tips:

1) a decent chamois to pad your rear end.
2) chamois creme to keep the chaffing down. (I prefer DZ Nuts.)

Once your butt is comfy, its all about figuring out how to fuel and hydrate your muscles. Each person is a little different. I find that I need to take in about 30-40 grams of carbohydrates per hour to maintain my energy. And you should drink 1-2 bottles of water per hour. Great going for your first run. That is exactly the time of my first half-century.