Go Hug!

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom Henderson, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Was just browsing the USAT "road to athens" publication and
    saw Laurie at # 3 on the top S women hopefuls list. Best of
    luck, Hug!

    Tags:

  2. Hug

    Hug Guest

    Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Was just browsing the USAT "road to athens" publication
    > and saw Laurie at # 3 on the top S women hopefuls list.
    > Best of luck, Hug!

    Thanks Tom...however, that publication was in alphabetical
    order...I was ranked 3rd to last for those who made it to
    the Olympic Trials! The race (in Honolulu on 4/18) was tough
    - choppy water (got trapped in the swim start and it took me
    600m to catch the chase group in the swim), slow T1 so
    missed riding with the leaders of the 2nd pack. There was a
    really tough climb on each of the 5 bike laps and brutal
    winds. Lotsa pain! I wanted to drop out soooo bad (esp after
    Joanna Zeiger and Maxine Searr did after the 2nd bike lap).
    However, I have yet to quit a race and didn't want Olympic
    Trials to be the 1st time! Legs were beat for the run, so
    not so pleased with my time, but happy to have just
    qualified to go to trials and not to have finished last
    <g>! There were 19 female starters and I ended up 13th (10th
    American).

    Think I may go back to concentrating primarily on non-
    drafting races, they are less intense! Maybe I'll see ya at
    Santa Rosa Island Sprint again this year - LOVE that race!

    BTW, I am surprised you even acknowledged that "road to
    athens" article, since I know how you feel about draft legal
    tris <g>! Personally, having raced in both formats (11 years
    non-drafting amateur, and 4+ seasons pro doing mainly draft
    legal, but also some traditional and a couple XTerras thrown
    in) I can say they are both TRIathlons, as are off-road
    events. They are all just different styles, like road racing
    vs time trialing vs mountain biking are all different styles
    of cycling events.

    -hug

  3. Rtk

    Rtk Guest

    Laurie, I know a few people who, 30 years after the events,
    are still thinking and talking about the time they made or
    almost made it to the Olympic TRIALS. We are still in awe of
    them and any pr pieces that are printed always include their
    accomplishment. It has never occured to me to ask what was
    their precise position in the trials or the races that
    almost qualified them for the trials. It looks like it's
    going to take some years for your self-assessment to catch
    up with your achievement. I wish I could look back and say
    something like that about myself. You are truly awesome.

    Ruth Kazez

  4. rtk wrote:
    > Laurie, I know a few people who, 30 years after the
    > events, are still thinking and talking about the time they
    > made or almost made it to the Olympic TRIALS. We are still
    > in awe of them and any pr pieces that are printed always
    > include their accomplishment. It has never occured to me
    > to ask what was their precise position in the trials or
    > the races that almost qualified them for the trials. It
    > looks like it's going to take some years for your self-
    > assessment to catch up with your achievement. I wish I
    > could look back and say something like that about myself.
    > You are truly awesome.
    >
    > Ruth Kazez

    Ruth, To even be able to race in Honolulu you had to be
    ranked in the top 125 in the world.

    JJ

  5. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ruth, To even be able to race in Honolulu you had to be
    > ranked in the top 125 in the world.

    If I made up my own sport and didn't tell anyone else about
    it, I'm still not sure I could make the top 125 in the
    world! :)

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
    en it was every other day. . . ."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  6. [email protected] (hug) wrote in news:d8bcdff1.0404260927.25c9f2a2
    @posting.google.com:

    > BTW, I am surprised you even acknowledged that "road to
    > athens" article, since I know how you feel about draft
    > legal tris <g>!

    As much as I bitch and moan about that format, I also
    recognize it's the only format available to those who have a
    shot at the olympics. Everyone who has reached that caliber
    in the sport has my respect. Heck, everyone who steps up to
    the edge of the water for any race has my respect.

    The IOC and USAT, on the other hand, need to be taken out
    back and "re- educated" for screwing up the format and
    compromising the fairness of the sport solely for the sake
    of the viewers.

    As far as the magnitude of your accomplishment, I think Ruth
    said it better than I can muster. You done good! Hope to see
    you at SRI Tri! Had a broken wrist last year, so I worked
    the transition exit. This year I'll be doing it for fun as
    my last race before IMFL. Save me a beer, I'll be finishing
    about a half hour after you!

    Tom

  7. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote:

    >rtk wrote:
    >> Laurie, I know a few people who, 30 years after the
    >> events, are still thinking and talking about the time
    >> they made or almost made it to the Olympic TRIALS. We are
    >> still in awe of them and any pr pieces that are printed
    >> always include their accomplishment. It has never occured
    >> to me to ask what was their precise position in the
    >> trials or the races that almost qualified them for the
    >> trials. It looks like it's going to take some years for
    >> your self-assessment to catch up with your achievement. I
    >> wish I could look back and say something like that about
    >> myself. You are truly awesome.
    >>
    >> Ruth Kazez
    >>
    >Ruth, To even be able to race in Honolulu you had to be
    >ranked in the top 125 in the world.
    >
    >JJ

    I think Ruth, a former World Age Group winner herself,
    probably has some understanding of the competition at
    that level.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

  8. Tom Henderson wrote:
    > [email protected] (hug) wrote in
    > news:d8bcdff1.0404260927.25c9f2a2 @posting.google.com:
    >

    >>BTW, I am surprised you even acknowledged that "road to
    >>athens" article, since I know how you feel about draft
    >>legal tris <g>!
    >>

    > As much as I bitch and moan about that format, I also
    > recognize it's the only format available to those who have
    > a shot at the olympics. Everyone who has reached that
    > caliber in the sport has my respect. Heck, everyone who
    > steps up to the edge of the water for any race has my
    > respect.
    >
    > The IOC and USAT, on the other hand, need to be taken out
    > back and "re- educated" for screwing up the format and
    > compromising the fairness of the sport solely for the sake
    > of the viewers.
    >
    > As far as the magnitude of your accomplishment, I think
    > Ruth said it better than I can muster. You done good! Hope
    > to see you at SRI Tri! Had a broken wrist last year, so I
    > worked the transition exit. This year I'll be doing it for
    > fun as my last race before IMFL. Save me a beer, I'll be
    > finishing about a half hour after you!
    >
    > Tom
    Look for the guy in the timing tent, I'll be there.

    JJ

  9. Hug

    Hug Guest

    Thanks for the kind words and I think you CAN say the same
    about yourself and your accomplishments in triathlon. How
    many people, especially females, over the age of 65 can
    claim to have finished a triathlon, much less an Ironman -
    you inspire me! I just lucked out to be born at a time when
    women are not only accepted but even encouraged to
    participate in endurance sports. (Cracks me up that people
    used to think women weren't strong enough for things like
    the marathon or other endurance events and now women are
    closing in fast on the men's times and even occassionally
    win events outright, like long distance open water
    championships...and it ticks me off that in the Olympics
    women still only swim an 800m Free as the longest event
    instead of a 1500m free - sheesh.)

    BTW, I was thrilled to be on the start line (16 US women
    qualified and only 14 started as 2 were injured), even
    though I had nearly no chance of qualifying. I had a big ass
    grin in the tent before the race and even was smiling
    throughout the bike (despite the pain) b/c it was just so
    cool to be there. I missed making Olympic Trials in the 400
    IM back in 1987/88 by a few seconds and was so grateful to
    have another chance to qualify.

    -hug

    [email protected]>...