Go Mick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by kanangara, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. kanangara

    kanangara New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/jun05/suisse05/?id=results/suisse056
    :D

    Parbs

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    aint it funny how some climbers are crap at TT'ing (Pantani et al) and others are quite good (Rogers, Armstrong, etc)

    wots the go with that?

    F"good on flats"Dutchman

  3. oely

    oely New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2004
    Wouldnt mention Rogers in the same sentence as Armstrong in regards to climbing yet. I hope he has worked on his recovery for the Grand Tours. Needs to minimise his bad days more. Though im not too surprised with the result, i think this is the first year he has really specifically worked on his climbing, plus i read that hes trying to up his cadance so he has something left when the shirt hits the fan at the business end of a race.

    By the way, there are strong rumours (apparently it was said on Belgian tv) that he has signed with T Mobile for next year. Dunno whether to be too happy about that, he could join the non-German wasteland of GC riders at T Mobile.

  4. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    well T-Mobilischen have to look to the future and Jan and Erik are getting a little "alt" und sie fanischen mit den sheissen gehitten * gezundheit, ge waffelung, ach dumbkopf* , aber Cadel , ihnen was sehr softern in den Collarbonen für den Bosses- "nichtwah"....:rolleyes:
    MR can write his own ticket, why settle for the Teutonic train, head bashing to get a ride with the Führer's menschen when he can embrace the world.....oh if Oz just had some world wide corporate entity with a penchant for cycling fanatacism, there could ride an ozzie team along with the pick of the riders wwith International licences..... , WHO WOULD YOU PICK FROM TODAY'S CROP for a TourdeFrogland team? ( that be a team to supply a rider who could win or top 3 on GC and Green Jersey and KOM )?

    would it be -"tell 'm their dream'n"- or "ahhh the serenity"

    :D

  5. oely

    oely New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2004
    Gotta make sense of this post :), you mean a team that could take all jerseys?

    Rogers (GC), Evans (KOM), McGee, O´Grady, Cooke, White, McEwen (Green), Crake (only other climber we got) Sutherland. Honourable mention to Davis and Vogels but Sutherland´s TT is a tad stronger plus he can probably climb a bit better too.

    Thats a team that could handle itself in the TTT and ITT (Evans if fit is no slouch). Could also give enough mountain support for the GC guy plus you have McGee, one of the best leader outs in the world, who could also stick around for the climbs. McEwen for Green with OGrady and Cooke for the leadout and domestique business. Plus Sutherland, White and Crake for straight out domestique roles.

    Speaking of which, Australia´s team for the World Champs will be one of the strongest. Imagine a leadout of McGee, Vogels, OGrady and Cooke for McEwen. He should podium the race no questions asked.

    Team "should" look something like (assuming theres 9 to a team) McGee, White, OGrady, Cooke, Davis, Wilson, McEwen, Vogels, Sutherland/Gates.

  6. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    Yep TEAM SHOULD, and all the jerseys....

    is Mick first reserve or orange slicer?

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > kanangara Wrote:
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/jun05/suisse05/?id=results/suisse056
    > > :D
    > >
    > > Parbs

    > aint it funny how some climbers are crap at TT'ing (Pantani et al) and
    > others are quite good (Rogers, Armstrong, etc)
    >
    > wots the go with that?
    >
    > F"good on flats"Dutchman
    >
    > --
    > flyingdutch

    After last night's ride home, I reckon I might be a decent TT'er. What
    do you think, Absent Husband? :p

    Tam (still a Hunter)

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    heyzoos! 3 sprinters in the same team bus

    "you guys ride for me today"

    "No, you ride for ME"

    "Whatabout me?"

    "you guys NEVER go back for the water and food!"

    "Right. 11T's at 12 paces fellla..." :rolleyes:

    PS what about that ex-mtber who's been doin good in the US recently. good climber

  9. kanangara

    kanangara New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Are you thinking about Trent Lowe? Not an ex-mtber yet, just filling in time between NORBA rounds.

    Parbs

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    no, not the one Im thinkin of, but he'll do! 12somethin on 1/20 is handy!

  11. oely

    oely New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2004
    Actually i half forgot about him. Take out Gates/Sutherland and put him in.

    Trent Lowe would be a good chance in years time if he concentrated on the road and raced in Europe. Wonder if he has plans for that. Thought maybe some teams would be interested in him after his Tour Of Georgia. Will Walker will be up there eventually also.

  12. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:51:27 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >After last night's ride home, I reckon I might be a decent TT'er. What
    >do you think, Absent Husband? :p

    you're a triathelete, an ITTer is all you are :)

  13. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:07:18 +1000, flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >kanangara Wrote:
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/jun05/suisse05/?id=results/suisse056
    >> :D
    >>
    >> Parbs

    >aint it funny how some climbers are crap at TT'ing (Pantani et al) and
    >others are quite good (Rogers, Armstrong, etc)

    Climbing is power:weight, flat ITTing is power:frontal area. *most*
    good climbers are low weight, some are very high
    power - Ullrich as an example of very high power and relatively
    high weight, Mayo as an example of low weight. Armstrong
    is somewhere in between. In a pure ITT effort (eg Sydney 2000)
    Ullrich is probably faster than Armstrong, but during a grand tour
    there's more at play than just a 1 hour effort.

    Also, there's two types of climbing - pure ITT and explosive climbing,
    sometimes an attacking climber (explosive) can break the resolve of
    an ITT-style climber by surging away and then settling back into
    a maintainable steady state - Pantani was good at this, maybe
    drug-assisted though ... It's also a mental thing, remember last
    year's TdF when Basso could go with Lance on the hills, but
    got destroyed in the Alp de Huez ITT? That was considerably
    influenced by Mayo's mental ability, I think.

    Sometimes you can have both, but it's rare, and is usually
    confined to GC winners in grand tours :)

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Carl Brewer wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:51:27 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> After last night's ride home, I reckon I might be a decent TT'er. What
    >> do you think, Absent Husband? :p

    > you're a triathelete, an ITTer is all you are :)

    1. a triathlon is not an ITT. for a start, the outfit is all wrong.
    2. i did a crit yesterday, so there!

    Tam

  15. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Well it's all over now, with Aitor Gonzalez winning. From the report it sounds like Rogers had a very tough last day, with no teammates to help him. Still, he's looking good for the tour, McGee is going really well as well, even claiming the mountains jersey at one point! Cadel Evans was strong as well but just a little off the pace.

    Adam

  16. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    i wonder if in that last hill/group the other ozzies (McGee, evans) 'help' rogers any?
    altho sound slik they were a bit off his pace anyhows...

    said it last year but this year's TdF is shaping up to be a cracker (as opposed to a procession, which the previous 12, not including the Dane's, have been...)

  17. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:06:28 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >2. i did a crit yesterday, so there!

    did you solo away off the front and win it? :)

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Carl Brewer wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:06:28 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >2. i did a crit yesterday, so there!

    > did you solo away off the front and win it? :)

    er... I dreamed about it that night though... saving that for my second
    race (thought it'd be a bit rude to do it at my first race... don't like
    to rub it in people's faces...)

    I was planning on working on the fact that it's mostly men, so if I get
    up the front early, they might be happy just sitting in behind... and
    forget about the sprint... not good tactics?

    Tam

  19. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:17:13 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Carl Brewer wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:06:28 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >2. i did a crit yesterday, so there!

    >> did you solo away off the front and win it? :)

    >er... I dreamed about it that night though... saving that for my second
    >race (thought it'd be a bit rude to do it at my first race... don't like
    >to rub it in people's faces...)
    >
    >I was planning on working on the fact that it's mostly men, so if I get
    >up the front early, they might be happy just sitting in behind... and
    >forget about the sprint... not good tactics?

    Excellent tactics, come race down here when Stu gets back. He'll
    appreciate a good leadout :)

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Carl Brewer wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:17:13 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Carl Brewer wrote:

    > >> did you solo away off the front and win it? :)

    > >er... I dreamed about it that night though... saving that for my second
    > >race (thought it'd be a bit rude to do it at my first race... don't like
    > >to rub it in people's faces...)
    > >
    > >I was planning on working on the fact that it's mostly men, so if I get
    > >up the front early, they might be happy just sitting in behind... and
    > >forget about the sprint... not good tactics?

    > Excellent tactics, come race down here when Stu gets back. He'll
    > appreciate a good leadout :)

    Nah, Melbourne ain't my style. I'd rather race in Europe ;)

    Tam