Go to the front!!!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
So the other day I was on a ride. I was actually putting in a good effort up a 2% gradual 3 mile climb. Not steep but if you're trying to keep your speed up, it can hurt.

About 100 yards up the straight section, I passed some guy who hopped on my wheel. Everybody has their opinions about uninvited wheel suckers but they annoy me if they are not willing to help.

I was just working out and trying to get some strength back into these old legs. So I was pushing hard but my MO was not to go carry other riders up the road. At the stop signs and red lights, I would move over to the right hoping he would help out. I even slowed a couple of times moving right so he would pass me.

As others have mentioned, why is everyone faster after you pass them? Just saw a video on YT that reminded me of this guy. Some guy doing his pace, you pass him at a higher rate then like a miracle, he is able to hold your pace. He was perfectly fine before you passed him, why does he have to pick it up and prove he can keep up with you? Kind of a stalker type thing imo.

So anyway, I'm pushing and pushing then when I gesture as if he should go to the front and help out, he avoids the signals and body language. I'm not on an organized ride, not racing, not on a team, why should I help this guy?

So after he avoids my several hints to go to the front, I tell the guy, GO TO THE FRONT!!

He says, I was just fine behind you! Yeah, I know but I owe this guy nothing for a free ride. If he wants me to help him, then he should help when I want help.

He kind of grumbled but hey, my lungs were getting ready to burst and he was benefiting from my efforts so maybe I should benefit from his.

So he whines but he goes around and I stick on his wheel for a minute then he fades and falls back. Well too bad I have to say.

If someone benefits from my efforts, I should benefit from his and if he can't keep the effort, that is his problem.

I've never jumped on anybody's wheel and expected help without going to the front to do my part. That is the way it should be if you are uninvited.

Of course some will say he isn't hurting you. But yeah, he isn't helping me either and if I ask, he should! :p:D:p

This is the video posted in another forum along with some comments that were similar to mine above. I will say though, looks to have been recorded with a Cycliq recorder. I have a buddy who boasted about his new Cycliq recorder. Heck, glad I didn't invest in once because it looks like **** ha ha! One of my recorders is a gopro Hero2 from the year 2011 and looks way better than this piece of junk recorder this guy used ha ha!

I wonder if the guy who posted this is German. :D:D:D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am indifferent on the subject matter to a degree. The thing I hate about a wheel sucker if they are someone you don’t normally ride with is they don’t know your riding style like your co-riders and what expect from you.

I am okay if they say can I jump in and they take the lead every so often to give you a break from cutting the air.

When I ride with my group we don’t have to say a word, the person behind knows when to take lead to give you a break.

I think sometimes when you happen upon these lone riders they are just cruising and when they find a fellow cyclist they want to be with someone to feel a bit of security of the unknown on the road. I try to remember this as it concerns cycling sometimes......safety in numbers.

That said.......a pick up rider should announce and ask if they can tag along.....I am always agreeable for the most part.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I am indifferent on the subject matter to a degree. The thing I hate about a wheel sucker if they are someone you don’t normally ride with is they don’t know your riding style like your co-riders and what expect from you.

I am okay if they say can I jump in and they take the lead every so often to give you a break from cutting the air.

When I ride with my group we don’t have to say a word, the person behind knows when to take lead to give you a break.

I think sometimes when you happen upon these lone riders they are just cruising and when they find a fellow cyclist they want to be with someone to feel a bit of security of the unknown on the road. I try to remember this as it concerns cycling sometimes......safety in numbers.

That said.......a pick up rider should announce and ask if they can tag along.....I am always agreeable for the most part.

Exactly, my buddy and I take 1 mile turns at the front. He is kind of dopey and can't keep track of the miles very well. So I let him know when to swap. If he pisses me off, I let him hang in the front a little longer. :D

But yeah, if we have a couple guys, we have an understanding and know when to switch. Some guys jump on the back and don't want to work. Not a fan of that type.

I have had a few guys ask if they can take my wheel claiming that they are struggling and need help. That is cool, I understand. But the obnoxious types that don't smile when I smile and say hello as I pass, really get my chamois in a bunch.

I remember one really cool experience. I was doing a solo 100 miles. I passed a guy who asked if I would work with him. I explained that I was doing a solo century and liked to ride alone. So he came out and said,"ok man, I race but today I'm having a bad day, I actually need some help to get back!".

Umm OK then! So he drafted me for a couple of miles, then took the front for a mile. Then I ended up in the front as he said he was really tired and beat doing a solo 60 miler. So he held on for another 6 miles or so then asked me to stop as he reached his destination. So I stopped!

He said,"here, I want to give you this since you've still got a ways to go for your 100!". He reached in his back pocket and pulled out a couple of gels and a bar. He said it was the least he could do for my helping him get back in one piece. I figured he must have really been struggling so I accepted them just to show appreciation for his gesture. :cool:

Reactions: Germanrazor