Go Triple or Just Change Rear Cassette?

rtsy

New Member
Jul 30, 2003
The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.

How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the rear be?

Thanks!

39X27 is only a little bigger than 30X23.

To switch to a triple, you'll need:

* New shifters, if they're STI
* New BB
* New crankset
* New front der.
* New rear der (maybe)

Cost: > $400 (+ all the adjustment associated with these new components)

To get a 27 cassette, you need:

* New chain (or add links to existing chain)
* new cassette

cost: ~$60

hope that helps.

-Jens

"rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
>
> How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> rear be?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --

On 12 Dec 2003 12:53:17 +1050, rtsy <[email protected]>
wrote:
>The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
>
>How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on
>the rear be?

I went from a 23 to a 25 and the difference is, well, incremental.

When I go to a triple, it will be a HUGE difference; I'll actually get up the local hills alive.

--
Rick Onanian

"rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
>
> How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> rear be?
>
> Thanks!

Or, for a little more money, you can go all the way to a 34t big cog. This will necessitate a new
rear derailleur, but still $300 or so less than a triple setup.

Mike

Changing the cogs to a 12-27 is very easy - only buy the new cogs and switch them. To get even lower
gears with a double you can use a 12-34, and then you will only need to change to rear derailer to a
mountain der if it's not already.

To change to a triple you usually need a new shifter/brifter, a new bottom bracket with longer
spindle, a new right arm and at least the third ring (sometimes you need to replace the middle ring
to get all the fancy grooves and bumps that improve shifting the triple), and maybe a new rear
derailer to handle the slack of the chain.

But with a triple you usually go with a middle ring that you use most of the time, so then you shift
the front a little less. That depends on your shifting style and the terrain you ride.

My preference: a double and then I change the cogs to suit my needs. I use a 12-27 for the local
very steep hills. 10 to 15% is common around here. For touring I used to put a touring crank on with
only a double but with a 46-34 or 48-34 combined with a 12-28. But now I use the 12-34 cogs with my
50-38 up front.

-Bruce

> "rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
> >
> > How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> > rear be?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > --

rsty-<< How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on
the rear be? >><BR><BR>

Or a 50/34 double crank......

> How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> rear be?

I recently got my first triple on my new commuting bike after only having ridden doubles. I find the
triple a huge PIA compared to my doubles - I feel like I'm constantly having to fiddle with the
front derailleur micro-adjustments to keep the chain from rubbing. When I stand the chain starts
rubbing and I have to micro-adjust further while standing. On my doubles I only have to do that at
the extremes of the chainline. Also, I've only gained 2 incremental smaller gears over the double.
It helps, but it's not the dramatic difference I expected.

I need the triple for my winter commuting, but I now know I'll always spec doubles on my fun bikes.

So to your question, I recommend sticking with the double. There are lots of threads in this NG
about using up to 30t cogs on cassettes and dropping to smaller-than-39 small rings in the front (I
forget the choices there), so you have a lot of room to grow over a 23t cog.

Michael

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 39X27 is only a little bigger than 30X23.
>
> To switch to a triple, you'll need:
>
> * New shifters, if they're STI
> * New BB
> * New crankset
> * New front der.
> * New rear der (maybe)
>
> Cost: > $400 (+ all the adjustment associated with these new components)
>
> To get a 27 cassette, you need:
>
> * New chain (or add links to existing chain)
> * new cassette
>
> cost: ~$60
>
> hope that helps.
>

> -Jens
>

> "rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
> >
> > How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> > rear be?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > --

...........Well, if he has shimano 9 speed other than DA, he does not need new shifters. All campy
ergo fronts also shift a double or triple.

"Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Changing the cogs to a 12-27 is very easy - only buy the new cogs and switch them. To get even
> lower gears with a double you can use a 12-34, and then you will only need to change to rear
> derailer to a mountain der if it's not already.
>
> To change to a triple you usually need a new shifter/brifter, a new bottom bracket with longer
> spindle, a new right arm and at least the third ring (sometimes you need to replace the middle
> ring to get all the fancy grooves and bumps that improve shifting the triple), and maybe a new
> rear derailer to handle the slack of the chain.
>
> But with a triple you usually go with a middle ring that you use most of the time, so then you
> shift the front a little less. That depends on your shifting style and the terrain you ride.
>
> My preference: a double and then I change the cogs to suit my needs. I use a 12-27 for the local
> very steep hills. 10 to 15% is common around here. For touring I used to put a touring crank on
> with only a double but with a 46-34 or 48-34 combined with a 12-28. But now I use the 12-34 cogs
> with my 50-38 up front.
>
> -Bruce
>
> > "rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
> > >
> > > How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> > > rear be?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > > --

......................well, if he has shimano 9 speed other than DA, the front shifts a double or
triple. Also, campy Ergo fronts shift a double or triple.

rtsy wrote:
> The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
>
> How different would a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> rear be?

Going from a 23T to a 27T will result in 17.4% less force on the pedals for a given climb. (27-
23)/23 = .1739

If you switch to a triple, you will NOT need new shifters unless you currently have Dura
Ace shifters.

Art Harris

I agree with Mike. It's possible to get the same low end as a triple by using a MTB cassette, MTB
rear derailleur, and new chain. Parts cost for me was under $100. Shifting is OK. I don't race and
the wider tooth spacing is not an issue. I replaced the 12-25 road cassette with a 11-32. I could
have gotten a 11-34, but those were going for more than I wanted to pay on Ebay.

I believe recently manufactured Shimano 105 and Ultegra brifters can handle both double and triple
front chainrings. Dura-Ace does not.

r.b.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<dpcCb.481$i55.346@fed1read06>...
> "rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
> >
> > How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> > rear be?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Or, for a little more money, you can go all the way to a 34t big cog. This will necessitate a new
> rear derailleur, but still $300 or so less than a triple setup.
>
> Mike

"J. Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ...........Well, if he has shimano 9 speed other than DA, he does not need new shifters.

I think that's only in the last year or so.

> All campy ergo fronts also shift a double or triple.

An advantage of Campy...

Matt O.

Originally posted by Jens Kurt Heyck
39X27 is only a little bigger than 30X23.

To switch to a triple, you'll need:

* New shifters, if they're STI
* New BB
* New crankset
* New front der.
* New rear der (maybe)

Cost: > $400 (+ all the adjustment associated with these new components)

To get a 27 cassette, you need:

* New chain (or add links to existing chain)
* new cassette

cost: ~$60

hope that helps.

-Jens

"rtsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The easiest combination on my road bike is a 39 teeth on front and 23 teeth on rear.
>
> How different woud a change to a triple on front be to a change to a 27 tooth cassette on the
> rear be?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --

You could replace the 39T with a triplizer and hang a granny gear, avoiding replacing the entire crankset. You'd still need change shifters and probably the front der as well.

It's shame 130 BCD spiders have become extinct.

Since you didn't specify otherwiser, everyone is presuming you have 130/135 BCD since you said road bike. If you've got non-road standard 110 or 94 BCD rings you can go with smaller chainrings on the double.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "J. Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > ...........Well, if he has shimano 9 speed other than DA, he does not need new shifters.
>
> I think that's only in the last year or so.
>
> > All campy ergo fronts also shift a double or triple.
>
> An advantage of Campy...
>
> Matt O.

...........NO, the 9 speed 105 and ultegra 9 shifters have been that way since they were introduced
in 1998. DA 9 was 1997,but it was only double.In 2002 DA offered a triple specific lever option.
Don't recall the year Tiagra came out,but it's also double or triple for the front.