Goals.............2010!

fergie said:
Come and race for New Zealand. We have a three tier approach to Para-Cycling here.
That is not possible even if I wanted to. UCI rules forbid it since I already have UCI points as an Australian competing at a UCI international event. Rule 1.1.033 applies.

Curses, although I am current training a Para-Skiing Champion from Salt Lake City 2002 for the pursuit in your classification but nothing motivates like good competition!

My goals for 2010, getting my bike split very close to, if not under the hour!

My PB so far has been 1:03.26 so I know I can do it

Hopefully this site will help me to get there.

When that's done, there should be a sub 2hr Olympic distance with my name written on it.

Number one goal: Get my cat 3 license by mid april. Shouldn't be too hard. Already have a decent amount of points towards it and my max, 30 second, 1 minute, 5 minute, and 1 hour power records are all up since the end of last season. Sprint is already up by almost 200 watts over August!

Number two: come into the race season in March at 165 pounds. Raced at 175 last season.

Number tres (thats three in spanish!): consume much less alcohol than last year (I'm in college so this is much harder than you'd think!)

Number four: attempt to get a few points towards my cat 2 upgrade in the late season (even if its only 2 or 3)

fergie said:
Curses, although I am current training a Para-Skiing Champion from Salt Lake City 2002 for the pursuit in your classification but nothing motivates like good competition!
What is possible however is to ride your championships if organisers accepted an entry from an independent athlete from another country. Of course I would only do that if it made sense for me to do so, from a timing and budget point of view.

Alex Simmons said:
What is possible however is to ride your championships if organisers accepted an entry from an independent athlete from another country. Of course I would only do that if it made sense for me to do so, from a timing and budget point of view.

Shouldn't be a problem. We have been sending Kiwi's to ride in Aussie Champs for years. Even if Robbie McEwen doesn't like it.

300 FTP

This is the year. No excuses. No injuries from lifting. No elective surgery layoffs.

I also was fortunate enough to be in a position to buy my brother a new bike this X mas. We rode together 20 years ago as part of a group and some of my fondest memories are crushing each other on various rides, and grabbing a cup of coffee afterwards, where the trash talk continued. We were always very close in ability so it was fun. He could outsprint me and I could outclimb him. And sometimes our standings overall in any given event didn't mean **** as long as I beat him, or was close. Over time, he allowed himself to slip back a bit each year, had some kids, until about ten years ago, he just stopped coming out. Some folks have golf, but this was really something we both enjoyed, and we lost a bit when he stopped riding. I could see almost the pained look on his face every time I mentioned a long ride so it wasn't even anything I could really share with him anymore.

So, ride with my brother and get him back into fierce shape where he can hurt me again is a big goal. He has much better genetics than me, so it is just a matter of helping him get out there regularly.

I also have good friends I have been riding with for some time. I'm spending too much time training alone.

That is great Kopride. Now you just gave me another goal, which is to find one or two people to ride with on a regular basis on the same level/enjoyment. I too have been riding mostly solo, and one person that I did ride with, doesn't take it as seriously. Group rides are great, but to have someone to meet up with regularly is the best.

fergie said:
Shouldn't be a problem. We have been sending Kiwi's to ride in Aussie Champs for years. Even if Robbie McEwen doesn't like it.
LOL.

Well I'm not sure what I'm going to focus on now. And it is affecting my training motivation as I respond well to having clear goals/targets, both short and long term.

I find it funny that our current #1 paracyclist thinks I should be targeted to ride #2 in Team Sprint, but I can't get a look in for a State squad. He also suggested that with the new classification system, the gap to Team GB may narrow as it will affect what riders can make up a team.

We'll see what the next couple of months brings. Meantime I'll probably focus on masters again.

gman0482 said:
That is great Kopride. Now you just gave me another goal, which is to find one or two people to ride with on a regular basis on the same level/enjoyment. I too have been riding mostly solo, and one person that I did ride with, doesn't take it as seriously. Group rides are great, but to have someone to meet up with regularly is the best.

I tend to train hard solo (mostly indoors) during the week; and then ride with others on the weekend. I am fortunate to have a group of about 5 like minded buddies who can at least ride hard enough on the weekend, that it is just a matter of letting them hang on, or circling a bit at the top of a long hill. If we get out enough together, we can really hum along. We have a final 3 mile stretch that we ride "Pirates Rules," i.e. hang on or be dropped; and most hills are every man for themselves up to the top. My goal is always to drop the group and get out of sight. When we are all in good shape, though, and they all hang on, it is more fun.

Most of my fitness is the result of the hard stuff indoors, but the group rides are really what motivates me to keep riding. People are social and you really develop some good buddies from hours riding together with no agenda other than be out there and have fun. And they become a useful yardstick beyond the numbers on your power meter. Get more than 2 people on a bike out riding and odds are there will be some point when you just have to see who's faster and by how much.

I'm passed the stage in my life where hours on the weekend tied up at a race appeals to me, but riding with my small "group" really is my sanity time away from the demands of kids, work and everything.

I can see my brother needs this escape even more than me. Parenting is hard, but parenting special needs kids like my brother does, is just another level. It's very tough on a family unit. I hope he really forces himself to get out there and ride his new bike.

Alex Simmons said:
LOL.

Well I'm not sure what I'm going to focus on now. And it is affecting my training motivation as I respond well to having clear goals/targets, both short and long term.

I find it funny that our current #1 paracyclist thinks I should be targeted to ride #2 in Team Sprint, but I can't get a look in for a State squad. He also suggested that with the new classification system, the gap to Team GB may narrow as it will affect what riders can make up a team.

We'll see what the next couple of months brings. Meantime I'll probably focus on masters again.

Good luck Alex. They are televising the tour down under up here in the states, so I look forward to seeing what kind of riding you folks have. This summer, my big trip is Scandanavia/Russia, but "down under" is on the agenda for a future summer as soon as we can swing a 3 week break from work. With round trip travel time of almost 4 days from the East Coast, and probably at least another day or two to recover each way, I'd like to have at least 3 weeks to see the area. Hopefully, there will be a little water left down there by the time I get there. It's a shame, we have too much up here.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but what are peoples goals this year in terms of miles or kilometres ( Depending which part of the world your from ) My chain of thought is that we could even update on progress throughout the year.

I'm aiming for 4200km ( also aiming ro run 1300km and swim 180km )

Off to a slow start so far haveing only ridden 200km

My goals this year were not set so much in terms of miles or kilometres as they were in "events"

I usually ride about 5,000 miles a year and would have done that anyway, but my big goal for the year was the Etape du Tour. A private group put together by a fellow that lives in Paris.

10 days in country, ride the Aubisque and the Tourmalet. Sadly that is now off the table, for the most sordid of reasons.

So, I have been wanting to maintain the training program I started for the Tourmalet ( that 1 day of riding would have been 175 km and 18,000 feet of climbing) and have been looking for other events or rides to do to fill in.

At this point this is what I am doing this year;

Moab Gran Fondo - May 1/ 2 in Moab, Utah.

Tour de Scottsdale - I do this every year but was going to give it a miss this year due to the trip to Europe.

Whistler Gran Fondo - Vancouver to Whistler - Sept 11. They are closing the highway for the ride!! It will be quite spectacular.

Those are the "events" I've signed up for.

In addition, I am going to go and Mount Revelstoke and the Mountain Meadows highway. Two very challenging climbs in the Purcell Mountains in BC.

I'm going to do the Golden Triangle this year - Golden, BC to Lake Louise, to Banff, over the Windermere Highway to Radium Hot Springs, BC and back to Golden. 320 km of spectacular mountain riding - have to wait for the snow to be gone though.

I may try to get down to Tucson at some point in March and see how far up Mt. Lemmon I can get before it gets cold ........

I'm just looking for "epic" rides now for this year.

Women can really throw your plans into a freaking tailspin. ...:(

Scotttri said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but what are peoples goals this year in terms of miles or kilometres ( Depending which part of the world your from ) My chain of thought is that we could even update on progress throughout the year.

I'm aiming for 4200km ( also aiming ro run 1300km and swim 180km )

Off to a slow start so far haveing only ridden 200km
Thread merged into existing thread.

Pretty new cyclist so my goals may not seem lofty, but they are goals non the less....My fitness/cycling goals are limited starting the year off as I am recovering from a Labral Tear Repair in my shoulder...with that being said.

1 - Get deeper into God's word and through that develop a vision for the next 10 years.

2 - Begin training for and complete the Hotter Than Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, TX. (Aug)

3 - Complete a Sprint Triathlon

4 - Complete a 1/2 Marathon