Goals.............2010!

DancenMacabre

Jul 17, 2009
Fellow cycling forum goers this is to inform you that only nine days remain for your riding pleasure in year 2009. apologies to forum goers on alternative calendars :D:D:D

what are your goals for 2010? you do have goals.........right? good, good. just checking you know ;)

how about hearing a few cycling related goals from the usual suspects/posters & noobs? they can be as specific or vague as you prefer..............ftp, CTL, races, wins/placings/podiums, miles, tt times, maybe even weight loss.

I have a few goals.

- not become a borderline alcoholic for the latter half of each year. All other goals revolve around this. This is my only 'real' challenge. I'd sell your stocks 'n shares in Smirnoff, Kettle One, Samual Smith and Anchor Steam breweries now... :p

- enter first race in 14 years - Everest Challenge. Might as well forget about starting small. 2 days, 28,000 feet of climbing. If the first goal is achieved this shouldn't be too hard.

- smash my sh1t talking friend into oblivion on Carson Pass at the end of the deathride. It's a personal thing. :cool:

- wash my bike more than twice a year. Washing the carbo drink goop of your bike in June from the previous years training that ending in July can be a little tricky.

- a w/kg of 5.0. Getting to ~345watts FTP wasn't too bad this year. Not really sure how I got there as the training seemed easier than anticipated and results better than expected but it'll be more of the same until the start of April when some longer rides will be introduced. I don't see when the FTP shouldn't be higher as my health has been better this fall/winter so far. Weight is an issue but "goal 1" should take care of that.

- buy a centrifuge and learn how to extract blood from the cows in a nearby field. Try and find out Vino's phone number...

hehe, hey DM......

I'm sure you know what my goal/goals are, but I like to post so here goes ;) :

1) Finish a crit (not setting any result goals yet)

2) Get my FTP in the mid 200's ( I figured I'll be conservative in the 1st year)

3) > 3,000+ miles for 2010.

4) Century rides

5) Just ride ?

3x20 min intervals at 275

Overhead press 150 lbs
bench press 225 lbs
squat 315 lbs
deadlift 405 lbs

try and be in all the final big moves in all the pro1-2 races i'm in..
do my best at state.. see where masters nationals are going to be held, and if not too far away, be as competitive as possible.dont get dropped on any sunday hammerfest training rides.
do 30 pullups.stuck at 28
do my 20 minute pushup test and break my best of 451

Thanks to my deploying for six months for the latter half of 2010, I can't really set too many goals.
But my number one goal is to participate in the 2010 Ride of Silence in Harrisonburg, Va on May 19th.
I guess other than that, just get in as many miles as I can before my deployment.

My goal for 2010 is not to set any goals :)

Last year I set some specific goals and the next thing I know I am working a boat load of hours each week through the year. 2009 went in the opposite direction for me and for my unemployed cycling buddies they made it even harder on me with all that extra training time available.

Maybe I should set some Hopes for 2010

1. I hope that I can train more and more consistently

Let's see:
  • To ride as much as I can
  • To avoid being in a gym and wasting time that could have been spent outside
  • To find the perfect saddle
  • To ride as much as I can

Double Centuries in CA:

Overarching: Lose weight, then ...

1. Devil Mountain Double in under 14 hours (206 miles, 18,500 feet)

2. Terrible Two in 12 hours (200 miles, 16,000 feet)

3. PR on Mt. Tam and/or Central Coast

4. Do better in CA Triple Crown Stage Race?

My goals to ride my bike in some new and interesting places with good friends, and to give myself permission to enjoy the ride without the need to always go faster or chase others.

DM, since you started this thread, shouldn't you go first.....what are your goals?

dhk - thanks. i have been thinking about these. so far here is what I got:

1 - have fun, stay injury-free, & make new friends on a good team

2 - get to CTL 100

3 - 3.5 w/kg FTP

4 - finish in the top 1/3 each of a:

• stage race
  • crit
  • TT
  • road race
  • points race
women's field sizes vary a lot so a top 5 might not mean much if there are only 4 women in the race :):)

5 - 200m in < 13sec

6 - 500m in < 40sec

i hope everyone meets all or at least their most important goals. 2010 is going to be a fun year ;)

I don't have any major goals, but here's one I've been working on for a while:

1) AP 300w for an hour on a flat course

I've done about 310w for an hour several times, but only on a hill, the main problem being that my standing FTP is still way higher than my seated FTP despite years of trying to correct that. However, I've got my seated FTP up to about 285W so I think that this year I should be able to pull it off!

1. Keep riding fun while still training hard.
2. Nudge w/kg to 5, not for the number but because that's about what I need for September's hill climb.
3. Figure out how to get to #2. About a 4.8/4.9 this year, but the gains have been small the last few years.
4. Hope that reading comments from Dave, Dancen, Alienator, AC, and everyone else will help me be a smarter faster rider.

-Ride my bike 5 x week all year long
-Complete LeRace (110km Hill Race/Ride) in under 4 hours
-Break my post comeback cycling times on the Sign of Kiwi and Mt Pleasant climbs
-Approach the 10/11 Track Season in good shape to hit my target of 3.45 for 3000m
-Ride a sub 24min 16km TT on the Old Tai Tapu Road

It's not a cycling goal BUT want to buy a van and spend the next few years rock climbing and cycling in Europe following the European pro tour.

Luke Bream said:
It's not a cycling goal BUT want to buy a van and spend the next few years rock climbing and cycling in Europe following the European pro tour.

That's an awesome goal. I gave up a good full time job to go back to school and now have heaps more time to devote to cycling and enjoying myself. Life is far to short to not be out enjoying the things you love.

I'm having to completely revisit goals for 2010.

I did have a major goal of a Silver medal standard ride in the 4km Individual Pursuit at Paracycling Track Nationals in February but the f'wits in my State federation have screwed up the selection process once again :mad: and so I have canned that totally and won't even be going. Really demotivating that whole episode.

Looks like Paracycling is a wasted endeavour and so I'm having to totally rethink my goals.

In the meantime, the goal is to sort out some new goals.

From a fitness POV it'll be to set a new PBs in aerobic power. I reached an all time high 20-min W/kg in November 2009, so reclaiming and bettering on that will be a fitness target.

Alex Simmons said:
ooks like Paracycling is a wasted endeavour and so I'm having to totally rethink my goals.

Come and race for New Zealand. We have a three tier approach to Para-Cycling here.