Goals Galore, v2.008

Alex Simmons said:
Alex,

This morning there was a news feature about the South African double amputee who was banned from running in the able body olympics because his prosthethics give him an unfair advantage over the able bodied. Once the runner gets to speed, he needs less energy.

I have to assume that there is similar product development for cyclists. See below for link to story.Hopefully, you will find something that will not only let you get back on the bike, but we will have to ***** that you have an unfair advantage over the rest of us. Good luck on your goals.
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080115_Amputee_is_barred_from_Beijing_Games.html

Felt_Rider said:
Good deal Alex!!!

Glad to see you are now spinning a crank.
What is the forecast to get to the next step (prosthetic, full crank and all)?
Do you have a lot of physical therapy still to go or is that done and it is up to you now to go forward?
Thanks. I've had no physical therapy at all, just doing my own thing. I started with learning how to stand one legged, balance etc, then walking with a frame, then using crutches. When ultimately I got my first leg, I still needed the crutches, then progressed to one crutch, then tossed that too. Pretty much all I've been able to do is stand/walk - but get better at each as I grow stronger. Now I can pedal (albeit in a modified sense), it opens up the world on aerobic training again, which I so desperately need.

Steve_B said:
I've been through this and I used to worry about the lower power but I've come to the conclusion that all that indoor work pays off big time in the spring. I have found that I'm pretty much OK once I get outside, assuming I've done enough inside (or a mixture inside and outside). I might be a few % low on capability due to the indoor stuff but it doesn't take long to wring that out of myself once I get outside consistently (usually March around here). Also, you're obviously better off for riding indoors rather than doing nothing. ;) :)

Turning off your brain is the operative phrase, for sure Rick. I like action movies for this as I really get into them and almost forget where I am sometimes. It's good for some L2/L3 time and I often don't really have to think about keeping the power up...bonus: when some really big action section comes on, all the sudden - holy smokes - I'm riding in L4 and didn't even know it. :cool:

Otherwise, I've found some of what I will call "ride videos" to be helpful. One that is on my list right now is the Spinervals Tucson DVD. Coach Troy does a ~1 hour climb up to ~mile 21 of Mount Lemmon (good for L3 or low L4) but I really like the next section where he goes from mile 22 or so up to Summerhaven (the top) in about 16 minutes. It's good for some high L4 and it almost totally makes me forget that I'm in my spare bedroom on a trainer. :) I've done this climb for real many times so the video footage on this DVD means something to me.

Does anyone know if the Tacx DVD's work on a standard DVD player? I think that their Video Cycling discs do but the Real Life Videos (that are meant for their VR trainers) may not. Anyone know for sure in both cases?

Edit: To be specific, this is what I'm referrring to. Video Cycling and Real Life Videos.

sorry don't know about the Tacx stuff Steve ...

rmur17 said:
bump ... this should be a sticky thread if there's an admin bloke out there somewhere!

rmur17 said:
I found out through a teammate who tried it that the Tacx DVD's meant for their trainers do not work in a standard DVD player (at least not one for Zone 1 [North America] anyway).

They do have a line of standard DVD's payable in any DVD player through. I "rode" La Marmotte this weekend and it's not bad, IMO.

ric_stern/RST said:
Well, AT (anaerobic threshold) is a misnomer of a term -- [some] people think this is TT pace. (it isn't). On the other hand some coaches think LT (lactate threshold) is also TT pace (which it isn't - it's about 10 to 15% less power than that which you can sustain maximally for ~1hr).

However, if you convert 103 lb to kg, your mass is 46.8 kg. Dividing your current power by that or your goal power and then checking this table http://cyclingpeakssoftware.com/images/powerprofile_v4.gif and seeing the FT column for women will show you what i explained in my previous post.

With what instrument are you having your power measured?

ric
Ric,

Being out of the game so to speak for just over a decade I've missed out on a lot of the new sports science info but the one point that you made is that LT isn't TT pace. From tests that I had done back in the mid 90's, including blood lactate testing, I did ride at my LT threshold for 25mile TTs. There was a clear point at which levels of blood lactate rose dramatically and this was the level that I rode at. This wasn't at the "universally accepted" 4mmol/l - but at 5.5mmol/l. We didn't have a powermeter on the bike so we had to rely pretty much on the Polar SportsTesters and keep the effort as close to 190bpm as possible when time trialing but power was measured in the lab. This was tested both indoors (crewe and alsager college, now "Univerisity of Manchester at Stoke" or something like that) and at the outdoor concrete track near stoke on trent - the ugly track with the football field in the middle....

I should have the graphs of this stuff somewhere in the boxes I had shipped over from England when I moved 9 years ago...

Are you saying that TT pace should be 15% higher than LT or 15% lower? If I rode at my LT on a rare Saturday afternoon 25 or an evening 25 then there was a risk of yacking up the midday snack in the parking lot - I couldn't image trying any harder, let alone pop out another 50 watts. Maybe old age is leading to confusion.... LOL

swampy1970 said:
...Are you saying that TT pace should be 15% higher than LT or 15% lower? If I rode at my LT on a rare Saturday afternoon 25 or an evening 25 then there was a risk of yacking up the midday snack in the parking lot - I couldn't image trying any harder, let alone pop out another 50 watts. Maybe old age is leading to confusion.... LOL
Discussions like these point to the beauty of Andy's FTP. It's Functional in the sense that it's what you can do without being pinned to some underlying and often difficult to measure physiological process. Pay atttention to FTP or if you must, HR at FTP or RPE at FTP and all it says is that this is your hardest pace that you can sustain for approximately an hour under ideal conditions. Relating all that to MLSS, OBLA, LT, etc is interesting from a physiology standpoint, but not very useful from the standpoint of pacing your racing or training efforts in the field.

-Dave

swampy1970 said:
Ric,

Being out of the game so to speak for just over a decade I've missed out on a lot of the new sports science info but the one point that you made is that LT isn't TT pace. From tests that I had done back in the mid 90's, including blood lactate testing, I did ride at my LT threshold for 25mile TTs. There was a clear point at which levels of blood lactate rose dramatically and this was the level that I rode at. This wasn't at the "universally accepted" 4mmol/l - but at 5.5mmol/l. We didn't have a powermeter on the bike so we had to rely pretty much on the Polar SportsTesters and keep the effort as close to 190bpm as possible when time trialing but power was measured in the lab. This was tested both indoors (crewe and alsager college, now "Univerisity of Manchester at Stoke" or something like that) and at the outdoor concrete track near stoke on trent - the ugly track with the football field in the middle....

I should have the graphs of this stuff somewhere in the boxes I had shipped over from England when I moved 9 years ago...

Are you saying that TT pace should be 15% higher than LT or 15% lower? If I rode at my LT on a rare Saturday afternoon 25 or an evening 25 then there was a risk of yacking up the midday snack in the parking lot - I couldn't image trying any harder, let alone pop out another 50 watts. Maybe old age is leading to confusion.... LOL
LT is a blood lactate level defined as 1mmol/L increase over baseline or typically 2.x mmol/L or as some use 2.5 mmol/L. Hence Ric's comment that LT occurs at a power output 10-15% less than TT pace. People have widely varying blood lactate levels at TT pace and there isn't much evidence to support the 4 mmol/L level (or any other level - as you yourself noticed) as being a physiological marker representative of TT power/pace.

swampy1970 said:
Ric,

I think the problem is confusion of terms. What you were told was lactate threshold is something most scientists would probably call OBLA, MLSS or some other confusing science term. Actual Lactate threshold is well, well lower than threshold-a recent lactate test gave me a LT wattage around 75% of my FTP (this occurred below 2 mmol lactate) while my wattage at onset blood lactate was just a bit above my FTP (which was somewhere just over 4 mmol lactate).

Alex Simmons said:
LT is a blood lactate level defined as 1mmol/L increase over baseline or typically 2.x mmol/L or as some use 2.5 mmol/L. Hence Ric's comment that LT occurs at a power output 10-15% less than TT pace. People have widely varying blood lactate levels at TT pace and there isn't much evidence to support the 4 mmol/L level (or any other level - as you yourself noticed) as being a physiological marker representative of TT power/pace.
It was "nice" too see every few months if the blood lactate levels and heart rate went up or down for a given power output in the lab but the actual "break point" in the lactate curve was pretty accurate in pointing out where to ride for a 10 or 25 mile time trial. It was actually more useful in someways for the 10 as it would stop you from starting too hard in the first couple of miles...

rmur17 said:
  1. Train consistently and stay healthy {good so far}
  2. Keep the weight down over the winter :eek: {good, hopefully lose 2-3kg from here}
  3. Functional Threshold Power (FTP): 420W (5.0 w/kg) within 10W as of March 1st :), new stretch target 430W}
  4. 5-min max. power (5MMP): 500W (6.0 w/kg){haven't tested, new stretch target 510W}
  5. MAP (25W/min ramp rate): 550-560W (6.5 w/kg){haven't tested, estimate 545W as of Mar. 1st, FTP/.75}
The rest require something I recollect called riding outdoors :)
  • PB on local TT short and long courses: (21k/46k)
  • Local big Sept. stage race: Podium overall and win TT stage.
  • Canadian Nationals: Podium in the M40-49 ITT
  • Help local U23 rider win the Natz TT (4th, only 16 sec from 1st last year)
Items 3 and 4 would be +20 to 30W to 2007 bests and all-time PB's (age 45).
update March 1st, 2008. Two good weeks of intervals so it's not just a blip as I suspected (or a drift in my CT as was my 2nd suspicion! :eek: )

rmur17 said:
update March 1st, 2008. Two good weeks of intervals so it's not just a blip as I suspected (or a drift in my CT as was my 2nd suspicion! :eek: )
Very nice improvement,is your goal 450 watts? .;)

daveryanwyoming said:
Discussions like these point to the beauty of Andy's FTP. It's Functional in the sense that it's what you can do without being pinned to some underlying and often difficult to measure physiological process.

What can I say? When push comes to shove, I'm actually a very pragmatic person... :D

Training for the RAM (Race Across America) ( in june 3,015 miles )

-Help my team mate to train for the RAM.
-Train daily
-Increase my riding Hours from 17 hrs this week to 36 hrs by the end of may.
-Finish the race in 6 days.
-Win the RAM (or top 3)

-Washington st TT ch. podium 50/55 .

-Washington st . TTT ch. 52km podium

Age 53 - FTP 350 w

Musher

musher said:

-Train daily
-Increase my riding Hours from 17 hrs this week to 36 hrs by the end of may.
-Finish the race in 6 days.
-Win the RAM (or top 3)

-Washington st TT ch. podium 50/55 .

-Washington st . TTT ch. 52km podium

Age 53 - FTP 350 w

Musher
Cool goals Musher. RAAM is a big undertaking, good on ya for taking on that challenge! It'll also be an interesting experiment in what happens when a strong TT rider with a high FTP starts working the ultra-endurance side of things. I have no idea what'll happen to your FTP or TT results, but I'm real curious what happens after a season of 36 hour training weeks. Keep us posted, it's sure to be a very unique racing experience.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Cool goals Musher. RAAM is a big undertaking, good on ya for taking on that challenge! It'll also be an interesting experiment in what happens when a strong TT rider with a high FTP starts working the ultra-endurance side of things. I have no idea what'll happen to your FTP or TT results, but I'm real curious what happens after a season of 36 hour training weeks. Keep us posted, it's sure to be a very unique racing experience.

-Dave
Thank's Dave, i will post my race results and experience.
Ride hard, Musher.

musher said:
Very nice improvement,is your goal 450 watts? .;)
oh no. I can't see that ever happening. 420W 'seems' attainable this year ... 430W is my new stretch target.

strader said:
I posted my goals earlier in the thread, but met some of them already, so it's time to revise. Here are my new goals for 2008:
1. 5w/kg FTP
2. Win a race
If I reach goal 1 then number 2 should be pretty easy.
1. This is a stretch goal for sure. Right now I'm at 4.2 w/kg and I can't loose much more weight. I am optomistic about hitting 4.5 w/kg and 300 watt FTP before the state championship time trial and cyclocross season.
2. Won my first race today. It was my second ever road race and I made a break with another guy about 13 miles in on the 33 mile race. We actually worked together (unlike last week where NO ONE would work with me) and opened a gap of about 2 minutes on the peloton by the finish. About 1 mile from the finish I dropped the other guy on a steep climb and hammered it home.

musher said:
So you'll be doing this as part of a team? It sounds like it if the goal is to finish in about 6 days.