Goals Galore, v2.008

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by NomadVW, Oct 14, 2007.

1. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

2. kopride

kopride Member

Alex,

This morning there was a news feature about the South African double amputee who was banned from running in the able body olympics because his prosthethics give him an unfair advantage over the able bodied. Once the runner gets to speed, he needs less energy.

I have to assume that there is similar product development for cyclists. See below for link to story.Hopefully, you will find something that will not only let you get back on the bike, but we will have to bitch that you have an unfair advantage over the rest of us. Good luck on your goals.
    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080115_Amputee_is_barred_from_Beijing_Games.html

3. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Thanks. I've had no physical therapy at all, just doing my own thing. I started with learning how to stand one legged, balance etc, then walking with a frame, then using crutches. When ultimately I got my first leg, I still needed the crutches, then progressed to one crutch, then tossed that too. Pretty much all I've been able to do is stand/walk - but get better at each as I grow stronger. Now I can pedal (albeit in a modified sense), it opens up the world on aerobic training again, which I so desperately need.

4. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

sorry don't know about the Tacx stuff Steve ...

5. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

bump ... this should be a sticky thread if there's an admin bloke out there somewhere!

6. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

I found out through a teammate who tried it that the Tacx DVD's meant for their trainers do not work in a standard DVD player (at least not one for Zone 1 [North America] anyway).

They do have a line of standard DVD's payable in any DVD player through. I "rode" La Marmotte this weekend and it's not bad, IMO.

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Ric,

Being out of the game so to speak for just over a decade I've missed out on a lot of the new sports science info but the one point that you made is that LT isn't TT pace. From tests that I had done back in the mid 90's, including blood lactate testing, I did ride at my LT threshold for 25mile TTs. There was a clear point at which levels of blood lactate rose dramatically and this was the level that I rode at. This wasn't at the "universally accepted" 4mmol/l - but at 5.5mmol/l. We didn't have a powermeter on the bike so we had to rely pretty much on the Polar SportsTesters and keep the effort as close to 190bpm as possible when time trialing but power was measured in the lab. This was tested both indoors (crewe and alsager college, now "Univerisity of Manchester at Stoke" or something like that) and at the outdoor concrete track near stoke on trent - the ugly track with the football field in the middle....

I should have the graphs of this stuff somewhere in the boxes I had shipped over from England when I moved 9 years ago...

Are you saying that TT pace should be 15% higher than LT or 15% lower? If I rode at my LT on a rare Saturday afternoon 25 or an evening 25 then there was a risk of yacking up the midday snack in the parking lot - I couldn't image trying any harder, let alone pop out another 50 watts. Maybe old age is leading to confusion.... LOL

8. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Discussions like these point to the beauty of Andy's FTP. It's Functional in the sense that it's what you can do without being pinned to some underlying and often difficult to measure physiological process. Pay atttention to FTP or if you must, HR at FTP or RPE at FTP and all it says is that this is your hardest pace that you can sustain for approximately an hour under ideal conditions. Relating all that to MLSS, OBLA, LT, etc is interesting from a physiology standpoint, but not very useful from the standpoint of pacing your racing or training efforts in the field.

-Dave

9. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

LT is a blood lactate level defined as 1mmol/L increase over baseline or typically 2.x mmol/L or as some use 2.5 mmol/L. Hence Ric's comment that LT occurs at a power output 10-15% less than TT pace. People have widely varying blood lactate levels at TT pace and there isn't much evidence to support the 4 mmol/L level (or any other level - as you yourself noticed) as being a physiological marker representative of TT power/pace.

10. whoawhoa

whoawhoa New Member

I think the problem is confusion of terms. What you were told was lactate threshold is something most scientists would probably call OBLA, MLSS or some other confusing science term. Actual Lactate threshold is well, well lower than threshold-a recent lactate test gave me a LT wattage around 75% of my FTP (this occurred below 2 mmol lactate) while my wattage at onset blood lactate was just a bit above my FTP (which was somewhere just over 4 mmol lactate).

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

It was "nice" too see every few months if the blood lactate levels and heart rate went up or down for a given power output in the lab but the actual "break point" in the lactate curve was pretty accurate in pointing out where to ride for a 10 or 25 mile time trial. It was actually more useful in someways for the 10 as it would stop you from starting too hard in the first couple of miles...

12. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

update March 1st, 2008. Two good weeks of intervals so it's not just a blip as I suspected (or a drift in my CT as was my 2nd suspicion! :eek: )

13. musher

musher New Member

Very nice improvement,is your goal 450 watts? .;)

14. acoggan

acoggan Member

What can I say? When push comes to shove, I'm actually a very pragmatic person... :D

15. musher

musher New Member

Training for the RAM (Race Across America) ( in june 3,015 miles )

-Help my team mate to train for the RAM.
    -Train daily
    -Increase my riding Hours from 17 hrs this week to 36 hrs by the end of may.
    -Finish the race in 6 days.
    -Win the RAM (or top 3)

-Washington st TT ch. podium 50/55 .

-Washington st . TTT ch. 52km podium

Age 53 - FTP 350 w

Musher

16. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Cool goals Musher. RAAM is a big undertaking, good on ya for taking on that challenge! It'll also be an interesting experiment in what happens when a strong TT rider with a high FTP starts working the ultra-endurance side of things. I have no idea what'll happen to your FTP or TT results, but I'm real curious what happens after a season of 36 hour training weeks. Keep us posted, it's sure to be a very unique racing experience.

-Dave

17. musher

musher New Member

Thank's Dave, i will post my race results and experience.
    Ride hard, Musher.

18. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

oh no. I can't see that ever happening. 420W 'seems' attainable this year ... 430W is my new stretch target.

19. strader

strader New Member

1. This is a stretch goal for sure. Right now I'm at 4.2 w/kg and I can't loose much more weight. I am optomistic about hitting 4.5 w/kg and 300 watt FTP before the state championship time trial and cyclocross season.
    2. Won my first race today. It was my second ever road race and I made a break with another guy about 13 miles in on the 33 mile race. We actually worked together (unlike last week where NO ONE would work with me) and opened a gap of about 2 minutes on the peloton by the finish. About 1 mile from the finish I dropped the other guy on a steep climb and hammered it home.

20. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

So you'll be doing this as part of a team? It sounds like it if the goal is to finish in about 6 days.