2009:

Training goals:

(Summer) weight: 87kg
5 sec: 1650 watts (19.0w/kg)
1 min: 870 watts (10.0w/kg)
5 min: 460 watts (5.3w/kg)
20 min: 400 watts (4.6w/kg)
FTP: 380 watts (4.4w/kg)

I think if staying healthy and being able to train consistently any of the goals should be within reach. Putting them all together at the same time might be a challenge.

Other goals:

If I can reach good level on FTP (say >360w) before the racing season starts here (late April) also participate to open/masters category races (due to very little amount of riders, we have a two category system: open and elite).

Re-entering a goal from 2008 that wasn't accomplished: ride 40km TT under 60min.

My goals are no were as lofty as you guys but then again I'm no racer just a guy who likes his riding. This will be my third summer of riding and would really like to take this to another level. I do good on my club rides and was voted most improved rider but still have that feeling I could be so much better so:
- Loose 30lbs to get to 200lbs, yes I'm a big guy but even at 230 I am around 18% body fat. Would like to get to this by May,
- Get 5000k in combined road and trainer.
- Ride a 200k+ ride
- Beat my TT best, our club does weekly 16.5k My best tiime was 26min at 38k on my roadbike
- Complete a tri a tri that's 400m swim, 10k bike, 5k run
- Help my club set up and organize a new century ride
- Save enough for a new bike
- Most of all have fun and promote cycling to anyone who'll listen
I really believe we should all have goals even though some may think my goals are kinda small they're big to me.

BigUgly said:
My goals are no were as lofty
Those are some great goals. Not only for yourself but for your club and for your sport. Reminds me of my duty to return the favour for the pleasure cycling has given me.

Have to say a lot of power goals being set here. Anyone actually trying to win something? I don't give a flying f**k about what power I do. It's a just one measure that gets me closer to my goal of medals on the road and track in Masters Racing in New Zealand and if I do good there it's on to Masters Worlds. Whole lot more to cycling than numbers on a screen!

fergie said:
Have to say a lot of power goals being set here. Anyone actually trying to win something? I don't give a flying f**k about what power I do. It's a just one measure that gets me closer to my goal of medals on the road and track in Masters Racing in New Zealand and if I do good there it's on to Masters Worlds. Whole lot more to cycling than numbers on a screen!
To be honest, I don't have a whole bunch of motivation to start racing "full time" again but I'm caught in a the quandry of wanting to do some of the local races but I know that even the 3rd cat riders around here have f$cking dire bike handling skills. When my FTP gets to around 320 watts and I can keep around 380 watts for 5 minutes I might feel a little safer entering that Old Farts/Cat 5 race on a steel bike with all my ancient kit on it... :p Some gems like Cinelli 1A stem with Cinelli 66/42 bars, downtube friction gear levers with a Malliard 7 speed freewheel attached to Campag Victory hubs and Campag Lambda strada rims. Hopefully I'll finish before the Smithsonian museum comes and takes my bike. My good kit and powertap will be safetly at home I tell ya.

fergie said:
Yes of course, but I think people are just following the mantra that goals should be quantifiable, time-limited and not dependent on the actions of others.

Here are my goals for the collegiate season (March and April):
290W FTP
61kg weight
Sub 6:30" time at Rutgers Prologue TT
Sub 11' time at Army HC

And my goals for the summer:
300W FTP
60kg

fergie said:
Then start a thread that says "2009 Competition Goals" There is a pretty broad spectrum of cyclists from the folks whose goal is finishing their first century, or not being dropped in the local group ride, to folks like you who have world class aspirations. In some way, power figures are some objective expession of personal goals for their age bracket. If some local rider's goal is not being dropped on the "A' ride, it might be meaningless to me because I would have to know how fast the ride is, what level the other riders are, etc. A ftp of x watts might be more digestible to certain readers who guage themselves on power numbers. Your benchmark is other New Zealand Master's racers (and ultimately world masters) -- worthy goals indeed, but that doesn't mean that everyone else's goals are lesser. Nor that there is no intrinsic value in reaching non competition goals. In some ways, it reveals our western orientation. It's like going to some 80 year old karate master and saying that his life's program of practice is meaningless because he doesn't compete at the local or World championships. To him, a closet full of hardware from various local, national, or international tournaments might be superficial. But there is something else about trying to perfect his technique that is uniquely valuable to him.

I have a great deal of respect for the 60 something local senior riders who have been riding together for 20 plus years, but don't compete at all. Or the ad hoc group that rides an annual charity ride and trains for it. Every community has the folks that come out rain or shine and lead local rides. Cycling has room for all these folks. We really need to resist our own worst impulses to treat these riders with contempt, and there is no need to express contempt for folks that set their own personal goals --whether they chose to compete or not, and whether the goal is expressed with a podium finish or numbers on a screen in their own basement.

swampy1970 said:
To be honest, I don't have a whole bunch of motivation to start racing "full time" again but I'm caught in a the quandry of wanting to do some of the local races but I know that even the 3rd cat riders around here have f$cking dire bike handling skills. When my FTP gets to around 320 watts and I can keep around 380 watts for 5 minutes I might feel a little safer entering that Old Farts/Cat 5 race on a steel bike with all my ancient kit on it... :p Some gems like Cinelli 1A stem with Cinelli 66/42 bars, downtube friction gear levers with a Malliard 7 speed freewheel attached to Campag Victory hubs and Campag Lambda strada rims. Hopefully I'll finish before the Smithsonian museum comes and takes my bike. My good kit and powertap will be safetly at home I tell ya.
I dug out my trusty ole training steed (531 main tubes, old Ultegra bits but no brakes and only downtube shifters) to use on my indoor trainer instead of my Seven ti Axiom, and I really noticed the flex in the Cinell 1A stem compared to my newer kit. So Swampy, don't waste valuable watts in an old rubber Cinelli stem. Much as I'd love a 1R stem with 66/40 bars and C-Record groupset with delta brakes on an old Master Piu, I know that what was great when I was a dreaming teen is now very old hat. Alas...

My goals for this year are simple - to try to keep improving and thrash my training mates. The rest (FTP, getting good in races) should hopefully follow on. FTP of 300 would be nice, I'm at 268 now but I suspect it's a tad higher.

fergie said:
I understand what you say from a point of view of a competing cyclist, but personally I am too old and untalented to even dream about winning something that would matter (I couldn't even win a local weekly TT because there are some national podium finishers participating frequently, not that it would matter anyway) even if I dedicated my whole time and resources to training. So the thing left to win is myself in the form of power numbers.
Well, I could add that my long lived goal is to beat the **** out of my training partners on our group rides but I guess that it is so universal that it is not really worth mentioning
biggrin.gif

frost said:
I understand what you say from a point of view of a competing cyclist, but personally I am too old and untalented to even dream about winning something that would matter (I couldn't even win a local weekly TT because there are some national podium finishers participating frequently, not that it would matter anyway) even if I dedicated my whole time and resources to training. So the thing left to win is myself in the form of power numbers.
Well, I could add that my long lived goal is to beat the **** out of my training partners on our group rides but I guess that it is so universal that it is not really worth mentioning
biggrin.gif
That is all that I have as a goal, but now that my bike wears a power meter for the past few months I have no option but to prove success among the skeptics in the group (we don't need no stinkin power meter to be good crowd) and not be labeled a poser. :)

Seriously though my group is watching with both skeptism and hesitation as I am the only one that uses a power meter and the only one that follows a SST type of training since getting a power meter in August. Some have recently felt the wrath on flat to rolling terrain where I excel, but now it is time for me to become a little sharper on the climbs.

One such case as a recent comment at the bottom on my blog from a friend as I am known to be the weakest climber in the group for the last 3 years. Much more work to be done though. Much more

grahamspringett said:
I dug out my trusty ole training steed (531 main tubes, old Ultegra bits but no brakes and only downtube shifters) to use on my indoor trainer instead of my Seven ti Axiom, and I really noticed the flex in the Cinell 1A stem compared to my newer kit. So Swampy, don't waste valuable watts in an old rubber Cinelli stem. Much as I'd love a 1R stem with 66/40 bars and C-Record groupset with delta brakes on an old Master Piu, I know that what was great when I was a dreaming teen is now very old hat. Alas...

My goals for this year are simple - to try to keep improving and thrash my training mates. The rest (FTP, getting good in races) should hopefully follow on. FTP of 300 would be nice, I'm at 268 now but I suspect it's a tad higher.
I really think that stiffness is overrated and if anything detracts from the comfort of the bike... but that's for another discussion entirely.

Just saying, more to cycling than numbers on a screen.

Too Old. Sorry, don't buy that one.

I'm not planning on winning the Tour in 2009 but my goals are no less important to me than the ones that Lance Armstrong or Carlos Sastre are setting. If I achieve my racing goals I expect I will hit any power targets along the way. Hardest thing will be at the big races I will not have a power meter.

My goal is to loose 10 lbs before the season starts. Right now, I really don't know what my FTP is since I haven't tested it for such a long time. Only indication that it is improving is my 100 minute training ride.

I don't race either, so I feel my goals are more modest.

- ride 20 minute intervals on my KK trainer this winter > 255 W (as measured using the KK power thingie)
- buy a powertap so I can (hopefully) get better feedback on the road after the winter
- drop my ride buddies, or at least make them hurt
- hang on until the finish on that Thursday night hammerfest group ride
- and one day, reach the magic number of 300 W FTP

How the hell do you guys get up to and over 300 W anyway? It's so difficult for me to sustain I almost can't believe it's humanly possible - then I read that some professionals maintain almost 500 W in a time trial. Wow.

Yojimbo_ said:
I don't race either, so I feel my goals are more modest.

- ride 20 minute intervals on my KK trainer this winter > 255 W (as measured using the KK power thingie)
- buy a powertap so I can (hopefully) get better feedback on the road after the winter
- drop my ride buddies, or at least make them hurt
- hang on until the finish on that Thursday night hammerfest group ride
- and one day, reach the magic number of 300 W FTP

How the hell do you guys get up to and over 300 W anyway? It's so difficult for me to sustain I almost can't believe it's humanly possible - then I read that some professionals maintain almost 500 W in a time trial. Wow.
My coworker's (who is a Cat-2) team is occasionally invited to ride with pro teams. Recently his team was invited to do a 75 mile "conversation paced" ride with the Jittery Joes team. He said the first 50 miles they had a 25 mph average and while he was doing good to hang on the back of the group nearly ready to puke the guys on the Jittery Joes team were all sitting up joking and talking. (he ended up with an illness a couple days after the ride and is still sick 2 weeks later, which is causing him to fall even further behind his teammates.)

Here I am wondering the same as you and can't phathom me sustaining 300 W and yet my coworker is wondering the same thing when he gets invited to some of these rides. Then again he works full time now, whereas, the rest of his team primarily (several are Cat-1's) train long hours through the week. I suppose when you have found the purpose of your genetics and have nothing to do but train and rest things go well. :)

Yojimbo_ said:
How the hell do you guys get up to and over 300 W anyway? It's so difficult for me to sustain I almost can't believe it's humanly possible
Having the time to train, having focus, and genetics can not be denied.

I'm sure that you can spend some amount of time above 300 W. It's just a question of how much time you can do it. Maybe it's seconds, maybe it's minutes, maybe it's hours. The higher your FTP, the longer you can do it for.

Felt_Rider said:
Here I am wondering the same as you and can't phathom me sustaining 300 W and yet my coworker is wondering the same thing when he gets invited to some of these rides. Then again he works full time now, whereas, the rest of his team primarily (several are Cat-1's) train long hours through the week. I suppose when you have found the purpose of your genetics and have nothing to do but train and rest things go well. :)
I have logged some 20 minute intervals at 300W, but sustaining it for a full hour does seem pretty daunting. I plan to test outdoors in a few weeks so I will let you know. Right now, I would estimate that I am above my last test of 284, but less than 300. The incremental jump from 280 up seems much more dificult than the initial large gains I achieved after I got the PT.

I am no Cat 1 and have pretty ordinary genetics so I do think 300 W FTP for a 165 pound fit cyclist (or a comprable power to weight for a lighter rider) is achievable by weekend warriors like us with some dedicated training indoors. As we have mentioned, work, family, other cross training pursuits all can interfere with reaching that goal, but I don't think it is outside the potential of a very fit cyclist who has logged some miles in.

Now, riding and training with pros is another story. Back in the 80s, my brother was a very good runner locally and on the state level. He went to Villanova and ran with various world class Olympians including Sydney Maree, Marcus O'Sullivan. So, he trained with these guys every day. Suffice it to say that the difference between very good and elite is really significant. If you are very good, you might be able to survive a training run with some of them where they tool around at a low 5 minute mile pace for a few miles. but you're not going to be able to train with them for even a few days. He literally spent four years being almost constantly sick and fatigued from overtraining and never really could figure out why he could just not train himself to greatness. This is a guy that could run a 4:15 mile, he just couldn't run faster and couldn't run 4:15 consistently week after week no matter how much he trained. At an elite program like 'Nova at the time, they pretty much didn't even have a seat on the team bus for you if that was your best. At some point, you have to choose your parents carefully, start out at the right time, and then training and coaching can make the whole deal work.

The same is true in cycling. In the early 90s, we used to have some of the sponsored Pros racing the Corestates/First Union/Wachovia/Commerce(US Pro Cycling Championship) ride with some of the local clubs in the days before the race in early June. Obviously, they were not going out super hard a day or so before the race. Usually, it was just a favor to a local bike shop owner/sponsor that they were even on the ride and often they had trained with their team earlier in the day. But it was crushing even trying to hang with them during a normal club ride. A no name pro could suddenly just take it up and drop a whole pack of Cat 2,3, and 4 riders and open a gap where you wouldn't even see them on a flat road with no obstructions. Its just another level. There is as much difference between them and the typical club rider as there is between you and the person that puts 20 minutes on the Lifecycle at the gym before he starts his workout. its not just that they have an FTP that is 30 to 40 % higher. But they can cruise along for hours and days at levels that would be well on the downside of the overtraining curve for any normal rec rider or racer.

Its just true in almost any activity. Play ten minutes of pick up basketball with a scrub on a D1 basketball team. Do a blocking drill with a scrub D1 football lineman. Spar a round with an average local Golden Gloves boxer. Even if you survive, that in no way compares what it would be like to compete with them in their game under real conditions. There is competent, good, very good, and then elite. And the gap between each incremental level is huge.

So that's the tricky part. Setting goals that are achievable and stretch current abilities, but not setting the bar so high that it is just discouraging. And the goals have to account for work, family, and other interests, or they are just as unrealistic as if you set your goal of riding the TdF this year.

kopride said:
So that's the tricky part. Setting goals that are achievable and stretch current abilities, but not setting the bar so high that it is just discouraging. And the goals have to account for work, family, and other interests, or they are just as unrealistic as if you set your goal of riding the TdF this year.
Honestly for me atleast, as dumb as it may sound, too much knowledge is a bad thing. This only reflects on me but I got way too much into cycling and all the details of watts, intervals, racing and to be honest, ruined it for me. My best time is still when I finished my first challenege of riding my bike from NYC to Boston and doing my own version of touring. And I see so many guys come into Zoli's room, eyes wide open and full of thrill than a few months later looking to sell their bike.

I am honestly turning myself back into the gym rat that I was where just riding the bike to work, taking it on a vacation and doing a tour is where I want to be. I am having alot more fun with the weights and trying to turn my body bigger/toner and looking great!

Which is why I started all this a long time ago...it was not to keep up with someone in a park at daybreak on a Saturday morning or weeknight. Honestly if I never do a 300lb deadlift that will be fine...just as long as I look like I can...:).

My goal is now 200lbs and a bf at about ~10% or less...

Come to think about it as far as the "elite". I am sure there is plenty of **** I can do that the "elite" can not in life....no matter what Armstrong does in the Tdf he will not have half the chicks that Brad Pitt can get...so much for genetics!...:D

-js