Goals Galore, v2.009

Meek One said:
Alex, how well did you ride before the accident?
I suppose that depends on what you mean. I'm of fairly average physiology for a Masters-age racer.

Physiologically, 7 months after getting prosthetic and putting bike on trainer to see if I could pedal:

FTP now 275W v previous best 315W (@ 87%)
MAP now 385W v previous best 399W (@ 96%)
5-sec MMP now ~ 1150W v previous best ~ 1400W (@ 82%)*
Mass now ~ 85-86kg v previous 80kg (@ 106%)**

* am going by memory there, I'd have to check

** although really that doesn't account for the mass of my missing lower leg, so a fair comparison would see my previous mass lowered by a few kg I suppose. I really don't know how much legs weigh :D

Results wise, well I was good enough to podium at Masters championships. 2 weeks before my accident I made podium at National Masters Track Champs in the Points race and in December before that I won an open crit (which I suppose would be classed as a Cat 3). Our masters track competition does include world standard riders.

Also had won State title in Teams Pursuit. But in say Individual Pursuit, I am never going to threaten the faster guys, at least here (it is very competitive with world class times being ridden at out local championships).

As a new goal, I have only just received the performance standards for the National Track Paracycling Champs (which are run in parallel with the elite).

Based on that, a stretch goal would be to win a National Title in 2010. To win a title (or medal), you not only need to be fastest but must meet a minimum performance standard. But I'd need to be putting out at least the same power as before to do that (and/or find some good aero gains).

michaeldmanthey said:
[2. Start to chip away at my body fat level at a slow rate and hopefully be at

Have you tried "the Drip" eating method? I started it last week and unexpectedly lost 4 lbs. I was not really trying to lose weight but after consistently weighing the same 156 since August it was crazy seeing the scale at 152. :)
I know I'm probably going to kick myself for asking... but do tell.

Meek One said:
My goals:

Sub-hour 40K TT (never ridden a 40K TT)
and
1000+ for 30sec
1000+ for 30 seconds? Dear God.... Curt Harnett's in da house I see.

How much of a challenge do you think the 40K is going to be? I took a quick looksie in the FTP list and didn't see an entry in there for ya but do you have any idea of what power you can maintain for one hour? How big are you?

Meek One said:
Frost, shouldn't you DOMINATE Finnish Track Racing?!? :cool:
Dominate a what
tongue.gif
. We have a full three (outdoor) velodromes in the whole country out of which two are concrete and the one that would be within training distance is made of plywood and probably not fixed for last 15 years. Well that's of course a poor excuse, there are some track riders in Finland and some even successful.

But being realistic, first of all this is a "Goals Galore", I haven't reached the watts and might never reach. I am very goal oriented and "may sometimes" set exaggareted goals to push myself. Second, even I may have properties for Kilo or Keirin I miss sheer leg strength to ever reach needed peak watts but most of all the history of cycling. I could never imagine fighting positions elbow to elbow at 60kph! I am scared at group rides having more than 4 riders
redface.gif
Have I started 25-30 years ago and grown into cycling it could be a different story.

I've changed my goals to be a simple one.

Ride for 4 weeks uninterupted at a time.

Just got over a second bout of throat/chest infection (5 weeks total including a week off in the middle as leeway to 'ensure' that I was over the first 2 weeks of illness), some ****ling back issues before that which kept me off the bike for a little while... as well as the majority of last year off the bike and a few too many work interuptions along the way. I did manage 7 weeks solid in October/November of last year, so there's hope.

Today I got sideswiped in a car accident and the car's in a towing yard almost 100 miles from home. I was making a left turn into a parking lot, on a two lane road (one lane each direction) when some kid who was several cars behind me decided that me slowing down the line of cars to make a left turn was out of order and took a quick trip into the other lane in his home brew turbocharged Saturn and as I turn left he 'nudged', ok battering rammed me back into my lane, removing the front fender, bumper and smashing the wheel/control arms/shocks on my side of the front of the car into the engine... He was still on the gas when he hit me - the tell tale "chirp" of the wastegate didn't happen until after the bang and his tire marks didn't start until after I'd come to a stop.

Thankfully, the two cars that were originally between myself and said kid, hung around for the cops to show and told them what happened.
I'm alright, somewhat banged up and my little girl's fine and dandy - but she's more upset about her "ladybug car" as she calls it (a red miata mx-5 with black hardtop) maybe going "to car heaven" - gotta wait on the insurance estimate on that one. Thankfully too the kids girlfriend who was in the front passenger seat was OK too.

I'm beginning to thing that actually getting some training done is some mystical alternate reality that may/may not happen... especially after the six or so months off the bike last year.

Then again, I've read what Alex has been through and he's still at it... Even with the 10 years off the bike I still want to ride, but this is starting to get old. Maybe I'll take a leaf from TonyZ's book and lump down some of those 800mg Ibuprofens and take an easy ride... NOT! :p

I gotta say, the kids car was quick - I'd checked my mirrors only seconds earlier and he was nowhere to be seen. I've got a SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) regional championship to my name (the San Francisco region is one of the more competitive in the country) so I've a good understanding of how fast cars accerate/decelerate but I'll be damned if his jallopy wasn't as quick as a Mitsu Evo 9.

Maybe I'm just cursed not to drive the same MX-5 Miata for more than 18months. First I'm parked at a traffic light when some russian dude in a 18 wheeler decides that red lights are for pussies in downtown San Francisco and does a James Bond with the killer lugnuts down the side of the car whilst trying to turn infront of me, dragging my car onto the curb. Then last year I'd stopped in traffic on I-80. I'd even put on the parking brake and grabbed the coffee cup for a sip of weapons grade 'joe', when some dumb bint in an SUV hit me from behind, shortening my car by a foot or so (you don't have much room to spare in a miata... and the only thing that save my ass was the FIA approved Sparco racing seat). That she had 'smudged' makeup on her face and was on the cell phone as she got out of the car could lead one to believe that she was otherwise "preoccupied". I got "blue book" value for the car but that didn't account for the $2,000 of recently done suspension work, revalved shocks and ride height/corner weighing/tire shaving in prep for the following racing season. Now this... It could be that the $900 (and that's with Mazdaspeed 'racer' discount - $1500+ retail from a dealer) in new emissions equipment is down the toilet...

Maybe it's just that drivers are **** overhere. I drove 75,000 miles a year in England from 94 to 99 and not a single tap, lovebump or ding in the doors from people in parking lots.

Bummer 'bout the car. At least no-one injured.
Keep the faith Swampy. You'll get that 4 weeks!

I did a TT today. Power not quite what I'd have liked (43 min @ 264W / 268NP) but prosthetic connection not great today and stump quite sore :( It'll be fine though. Shame, I was stomping this week. Try again next month.

Alex Simmons said:
Bummer 'bout the car. At least no-one injured.
Keep the faith Swampy. You'll get that 4 weeks!

I did a TT today. Power not quite what I'd have liked (43 min @ 264W / 268NP) but prosthetic connection not great today and stump quite sore :( It'll be fine though. Shame, I was stomping this week. Try again next month.
Got one week in... but everyone at work and most of the family just started coming down with the latest bout of whatever is going around... :mad:

New meds seem to be working too... Lost 6lbs in one week - 5 of which are probably from all the **** I coughed up and stuff that drained from my sinuses.... :eek: I'm on the "I don't know what you have.... but just take everything and it should get better" plan. I have a small pharmacy in the bedroom - everything but antibiotics. :D

Alex Simmons said:
Alex Simmons said:
I'm still thinking about mine.

I sorta have long range goals for several years out, and short term ones for next few months but in between is tricky.

So let's have a go at the shorter range goals:
1. Work up to a regular 2hr long core endurance ride*
2. Start 2009 with an FTP at 250W+ and a body mass sub-90kg
3. Sub 44-second 500m TT on 28-Nov-08. 42-sec would be nice.
4. Commence mass start track racing by end of 2008/09 Aussie summer

* This is not as easy as it sounds - my stump does still get sore and I have issues with socket fit over time as I ride. By core endurance I mean ~ 75-80% of FTP.
OK, 2009 hasn't started yet but I did say these were short term goals.
1. Not yet.
2. Tick. 275W and 87.5kg
3. Tick. 41.9 seconds
4. Have raced once track evening and will be doing a couple of carnivals over next month.

Thinking longer term, this is still hard:
- push FTP north of 3.5 W/kg
- sub 22-sec start lap on 250m track (thinking longer term for Paralympic Team Sprint)
- maybe* attempt to qualify for State squad for National Track champs Feb 09
- sub 4-min 3km pursuit at State Masters Mar 09
- compete at National paracycling road champs Apr 09

* might be a bit early to make that one
OK, so where do we stand? My first season is done. Having a short break (most of this week off then light riding for a week or so).

1. Tick, have had regular 2 hr core endurance rides (and some longer endurance rides)
2. OK, reached 275W FTP, sort of still thereabouts depending on race data. I have 1-hr race NP of 286W (during a 2hr race), 38-min TT NP of 274W, 52-min TT NP of 269W. Mass down to 81kg.
3. Tick as previously noted.
4. I raced and finished the State Masters Points Race Championships (came 6th)

As for those longer term goals:
Have not attained an FTP of 3.5 W/kg yet. At ~ 3.4.
Start lap focus in 2nd half of year
Sub-4-min 3km pursuit by march was a bit ambitious
Two x Silver medals from National paracycling championships (TT & road race) + 2 x Gold at Oceania Championships (TT & road race)

Goal re-evaluation as follows:

Longer Term Goals (as at May 2009):
To be re-evaluated after Feb 2010 track nationals
Kilo to be priority, ultimately aiming to be top 3 of all para categories by 2011/12. This pushes for 2012 Paralympic selection in team sprint.

Medium Term Goals (as at May 2009):

1. Attain podium standard performance level at Track Nationals, Feb 2010 (whether that results in podium depends on competitor numbers at that standard) Stretch goal to be Silver medal standard by Feb 2010
Specific events are Kilo TT and 4km Pursuit.
Event standards (Gold / Silver / Bronze):
Kilometre TT: 1:16.631 / 1:18.091 / 1:20.280
4km Pursuit: 5:03.404 / 5:09.075 / 5:17.582

2. Continue all round development as a rider - ability to ride competitively with prosthetic . Lift mean maximal power/mass ratio across key durations (FTP / MAP / 1-min and sprint)

3. Further prosthetic development - new cycling specific leg in use by Aug/Sep 09

4. Refinement of riding position with new prosthetic / work on better aerodynamics seek 5% reduction in pursuit CdA (currently ~ 0.26m^2)

Alex Simmons said:
OK, so where do we stand? My first season is done. Having a short break (most of this week off then light riding for a week or so).

1. Tick, have had regular 2 hr core endurance rides (and some longer endurance rides)
2. OK, reached 275W FTP, sort of still thereabouts depending on race data. I have 1-hr race NP of 286W (during a 2hr race), 38-min TT NP of 274W, 52-min TT NP of 269W. Mass down to 81kg.
3. Tick as previously noted.
4. I raced and finished the State Masters Points Race Championships (came 6th)

As for those longer term goals:
Have not attained an FTP of 3.5 W/kg yet. At ~ 3.4.
Start lap focus in 2nd half of year
Sub-4-min 3km pursuit by march was a bit ambitious
Two x Silver medals from National paracycling championships (TT & road race) + 2 x Gold at Oceania Championships (TT & road race)

Goal re-evaluation as follows:

Longer Term Goals (as at May 2009):
To be re-evaluated after Feb 2010 track nationals
Kilo to be priority, ultimately aiming to be top 3 of all para categories by 2011/12. This pushes for 2012 Paralympic selection in team sprint.

Medium Term Goals (as at May 2009):

1. Attain podium standard performance level at Track Nationals, Feb 2010 (whether that results in podium depends on competitor numbers at that standard) Stretch goal to be Silver medal standard by Feb 2010
Specific events are Kilo TT and 4km Pursuit.
Event standards (Gold / Silver / Bronze):
Kilometre TT: 1:16.631 / 1:18.091 / 1:20.280
4km Pursuit: 5:03.404 / 5:09.075 / 5:17.582

2. Continue all round development as a rider - ability to ride competitively with prosthetic . Lift mean maximal power/mass ratio across key durations (FTP / MAP / 1-min and sprint)

3. Further prosthetic development - new cycling specific leg in use by Aug/Sep 09

4. Refinement of riding position with new prosthetic / work on better aerodynamics seek 5% reduction in pursuit CdA (currently ~ 0.26m^2)
Well done Alex. And your coaching palmares is expanding too :)

In the midst of my transition from MTB to Road, I've set a goal and given myself plenty of time - 4 years and 3 months, in fact - to accomplish it:

To do my first 'century' before I turn 45.

Halfway through the year and progress so far has been good.

1. 300 watts FTP - done. More than done... I'd hoped that training would go well and I'd be at ~300 this year and 325/330 next. I've got next years more than covered.

2. Get down to around 154lbs - I started the year in the 190's and I'm half way there. Currently 174. The past few years have traditionally tailed off after July and ended in oblivion - ie lack of training and putting back on most of the weight I lost. I worked too hard in the past couple of months to have that happen again. It'll be interesting to see if I lose a bit of power in the process. I don't think I will as rolls of fat normally to contribute to forward propulsion.

3. Alta Alpina Challenge. Coming up next weekend. California Highway Patrol decided to add to my challenge by forcing the event organizers to finish the event earlier thus chopping 2.5 hours off the "cut off" times for the final mountain. Sure there's plenty of time before that to make up time "here and there" but it means that I'll have to average an extra 10 to 15 watts more for the first 12 hours. Doable? Probably... I think... kinda sorta... It's going to be a "I need to go at this pace to finish - so we'll do that and see how far I get" ride. So that's why they call it a "Challenge" :) Not entirely sure that I'm up for 21,000+ft of climbing in a day with over 100 miles above 7,000ft.

I've never done a ride this long in the mountains before and it'll be only my second ride near 200 miles. The last time I rode over 200 was in 1989!

swampy1970 said:
Halfway through the year and progress so far has been good.

1. 300 watts FTP - done. More than done... I'd hoped that training would go well and I'd be at ~300 this year and 325/330 next. I've got next years more than covered.

2. Get down to around 154lbs - I started the year in the 190's and I'm half way there. Currently 174. The past few years have traditionally tailed off after July and ended in oblivion - ie lack of training and putting back on most of the weight I lost. I worked too hard in the past couple of months to have that happen again. It'll be interesting to see if I lose a bit of power in the process. I don't think I will as rolls of fat normally to contribute to forward propulsion.

3. Alta Alpina Challenge. Coming up next weekend. California Highway Patrol decided to add to my challenge by forcing the event organizers to finish the event earlier thus chopping 2.5 hours off the "cut off" times for the final mountain. Sure there's plenty of time before that to make up time "here and there" but it means that I'll have to average an extra 10 to 15 watts more for the first 12 hours. Doable? Probably... I think... kinda sorta... It's going to be a "I need to go at this pace to finish - so we'll do that and see how far I get" ride. So that's why they call it a "Challenge" :) Not entirely sure that I'm up for 21,000+ft of climbing in a day with over 100 miles above 7,000ft.

I've never done a ride this long in the mountains before and it'll be only my second ride near 200 miles. The last time I rode over 200 was in 1989!
1. Done.
2. Going the wrong way... weight has been going back on the past few weeks, despite putting out more Kj's and only taking in ~300Kcals per hour. The rest of the diet has stayed the same. Odd.
3. Done.

swampy1970 said:
1. Done.
2. Going the wrong way... weight has been going back on the past few weeks, despite putting out more Kj's and only taking in ~300Kcals per hour. The rest of the diet has stayed the same. Odd.
3. Done.
Swampy,

Definitely Felt would be better at this but for 2 I am sure what it coming down to is thye following:

1) The make up of the calories.

2) The timing of the calories.

In the end a calorie deficit should be all you need but these other two factors are quite important.

-js

jsirabella said:
Swampy,

Definitely Felt would be better at this but for 2 I am sure what it coming down to is thye following:

1) The make up of the calories.

2) The timing of the calories.

In the end a calorie deficit should be all you need but these other two factors are quite important.

-js
I concur :)

swampy1970 said:
1. Done.
2. Going the wrong way (away from 154lbs)... weight has been going back on the past few weeks, despite putting out more Kj's and only taking in ~300Kcals per hour. The rest of the diet has stayed the same. Odd.
3. Done.

Goal 2 is going to be modified for something that has a bit more of a challenge and meaning...

Attain a sustainable 5.0 watts/kg.

Basically if I can keep my threshold where it's at and get down to that target weight, or pretty close, then I'll be close to that - in the 4.9watts/kg range. I just feel I need something to stop me from concentrating on the one aspect of losing weight to the detrement of not riding hard enough to keep the FTP in the 340 to 350 range. That said, some of the hard 5 minute digs today point towards the possibility that my FTP may be heading upwards again - maybe it's been the 5 day blast of Prednisone that's removing the 'wallpaper paste' from my lungs that the ride in the frozen Sierras left me with a couple of weeks ago. I can tell there's more power to be had - it's going to be a case of just staying on the bike and off the beers.

5w/kg sounds better than 4.9 and change... so that's the target.

Good work mate,

Considering how much time you spent consulting with mp's I am astounded how far you have gotten, just show's consistancy is the key.
5w/kg is a hell of a lot of cottage at your disposal and a tall order, I was racing SOT to that number before he left us in a huff, that was 18mths ago but I am closer now than ever.

I've noticed my power at V02 is skyrocketing with weightloss and it seems you are experiancing the same thing so a higher V02 means we can push our FTP higher right?
Isn't that what Tony Zackery was out to do in his ibuprofen thread and was already well trained, so even if we are well trained and have been for some time that doesn't really mean we have seen our V02 hit it's absolute peak does it?
I mean last year l did 2 6wk Blocks of V02 and only saw about 320w for 5min
then after 4mths solid L4 and 4wks of V02 work my new 5m is 350w.

Is this the highest you have seen your 5min and 30-60min power since using a pm?

Hey Swampy I see you are using prednisone!
That will cause rapid weight gain and may explain your weight issue.
When I was younger l had to use it for asthma and would blow up like a Bull frog, I would gain 4-5 kg but it was only fluid retention and would dissapear a few weeks after I finished treatment.

bubsy said:
Good work mate,

Considering how much time you spent consulting with mp's I am astounded how far you have gotten, just show's consistancy is the key.
5w/kg is a hell of a lot of cottage at your disposal and a tall order, I was racing SOT to that number before he left us in a huff, that was 18mths ago but I am closer now than ever.

I've noticed my power at V02 is skyrocketing with weightloss and it seems you are experiancing the same thing so a higher V02 means we can push our FTP higher right?
Isn't that what Tony Zackery was out to do in his ibuprofen thread and was already well trained, so even if we are well trained and have been for some time that doesn't really mean we have seen our V02 hit it's absolute peak does it?
I mean last year l did 2 6wk Blocks of V02 and only saw about 320w for 5min
then after 4mths solid L4 and 4wks of V02 work my new 5m is 350w.

Is this the highest you have seen your 5min and 30-60min power since using a pm?

The highest 20 minute power I've seen is 358watts but I don't think I got it all out. An extra 10 watts would have been a stretch. I had enough in legs to do a 5 minute at 388 watts about 20 minutes later. I really do need to be a little more relentless when testing... That was backed up a week later with 2 hours at 321 watts.

Maybe riding out to a local 10 and pinning a number on wouldn't be a bad idea.

I know at somepoint these improvements are going to come to a grinding halt... it is a case of when rather than if but until then I'm just going to follow 'the plan' and see what happens. Consistant training seems to rarely happen. I don't think I've got anything more than 4 weeks in a row where I've got all 4 training sessions in a week done.

When I stopped racing back in 96 I was 145lb and had a measured threshold of 340watts - but that was measured in the lab not on the road so I'm not sure how accurate that was for the real world. That would have put me over 5w/kg. That I've 'been there' before means that I have a good chance of getting back there again. It's more about me watching what I eat and getting enough rest/sleep - the latter I've been pretty bad about.

I was only on the prednisone for 5 days - but I've noticed in the past that if I spend any amount of time off the bike that I put weight back on rather quickly. The prednisone worked like a champ.

frost said:
2009:

Training goals:

(Summer) weight: 87kg
5 sec: 1650 watts (19.0w/kg)
1 min: 870 watts (10.0w/kg)
5 min: 460 watts (5.3w/kg)
20 min: 400 watts (4.6w/kg)
FTP: 380 watts (4.4w/kg)

I think if staying healthy and being able to train consistently any of the goals should be within reach. Putting them all together at the same time might be a challenge.

Other goals:

If I can reach good level on FTP (say >360w) before the racing season starts here (late April) also participate to open/masters category races (due to very little amount of riders, we have a two category system: open and elite).

Re-entering a goal from 2008 that wasn't accomplished: ride 40km TT under 60min.

Little update, because I am so happy for todays 5 min test :)

1. Weight - check, hovers in 85-87kg. I try not to let drop more, at least for this season
2. 5 sec - I did 3 sessions of standing starts and lo and behold, peak power shoot 150w up and 5 sec followed nicely to 1600w level. Those standing starts are simply amazing. I will give this a bit more in about month or two to see where I can get.
3. 1 min - no test yet (I simply hate it, even an idea!!)
4. 5 min - 463w today, yippee. It came very easy actually and feels a bit like cheating because I wanted to have at least one realistic goal and this was the one where the bar was a tad low.
5. 20 min/FTP - well, this is the one where I put 90% of training effort and it is still the one giving least. I haven't done hard L4 workouts for a few weeks now but 40 min (which is a typical real L4 wo for me) have been on both sides of 360w

6. Racing - check. Only two official masters series TT's (5th and 3rd in M30-40 category) but that's a start. Even it probably sounds ridiculous for seasoned racers, my goal was to win myself in having guts to participate (haven't done anything competitive in 20 years)