Goals galore

Just started cycling again. I have my first three rides done this year on a Pro 300PT. I guess that my FTP is now 240 watt at 69kg. I hope to improve it with 36 watts in 3 months. To get an FTP of 276 watts at 69kg in the beginning of april (4.0 watt/kg).

In july I want to ride La Marmotte. My main goal and the goal that must keep me motivated. I hope to be a member of the "300 watt club" before 7-7-2007 with a weight of 68kg (4.4watt/kg).

So I want to improve my FTP from 3.5watt/kg to 4.4watt/kg in less than 26 weeks (+25.6%). Sounds a little bit unrealistic but I don't want to destroy my dream already.

1) At the very least, equal last years FTP and VO2 max power while weighing 3
kg less. It looks like I have almost met this goal.
2) increase FTP by 5-10% and VO2 max power by the same amount, while weighing 3 kg less than last year.

-bikeguy

Alex Simmons said:
OK peoples, it's that time of year.

What are everyone's cycling goals for 2007?

Nothing like making them public to keep you honest and accountable.....;)

Mine are to better my previous performances in the points races at State & National Masters Track Championships (March), ride PB pursuit times at same events and make the points race final at World Masters Track Championships (October).

I have others but they are my main goals.

Merry Christmas and a safe & fun 2007 to all.:D
Well I'm on track so far....

This weekend I placed 4th on 26 points in the State MMAS3 points race which included gaining a lap on the field in a race that was 2km/h faster (last year I placed 4th with 11 points and that was fast I thought!) and set a PB time in the Individual Pursuit. 2 secs better than previous best and 6 secs better in-competition.

NomadVW said:
Personal fitness:
1. No more than 1 day per week on rollers. Endure the cold, sleet, snow.
2. Increase FTP to 350 (up from current 317) by April.
3. Decrease weight to 77kg ( currently 79 ) by April
4. Ride more than this year. Moving to 6 days a week instead of 4-5.
Haven't raced yet, so I removed those goals from this list.

FTP 345
Weight 77.3kg this morning.
I've had one 5 day week since January. Every other week is 6 days.
4 days since January 1st on the trainer due to weather.

Need to start racing! 13 days and counting.

PartisanRanger said:
Score Top-10s in collegiate races, maybe upgrade to B level.
Well, I got 15th (of 62) in my first collegiate road race ever, so I'm well on my way to objective 1. I'm pleased with how great I felt at the end of the race, and only wish I was in a better position to take advantage. The second objective will come at my discretion, but I suspect I'll continue racing at this level for a while to see how I stack up.

PaulMD said:
Just started cycling again. I have my first three rides done this year on a Pro 300PT. I guess that my FTP is now 240 watt at 69kg. I hope to improve it with 36 watts in 3 months. To get an FTP of 276 watts at 69kg in the beginning of april (4.0 watt/kg).

In july I want to ride La Marmotte. My main goal and the goal that must keep me motivated. I hope to be a member of the "300 watt club" before 7-7-2007 with a weight of 68kg (4.4watt/kg).

So I want to improve my FTP from 3.5watt/kg to 4.4watt/kg in less than 26 weeks (+25.6%). Sounds a little bit unrealistic but I don't want to destroy my dream already.
I already have my goal for begin april. I had it after 3 weeks of training :D:D
At the moment I have a FTP of 297 watts and a P to W ratio of 4.3 watts/kg.

My new goals are:

Before La Marmotte (7 July): 330 watts @ 68 kg => 4.9 watt / kg. :)
This summer: FTP > 5.0 watt / kg :)

Alex Simmons said:

This weekend I placed 4th on 26 points in the State MMAS3 points race which included gaining a lap on the field in a race that was 2km/h faster (last year I placed 4th with 11 points and that was fast I thought!) and set a PB time in the Individual Pursuit. 2 secs better than previous best and 6 secs better in-competition.
Congrats Alex :)

Two weeks ago I reached my 1st 2007 goal of FTP 380W (4.5 w/kg) by April or about five weeks ahead of schedule.

FTP is up 40W from last winter and (thankfully) so is 2-hr and 3-hr indoor power. I don't think I've developed a 'duration cliff' this winter with too much short-end work so that makes me optimistic for outdoor long ride/race performance.

I''m not planning on stopping the indoor L4 work as we look to be under snow here for another 4 weeks! I've been gaining 10W every 5-6 weeks so that's time for another complete L4 'long block' before heading outdoors. No real reason to add a lot of supra-threshold work until current gains dry up.

Alex, this might be a good sticky thread if you ask the admin bloke.

1. Raise FTP to 270W (currently at 259)
2. Race lots and upgrade to Cat. 2
3. Ride Snowbird HC in under 50 min.

I just calculated that my FTP increased some 30% in a little over 2 years. I first measured it after a summer of riding, following a 10 year hiatus from cycling. My weight dropped about 7 kg since then. If all goes as planned I should be racing at 5 W/kg (FTP) this year. :cool:

mikesbytes said:
OK, I just ate 6 lamingtons for dessert, but its still 06 so that PB doesn't count.

Win club C grade race.
Sit in the pack in Vets open grade race, such as ride for life.
Match Sideshow_Bob up a hill in RNP.

I'm a cross trainer so I've got other goals such as 200kg deadlift, but thats for a different forum.
mmm only ridden in 2 C grade races in 07, flatted in the first one...
Suppose I'm going to have to enter some Vets open grade race....
Hey theres a mistake, its not Sideshow_Bob its Sideshowbob - objective met. Nah Sideshow_Bob getting faster, Brian Crawford better watch out.
200kg nope, still stuck on 160kg - weak hands keep dropping the bar.

I WANT MORE POWA!

-I want to finish in the top 5 at all my XC races this year and get bumped up to Expert (kind of like being moved into mid-pack Cat 3)
-I want to get my 1 hour power from 275W last year to 300W+ this year, and my MAP from 375W above 400W.
- I want to lose the 5lbs I gained over fall and holidays haha.
- I want to start road racing. (Road racing?! Yes, there. I said it. I want to become a roadie.) :D

PartisanRanger said:
Score Top-10s in collegiate races, maybe upgrade to B level.
I got 9th in the University of Maryland crit, my 2nd crit ever. Could have done better but got stuck behind a crash. Hoping for even better results this weekend.

PartisanRanger said:
I got 9th in the University of Maryland crit, my 2nd crit ever. Could have done better but got stuck behind a crash. Hoping for even better results this weekend.
:) Cool!

surgery on Mar 29th - 8 week recovery :eek:
1. get back on the bike - May 24th - :D spinning sooner if permitted by Dr.
2. be in touring shape by July holidays :cool:
3. complete BC Lung Trek in September 07 :p
4 keep wgt @ or below 185 lbs :rolleyes:

islandboy said:
surgery on Mar 29th - 8 week recovery :eek:
1. get back on the bike - May 24th - :D spinning sooner if permitted by Dr.
2. be in touring shape by July holidays :cool:
3. complete BC Lung Trek in September 07 :p
4 keep wgt @ or below 185 lbs :rolleyes:
I had a similar layoff after breaking a bone (cuboid) in my foot while track sprint training a couple of years back (caused by a pedal malfunction). It was a gradual return to pedalling - spinning after 8 weeks but no full pressure until 12 weeks.

Your goal is definitely achievable. Here's an example of someone else (Tanya) that had a similar experience of coming back after surgery:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2006/11/planning-comeback-with-performance.html

and an update on progress here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2007/02/second-coming-back.html

BTW - Tanya took two Gold and a Silver at the recent State Championships and is competing at the National Masters next week.

My Goals... hmmm

Back on the podium in some national events.

Power Goals; I dont know what i can achieve but these are a stab in the dark:
FP >5w/kg
5s >22w/kg

Weight down to 73/74 by end of May(10%bf) (currently 79 down from 82 last month...sweeet)

10m TT this weekend and MAP next week to get some baslines.
Will keep you all posted...although i cant tell you my secret training...If I did i'd have to kill you.

I've got some good coaching for once in my life(you know who you are!) so im hoping things will work out :D

Finally decide on a bike and get to training and learn all I can and get in some decent rides. Get down to 80-81kg @ < 8%BF

~A

Alex Simmons said:

At the Nats and it's late so a quick update...

Rode another PB in the pursuit but not by much (0.2x sec) faster. Was going for a 3:45.

But a stack more power (35+ W). Figures on the blog.

Putting it all in perspective, I rode my 3,000m IP today 19 seconds faster than two years ago at the same competition and velodrome (Melbourne DISC).

Training and racing with power and coaching - what can I say? It works! I have more time to shave yet.....

Alex Simmons said:
At the Nats and it's late so a quick update...

Rode another PB in the pursuit but not by much (0.2x sec) faster. Was going for a 3:45.

But a stack more power (35+ W). Figures on the blog.

Putting it all in perspective, I rode my 3,000m IP today 19 seconds faster than two years ago at the same competition and velodrome (Melbourne DISC).

Training and racing with power and coaching - what can I say? It works! I have more time to shave yet.....

sounds great Alex. that's a massive improvement over 3k!

rmur17 said:
sounds great Alex. that's a massive improvement over 3k!
Thanks!

It got better today when I made podium at the National Masters Points Race.:D :D

A bronze in a pretty savage race. Tried to post some details to blog but blogger not working properly.:confused: Will try again later.

Alex Simmons said:
Thanks!

It got better today when I made podium at the National Masters Points Race.:D :D

A bronze in a pretty savage race. Tried to post some details to blog but blogger not working properly.:confused: Will try again later.
great stuff. I'll definitely be interested in seeing how your taper showed up on PMC. And of course reading the race report!