Goatheads for Jobst

http://tinyurl.com/y5csm4

> Probably I had an alert for "tire saver" instead of "tire savers".

> Alas, these seem to be a very different kind for classic bikes.

I suspect the owner of these was not aware of the correct name, which
I suspect was Henri Pélissier, after whom much bicycle equipment was
named when I started bicycling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Pélissier

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote in news:divhm2tpj56j4qlcvhl9c7da1pf7dbssr4@
4ax.com:

> That's my 25th flat for 2006, a year that started out much better. I'm
> averaging a little more than one flat every 200 miles, 14 since
> October 1st.

Have you ever tried tire savers? I know they are out of vogue (and Sheldon
thinks they are "of dubious value in practice") but I would think they
would be ideal for your goathead problem.

Cheers,
David

On 26 Nov 2006 05:29:54 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Carl Fogel writes:
>
>> Hmmm... something wrong with my alert, since I found these for sale
>> when I searched.

> http://tinyurl.com/y5csm4
>
>> Probably I had an alert for "tire saver" instead of "tire savers".

>> Alas, these seem to be a very different kind for classic bikes.

>I suspect the owner of these was not aware of the correct name, which
>I suspect was Henri Pélissier, after whom much bicycle equipment was
>named when I started bicycling:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Pélissier
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

I suspect that the owner just isn't too worried about the foreign
spelling on a $10 opening bid auction.

But there's no suspicion about the correct spelling--click on the
picture to enlarge it, and you can see "CH.PELISSIER" on both tire
savers.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 23:38:01 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in news:divhm2tpj56j4qlcvhl9c7da1pf7dbssr4@
>4ax.com:
>
>> That's my 25th flat for 2006, a year that started out much better. I'm
>> averaging a little more than one flat every 200 miles, 14 since
>> October 1st.

>Have you ever tried tire savers? I know they are out of vogue (and Sheldon
>thinks they are "of dubious value in practice") but I would think they
>would be ideal for your goathead problem.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Dear David,

I'm open-minded about tire-savers, having had a few posters suggest
them, but so far eBay hasn't come up with any to fit my brakes.

See nearby posts in this thread about the odd tire savers up for
auction, which look like solid cast metal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-C-Pleis...ryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Either the owner is careless about spelling, or else he transposed the
letters E-L in Pelissier.

To return to goatheads, the vast majority of these nasty thorns tend
to penetrate a tire on the initial impact--a very light tap with a
hammer will put one right through Mr. Tuffy plastic strip:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/64658808b9ae2c35

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=184a goathead th...
or http://tinyurl.com/yb9ffd

Still, I'm tempted to try tire savers.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote in news:1n7im2db2e6hveumgdraognv88r3cq173j@
4ax.com:

> I hesitate to try to make a tire saver myself, simple though it seems,
> partly because of my front brake not looking like the right kind and
> partly because the only thing worse than my machinist's skills is my
> carpentry.

I would think that it would be simple for anyone capable of bending a few
spokes, and I'm sure you can find someone like that. <grin>

If the issue with the front brake is that it has a recessed center bolt,
then you might try placing the tire saver in front of the fork, between
the fork and the brake body. If you use a spoke for the mounting bracket,
you might have to file the spoke flat on both sides in order to keep the
brake solid. Then, depending on the space available, you can face the
tire saver back under the fork and above the tire, or if there's not
enough clearance, face it forward under the brake body.

Cheers,
David

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:56:42 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>Then, depending on the space available, you can face the
>tire saver back under the fork and above the tire, or if there's not
>enough clearance, face it forward under the brake body.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Dear David,

Absolutely not facing back.

Facing forward, a wire tire saver will just bounce harmlessly in front
of the brake.

But if it faces backward, it's likely to earn you a Darwin award when
the wire is carried forward by the tire and jams between the brake,
fork, and tire.

The only fellow I know who had such a failure died two years
afterward, paralyzed from the neck down.

The horizontal fender stay on his front fender broke free of the
fender, caught on his front tire, was carried forward, and locked
everything solid in about an eighth of a wheelspin. That's why you'll
read about breakaway fender mounts on RBT.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> Absolutely not facing back.
>
> Facing forward, a wire tire saver will just bounce harmlessly in front
> of the brake.
>
> But if it faces backward, it's likely to earn you a Darwin award when
> the wire is carried forward by the tire and jams between the brake,
> fork, and tire.

I'm aware that there have been a few terrible accidents from fenders
swallowed by front wheels and forks. But I really doubt the tire saver
would ever do anything similar. It's tiny, it's flimsy, and the
plastic tubing on that E-bay model would function like the breakaway
attachement on some modern fenders.

It's true that those classic tire savers may not fit your brakes. But
despite your dark past as an English major, I think you'd be able to
fabricate something similar. It doesn't have to be sophisticated,
especially for a trial.

The most sophisticated feature of the E-bay units is the plastic tube,
but it was intended only to reduce the noise of the thing scraping on
the tire. And I'll remind you that Grant Peterson of Rivendell has
advocated a leather shoelace as a tire saver. IIRC, he showed photos
of the lace tied between the forks or seatstays, and loosely draped
across the tire.

Again, I think you've got nothing to lose by trying. And just think of
the potential time savings from reduced internet posts!

.... not that we don't enjoy them, of course!

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote in news:r7qvm21kgta0lllpu4j8jl4mt6410cbpli@
4ax.com:

> Absolutely not facing back.
>
> Facing forward, a wire tire saver will just bounce harmlessly in front
> of the brake.
>
> But if it faces backward, it's likely to earn you a Darwin award when
> the wire is carried forward by the tire and jams between the brake,
> fork, and tire.

What Frank said.

We are talking about a short (maybe 6in) length of spoke here - one
connected with a couple of 2in long pieces of plastic tubing. If somehow
the spoke tried to make its escape it would either fly away or at most
manage to get caught somewhere that would do some damage to the brake and
wheel, but I can't imagine it could lock up the wheel the way a fender
could.

I would not use the ones from eBay as they don't appear to have the
"breakaway" feature that the bent spoke and plastic tube style offers.

Cheers,
David

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:30:52 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in news:r7qvm21kgta0lllpu4j8jl4mt6410cbpli@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Absolutely not facing back.
>>
>> Facing forward, a wire tire saver will just bounce harmlessly in front
>> of the brake.
>>
>> But if it faces backward, it's likely to earn you a Darwin award when
>> the wire is carried forward by the tire and jams between the brake,
>> fork, and tire.
>>

>What Frank said.
>
>We are talking about a short (maybe 6in) length of spoke here - one
>connected with a couple of 2in long pieces of plastic tubing. If somehow
>the spoke tried to make its escape it would either fly away or at most
>manage to get caught somewhere that would do some damage to the brake and
>wheel, but I can't imagine it could lock up the wheel the way a fender
>could.
>
>I would not use the ones from eBay as they don't appear to have the
>"breakaway" feature that the bent spoke and plastic tube style offers.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Dear David,

No imagination needed.

You, your twin brother, and a friend can probably hang from a single
2mm stainless steel spoke without breaking it.

It takes about 600 pounds of tension to yield a 2mm stainless steel
spoke. See Jobst's yield tests in the back of any edition of "The
Bicycle Wheel." Or search the archives for crash damage--bicycle
spokes will usually rip out of rims instead of breaking.

Please don't test the results of jamming tangled metal debris into the
narrow area where the brake arms and fork curve around a high-friction
front tire. Hang the tire savers facing forward.

Carl Fogel

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:30:52 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] wrote in news:r7qvm21kgta0lllpu4j8jl4mt6410cbpli@
> >4ax.com:
> >
> >> Absolutely not facing back.
> >>
> >> Facing forward, a wire tire saver will just bounce harmlessly in front
> >> of the brake.
> >>
> >> But if it faces backward, it's likely to earn you a Darwin award when
> >> the wire is carried forward by the tire and jams between the brake,
> >> fork, and tire.
> >>

> >What Frank said.
> >
> >We are talking about a short (maybe 6in) length of spoke here - one
> >connected with a couple of 2in long pieces of plastic tubing. If somehow
> >the spoke tried to make its escape it would either fly away or at most
> >manage to get caught somewhere that would do some damage to the brake and
> >wheel, but I can't imagine it could lock up the wheel the way a fender
> >could.
> >
> >I would not use the ones from eBay as they don't appear to have the
> >"breakaway" feature that the bent spoke and plastic tube style offers.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >David

> Dear David,
>
> No imagination needed.
>
> You, your twin brother, and a friend can probably hang from a single
> 2mm stainless steel spoke without breaking it.
>
> It takes about 600 pounds of tension to yield a 2mm stainless steel
> spoke. See Jobst's yield tests in the back of any edition of "The
> Bicycle Wheel." Or search the archives for crash damage--bicycle
> spokes will usually rip out of rims instead of breaking.
>
> Please don't test the results of jamming tangled metal debris into the
> narrow area where the brake arms and fork curve around a high-friction
> front tire. Hang the tire savers facing forward.

One design is not a single piece of wire. Rather two
pieces coupled by short lengths of flexible tubing with
internal diameter smaller than the spoke diameter so
that cut spoke ends are jammed into and are held
through friction by the flexible tubing. Large forces
applied to this fabrication separates the components.

--
Michael Press

[email protected] wrote:

> It takes about 600 pounds of tension to yield a 2mm stainless steel
> spoke. ...

> You, your twin brother, and a friend can probably hang from a single
> 2mm stainless steel spoke without breaking it.

But only if the spoke were gripped at both the ceiling end and the twin
brother end with an attachment capable of 600 pounds! That's not
going to happen with the plastic tubes slipped over those wires.

Furthermore, the strength of a spoke in tension is tremendously higher
than its strength in bending. And bending is all that's necessary for
the spoke to safely pass through the fork-to-tire clearance.

I think you're being extremely over-cautious.

> Please don't test the results of jamming tangled metal debris into the
> narrow area where the brake arms and fork curve around a high-friction
> front tire. Hang the tire savers facing forward.

Well, if that's what you prefer, that's fine. But you really ought to
try them. It sounds like you're in a unique position to test them and
tell us the results!

- Frank Krygowski

On 2 Dec 2006 10:39:36 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>> It takes about 600 pounds of tension to yield a 2mm stainless steel
>> spoke. ...

>> You, your twin brother, and a friend can probably hang from a single
>> 2mm stainless steel spoke without breaking it.

>But only if the spoke were gripped at both the ceiling end and the twin
>brother end with an attachment capable of 600 pounds! That's not
>going to happen with the plastic tubes slipped over those wires.
>
>Furthermore, the strength of a spoke in tension is tremendously higher
>than its strength in bending. And bending is all that's necessary for
>the spoke to safely pass through the fork-to-tire clearance.
>
>I think you're being extremely over-cautious.
>
>> Please don't test the results of jamming tangled metal debris into the
>> narrow area where the brake arms and fork curve around a high-friction
>> front tire. Hang the tire savers facing forward.

>Well, if that's what you prefer, that's fine. But you really ought to
>try them. It sounds like you're in a unique position to test them and
>tell us the results!
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Possibly there's a misunderstanding, perhaps people aren't thinking
things through, and maybe some people have never seen jammed tires
after crashes that killed or injured riders.

The scheme proposed (in good faith) was to mount a spoke bent into a U
with enough curves to attach to the brake bolt that goes through the
bottom of the steering tube.

Facing forward, the U-shaped spoke presents no real danger--the tire
motion pushes the bent wire away from everything. It's as safe as
brushing the tire in _front_ of the brakes with the palm of your
glove. There's nothing to jam your hand against the tire, and anything
that catches on the tire will be spat forward to safety.

But facing backward, the U-shaped spoke is as dangerous as brushing
the tire _behind_ the fork. Everything tends to jam between the tire,
the wire, and the spoke, and everything jammed will be dragged forward
with enormous force into the fork, to jam even harder.

Here's a view from the back of my upside-down fork that shows what
will happen within a month where I ride. Just replace the thin
screwdriver blade with a chunk of friendly tumbleweed:

http://i14.tinypic.com/2ep1342.jpg

It's snowing, so I used the easy-to-obtain-and-photograph screwdriver
blade against a 2 mm spoke instead of an actual tumbleweed stalk. The
debris doesn't have to be as hard as metal or even a tree-twig--a
fairly fragile tumbleweed stalk will do. The debris only has to push
the U-shaped spoke against the tire, and everything will jam solid.

Anything that pushes the 2 mm spoke loop against the tire will cause
the tremendous friction of the tire to grab it and try to jam it
through the fork, away from the viewer.

Remember, the spoke is supposed to be bolted to the other side of the
fork, out of sight. (It wouldn't be much better if it were somehow
attached to the recessed bolt on the back of the fork.)

Cutting the bent spoke into two pieces and joining the u-section to a
pair of legs bolted to the fork with high-friction plastic tubing that
only makes them fatter will only to add to the wreckage.

Anyone who doubts the friction involved should try to fiddle a crudely
bent spoke through the fork as shown. I couldn't bend or pull it
through with pliers, not at the angle needed to attach to the bolt.
The easiest way to set up the camera shot was to push the spoke
against the tire with one hand and turn the wheel with the other
hand--and even that was hard to do.

I don't want to be on a bike where a tire spinning at 20 mph tries to
jam such a contraption through the fork.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote in news:t5t3n2pbkr7pl7d7u9nntsj0868t9sasta@
4ax.com:

> The scheme proposed (in good faith) was to mount a spoke bent into a U
> with enough curves to attach to the brake bolt that goes through the
> bottom of the steering tube.

Not exactly. The spoke that runs around the brake bolt does not go to the
tire - it is an open U too short to reach the tire. Instead the ends of
the U are inserted into a couple of lengths of plastic tubing. Then a
second U, bent to the shape of the tire, is inserted into the other end
of the tubes. This gives a breakaway if anything gets caught.

A picture is worth a thousand words and I found one online:
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1087995571705_tire_savers.jpg
It's not exactly the same design since the part that goes around the
brake bolt is stamped instead of a spoke, but the idea is exactly the
same. I don't know if this place actually has them in stock, but if so,
you might want to order a pair from them if you don't feel like making
them yourself.

Cheers,
David

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:37:37 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in news:t5t3n2pbkr7pl7d7u9nntsj0868t9sasta@
>4ax.com:
>
>> The scheme proposed (in good faith) was to mount a spoke bent into a U
>> with enough curves to attach to the brake bolt that goes through the
>> bottom of the steering tube.
>>

>Not exactly. The spoke that runs around the brake bolt does not go to the
>tire - it is an open U too short to reach the tire. Instead the ends of
>the U are inserted into a couple of lengths of plastic tubing. Then a
>second U, bent to the shape of the tire, is inserted into the other end
>of the tubes. This gives a breakaway if anything gets caught.
>
>A picture is worth a thousand words and I found one online:
>http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1087995571705_tire_savers.jpg
>It's not exactly the same design since the part that goes around the
>brake bolt is stamped instead of a spoke, but the idea is exactly the
>same. I don't know if this place actually has them in stock, but if so,
>you might want to order a pair from them if you don't feel like making
>them yourself.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Dear David,

Yes, those are the wire and tube tiresavers:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1087995571705_tire_savers.jpg

They're a little fancier on the bolt attachment, but pretty much like
the ones that I mentioned to you in October in another thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/6be120eec1237f8f

Here's the picture:

http://tinyurl.com/yavwd9

(I've since changed my mind about my airy suggestion that you could
easily fashion them with a pair of pliers for a dollar. Spoke bending
is trickier than you'd think.)

There's no problem with them facing forward.

But I still don't want my front tire trying to force a tangled mess of
spoke wire and tubing through the fork from behind.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in news:t5t3n2pbkr7pl7d7u9nntsj0868t9sasta@
>4ax.com:
>
>> The scheme proposed (in good faith) was to mount a spoke bent into a U
>> with enough curves to attach to the brake bolt that goes through the
>> bottom of the steering tube.
>>

>Not exactly. The spoke that runs around the brake bolt does not go to the
>tire - it is an open U too short to reach the tire. Instead the ends of
>the U are inserted into a couple of lengths of plastic tubing. Then a
>second U, bent to the shape of the tire, is inserted into the other end
>of the tubes. This gives a breakaway if anything gets caught.
>
>A picture is worth a thousand words and I found one online:
>http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1087995571705_tire_savers.jpg
>It's not exactly the same design since the part that goes around the
>brake bolt is stamped instead of a spoke, but the idea is exactly the
>same. I don't know if this place actually has them in stock, but if so,
>you might want to order a pair from them if you don't feel like making
>them yourself.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Dear David,

I searched again and found that they're for sale on eBay--something
must still be wrong with my automatic notice for such things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-SAVERS-Vin...-NO-FLATS_W0QQitemZ240000105852QQcmdZViewItem

Unfortunately, they're $36, including shipping.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> I searched again and found that they're for sale on eBay--something
> must still be wrong with my automatic notice for such things.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-SAVERS-Vin...-NO-FLATS_W0QQitemZ240000105852QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Unfortunately, they're $36, including shipping.

Carl:

You finally drove me to dig through my crate of "ancient parts."

I found a pair. They look NOS, identical to the above E-bay items.
They must be 30 years old.

You can have them IF you promise to install the blasted things and let
us know if they help!

Contact me off-list with your address.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2006 10:39:36 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >I think you're being extremely over-cautious.
> >

> Here's a view from the back of my upside-down fork that shows what
> will happen within a month where I ride. Just replace the thin
> screwdriver blade with a chunk of friendly tumbleweed:
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/2ep1342.jpg

I admit, I was envisioning something other than a modern
micro-clearance frame. The bikes I ride could almost let the handle of
the screwdrive pass, let alone the blade. But I wonder - if your
tumbleweed stalk gets that far, will the bit of wire make much
difference?

Still, I think you should test some tire savers, facing one way or the
other.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I searched again and found that they're for sale on eBay--something
> must still be wrong with my automatic notice for such things.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-SAVERS-Vintage-Road-Bike-Essential-NO-FLATS_W0
> QQitemZ240000105852QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Unfortunately, they're $36, including shipping.

I have a feeling that the original price on the package was $2 and the
current seller added the "8"! The price is just crazy.

I agree that the bend for the brake bolt would be tricky, but the part
that rides on the tire can be made using a section of pipe as a mandrel.
I suppose a rod could be used for the same thing for the top piece. Given
the insane price on eBay, it's certainly worth a try.

> Yes, those are the wire and tube tiresavers:
>
> http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1087995571705

_tire_savers.jpg

> They're a little fancier on the bolt attachment, but pretty much like
> the ones that I mentioned to you in October in another thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/6be120eec1237f8f
>
> Here's the picture:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yavwd9
>
> (I've since changed my mind about my airy suggestion that you could
> easily fashion them with a pair of pliers for a dollar. Spoke bending
> is trickier than you'd think.)

I have both styles. If you get (or make) the ones with the spoke as the
upper part, I would suggest filing the section that is sandwiched in the
brake bolt to make it flat on both sides. Also, I pull the spoke ends out
of the plastic tubing such that the gap between the ends of the spokes is
about half an inch. That makes the tire saver more flexible so that
there's less tension against the tire. Adjustment takes a little time as
you want the saver to barely touch the surface of the tire. If there's
too much force on the tire it tends to make a lot of noise and the spoke
(and of course the tire) will wear down quite quickly.

> There's no problem with them facing forward.
>
> But I still don't want my front tire trying to force a tangled mess of
> spoke wire and tubing through the fork from behind.

While I'm still (fairly) confident that a wheel lockup is highly
unlikely, I agree that if at all possible, facing forward is
advantageous.

Of course, I'm very curious to hear if you give them a try and find out
if they do any good for your goathead problem. A lot depends on if the
goatheads penetrate down to the tube on the first roll over, or if they
require a few rotations of the tire to cause the flat.

Cheers,
David

On 3 Dec 2006 17:58:42 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> I searched again and found that they're for sale on eBay--something
>> must still be wrong with my automatic notice for such things.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-SAVERS-Vin...-NO-FLATS_W0QQitemZ240000105852QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> Unfortunately, they're $36, including shipping.

>Carl:
>
>You finally drove me to dig through my crate of "ancient parts."
>
>I found a pair. They look NOS, identical to the above E-bay items.
>They must be 30 years old.
>
>You can have them IF you promise to install the blasted things and let
>us know if they help!
>
>Contact me off-list with your address.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Actually . . .

[Carl tears off the whiskers to reveal his ruthless scheme for
cornering the global NOS tiresaver market]

. . . I was poised to outbid "nulogic" seconds before this auction
ends for some NOS tiresavers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Road-bi...oryZ42317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

But your noble offer has made me see the error of my cruel last-minute
bidding. Let Nulogic have his heart's desire.

Pop 'em in the mail with your return address, and I'll send you a
check for the $8 that I was going to bid for the eBay tiresavers.

Carl Fogel
309 Grace
Pueblo, CO 81004

I can't guarantee that I can attach them to my modern front brake, but
I'll have fun trying. Here's a comment on how brakes have changed
enough to cause tire-saver installation trouble, from a page that used
tire savers in an identify-this-odd-part contest:

"They actually work pretty well, if they don't get tangled in
something and bent up, which is pretty common. And, they only work
with brake bolts that don't have recessed nuts, although I mount them
via a fender bolt on my chainstay bridge."

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/307/47/

Other comments reflect the yes-they-work, no-they-don't opinions seen
on RBT. For fun, page back and forth through the other odd parts in
the whatzit contest.

Right now, a guaranteed natural tire-saver is in effect at Fogel Labs:

http://i16.tinypic.com/33ynn85.jpg

That's my asphalt bike path winding through the cottonwoods. No
bicycles in the last 48 hours. I think that much deeper tire-saving
measures are in place in your neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 3 Dec 2006 17:58:42 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> I searched again and found that they're for sale on eBay--something
>> must still be wrong with my automatic notice for such things.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-SAVERS-Vin...-NO-FLATS_W0QQitemZ240000105852QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> Unfortunately, they're $36, including shipping.

>Carl:
>
>You finally drove me to dig through my crate of "ancient parts."
>
>I found a pair. They look NOS, identical to the above E-bay items.
>They must be 30 years old.
>
>You can have them IF you promise to install the blasted things and let
>us know if they help!
>
>Contact me off-list with your address.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

The tire savers arrived a few minutes ago.

My scheme is to fiddle around until I figure out some way to mount
modified versions by January 1st and the 2007 season.

The first thing to do will be to use the U-shaped tire end as a
template for bending a smaller U-curve. The things are apparently
designed for a 34 mm radius tire, so my 700x26 just rattles around,
with only a little strip of wire touching the center of the tire. If
they're going to work, they need to sweep barely-embedded goatheads
out where the tread meets the sidewall. Any goathead that strikes dead
center is through the tread and tube instantly.

The next thing to do will probably be to use the back section as a
template for bending a new piece to mount on the rear. There's plenty
of room, but the things are bent for a tire about twice as far from
the rear brake bolt as my frame allows. So either a wire with a
different bend, or a 1 & 1/2 inch metal plate sticking up from my rear
brake, with a mounting bolt.

Then I'll have to figure out something for the front brake. So far,
nothing looks plausible. The tiresaver is wider than my brake arm
clearance, so I can't mount them on the brake bolt and let them hang
discreetly inside the brake area. There's no hole on the front of my
brake, much less a bolt, so they can't hang out there. I'm pretty sure
that Jobst would advise against drilling a hole in the middle of a
brake arm, so I'll have to look and see if any old brakes I have in
junk boxes have enough clearance or an accessible front bolt.

So a tire saver looks possible on the rear, but the front may take
some ingenious fiddling. This may be another reason why tiresavers
have vanished--they aren't going to be easy to mount on modern bikes.
It's a little like the long-lost Charles Addams cartoons with New
Yorkers returning with dead deer tied to the front fenders of 1930's
cars--huge, bulging, convenient fenders are no longer standard.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel