Goat's milk

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Enrico C, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Enrico C

    Enrico C Guest

    A study on 'The Journal of dairy research' mentions the "advantageous
    effect of goat milk on the metabolisim of lipids".
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=11694047&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum

    Do the short chain fatty acids in goat's milk make it healthier than
    cow's milk?

    "A major difference between the milkfat of the goat and the cow is the
    percentage distribution among specific short chain fatty acids. Goats
    have an appreciably higher proportion of capric, caprylic and caproic
    acids. The high amounts of these specific fatty acids are responsible
    for the characteristic flavor and odor associated with goat's milk."
    http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/goat1.htm

    Tags:

  2. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

    :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=11694047&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum
    :
    : Do the short chain fatty acids in goat's milk make it healthier than
    : cow's milk?
    :
    : "A major difference between the milkfat of the goat and the cow is the
    : percentage distribution among specific short chain fatty acids. Goats
    : have an appreciably higher proportion of capric, caprylic and caproic
    : acids. The high amounts of these specific fatty acids are responsible
    : for the characteristic flavor and odor associated with goat's milk."
    : http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/goat1.htm

    Caprylic acid is antifungal and as such it is good in candida overgrowth.
    But coconut milk and coconut oil are even much higher in caprylic acid.

    --
    Juhana

  3. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Goat's milk might be a bit better, but there are other factors
    involved: additives, homogenization, organic vs. non-organic, etc.

    The most important thing is the avoid foods that act as oxidizing
    agents in the body, and the difference between organic, non-homogenized
    cow and goat milk is not going to make much of a difference for most
    people. Avoiding any major source of unsaturated fatty acids will make
    a huge difference for most people (assuming they are eating typical
    Western-type diets).

  4. "using rats with a resection of 50% of the distal small intestine and
    control animals (transected). The fat content in all the diets was 10%
    ....The advantageous effect of goat milk on the metabolisim of lipids
    with respect to cow milk suggests that the former should be included in
    the diet in eases of malabsorption snydrome."

    If I was a rat on an Extremely-Low Fat Diet with half of my small
    intestines removed, I might consider drinking goats milk.

    But, for anybody normal ... How about a normal diet designed for normal
    people to eat who actually want a life, rather than just live in order
    to eat some kooky diet!

    http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/whole-grains.html
    --
    John Gohde,
    Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

    The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
    mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
    Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
    sharper terminology than ever before.
    http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

  5. Max C.

    Max C. Guest

    My family has had great results using raw goat's milk. We've been
    using it for over 3 years now. I get it from a local farm about 15
    minutes away. The goats are mini lamanchas and produce the sweetest
    tasting milk I've ever had, bar none.

    We've been using it to make home made infant formula for our 5 month
    old. Her doctor and everyone at her daycare always comments on how
    healthy, active and alert she is compared to other babies.

    Max.

  6. Max C. wrote:
    > My family has had great results using raw goat's milk. We've been
    > using it for over 3 years now. I get it from a local farm about 15
    > minutes away. The goats are mini lamanchas and produce the sweetest
    > tasting milk I've ever had, bar none.
    >
    > We've been using it to make home made infant formula for our 5 month
    > old. Her doctor and everyone at her daycare always comments on how
    > healthy, active and alert she is compared to other babies.

    If I was a rat on an Extremely-Low Fat Diet with half of my small
    intestines removed, I might consider drinking goats milk.

    And, for people with a life beyond looking for sources of milk.