Gobsmacked.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MrMoosehead, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. MrMoosehead

    MrMoosehead Guest

    Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.

    How quick?

    Tags:

  2. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    MrMoosehead said the following on 17/10/2006 08:02:
    > Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    > including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.
    >
    > How quick?

    About 21 hours ;-)

    I bet you had free delivery as well!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  3. MrMoosehead

    MrMoosehead Guest

    Paul Boyd wrote:
    > MrMoosehead said the following on 17/10/2006 08:02:
    > > Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    > > including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.
    > >
    > > How quick?

    > About 21 hours ;-)
    >
    > I bet you had free delivery as well!

    Hehe. Not quite - went for the 2.50 delivery ( good bargain I thought)
    to make sure I got things by Friday....

  4. Sirius631

    Sirius631 Guest

    MrMoosehead wrote:
    > Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    > including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.
    >
    > How quick?

    Not too long back, I ordered some stuff from Ribble, who I've used for
    many years. They didn't have the Sidi shoes I was after, so I ordered
    these the next day from Wiggle, with some other stuff. The Wiggle order
    arrived the following day. The Ribble order arrived a week and a half
    later. Guess who it first choice for my orders now.

    DavidL

  5. POHB

    POHB Guest

    MrMoosehead wrote:
    > Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    > including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.

    Put an order into chainreaction at about 10am on wednesday for some
    lights.
    They arrived by first class post the following morning.
    Its good this interweb shopping, when it works.
    Going slightly OT the one that impresses me most is a digital photo
    lab. I've uploaded pictures to them about 11 at night and received the
    prints back first post the next day.

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > Its good this interweb shopping, when it works.

    Which reminds me I must phone Kinetics to chase up a tyre that I ordered
    in July...

    Kinetics have always been excellent before, but if this had been my
    first order with them then it would also have been my last.

    Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>

  7. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:

    >POHB wrote:
    >> Its good this interweb shopping, when it works.

    >Which reminds me I must phone Kinetics to chase up a tyre that I ordered
    >in July...

    >Kinetics have always been excellent before, but if this had been my
    >first order with them then it would also have been my last.

    Pete recently had to do some reminding to get the things he ordered. On
    the other hand, it looks like Ben also forgot to charge him :)

    Roos

  8. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > POHB wrote:
    > > Its good this interweb shopping, when it works.

    > Which reminds me I must phone Kinetics to chase up a tyre that I ordered
    > in July...

    I've had two poor experiences with Kinetics in a row, IMO. I'll not
    order there again. Wiggle is excellent, as is geargurl in the US on
    ebay.

  9. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 02:12:55 -0700, "MrMoosehead" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Paul Boyd wrote:
    >> MrMoosehead said the following on 17/10/2006 08:02:
    >> > Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    >> > including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.
    >> >
    >> > How quick?

    >> About 21 hours ;-)
    >>
    >> I bet you had free delivery as well!

    >Hehe. Not quite - went for the 2.50 delivery ( good bargain I thought)
    >to make sure I got things by Friday....

    I have my mountain leader assessment next week (Sunday to Saturday). I
    put in an order to wiggle last night for a couple of wicking t-shirts
    and a pair of Ronhills. I'll be delighted if they arrive tomorrow. I
    too felt the £2.50 delivery charge a worthwhile expense, though I was
    a little annoyed that it's now the default option.

  10. Tom Crispin wrote on 17/10/2006 20:15:
    > On 17 Oct 2006 02:12:55 -0700, "MrMoosehead" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >> Paul Boyd wrote:
    >>> I bet you had free delivery as well!

    >> Hehe. Not quite - went for the 2.50 delivery ( good bargain I thought)
    >> to make sure I got things by Friday....

    > I have my mountain leader assessment next week (Sunday to Saturday). I
    > put in an order to wiggle last night for a couple of wicking t-shirts
    > and a pair of Ronhills. I'll be delighted if they arrive tomorrow. I
    > too felt the £2.50 delivery charge a worthwhile expense, though I was
    > a little annoyed that it's now the default option.

    How did everyone get £2.50 delivery? Their site says (and what I paid
    the other day was) £3.99 for priority delivery...

    Peter

    <><

    --
    http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
    http://www.scandrett.net/bike/

  11. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:28:30 +0100, Peter Scandrett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tom Crispin wrote on 17/10/2006 20:15:
    >> On 17 Oct 2006 02:12:55 -0700, "MrMoosehead" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hehe. Not quite - went for the 2.50 delivery ( good bargain I thought)
    >>> to make sure I got things by Friday....

    >> I have my mountain leader assessment next week (Sunday to Saturday). I
    >> put in an order to wiggle last night for a couple of wicking t-shirts
    >> and a pair of Ronhills. I'll be delighted if they arrive tomorrow. I
    >> too felt the £2.50 delivery charge a worthwhile expense, though I was
    >> a little annoyed that it's now the default option.

    >How did everyone get £2.50 delivery? Their site says (and what I paid
    >the other day was) £3.99 for priority delivery...

    I've just checked. £3.99 is what I've been charged. It's still good
    value for next day delivery.

  12. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    On 17/10/2006 20:34, Tom Crispin said,

    > I've just checked. £3.99 is what I've been charged. It's still good
    > value for next day delivery.

    You also get next day delivery if you select the free option...

    ....except when you actually *need* it next day :)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  13. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > POHB wrote:
    >> Its good this interweb shopping, when it works.

    > Which reminds me I must phone Kinetics to chase up a tyre that I
    > ordered in July...
    >
    > Kinetics have always been excellent before, but if this had been my
    > first order with them then it would also have been my last.

    Just out of interest, and because it's my job, if you've ordered a product
    which has an exceptionally long lead time, how frequently would you want the
    supplier to mail you and say they've not forgotten your order and tell you
    they've not heard anything from the publisher^W supplier.

  14. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Just out of interest, and because it's my job, if you've ordered a product
    > which has an exceptionally long lead time, how frequently would you want
    > the supplier to mail you and say they've not forgotten your order and tell
    > you they've not heard anything from the publisher^W supplier.

    Depends on the expected time. Weekly wouldn't seem unreasonable for
    something with a couple of months lead time.

    cheers,
    clive

  15. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 18/10/2006 00:51:

    > Just out of interest, and because it's my job, if you've ordered a product
    > which has an exceptionally long lead time, how frequently would you want the
    > supplier to mail you and say they've not forgotten your order and tell you
    > they've not heard anything from the publisher^W supplier.

    Because it's my job, I would expect an order acknowledgement to confirm
    receipt of order, then nothing until shortly before the quoted delivery
    date. Then I would like "Yes, the date quoted is still correct." I
    often buy stuff on 8-12 week lead time, and wouldn't want to be
    inundated with regular contact. I get enough crap passing by my desk
    and inbox as it is.

    In practise, I hear nothing until *I* ring the supplier shortly before
    the expected delivery date...

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote on 18/10/2006 00:51 +0100:

    >> Kinetics have always been excellent before, but if this had been my
    >> first order with them then it would also have been my last.

    My one order with them was my last. No acknowledgement of the order, no
    delivery, no reply to e-mails and then several weeks later it turns up
    unannounced through the letterbox. Probably the worst service I've had
    other than Ribble and that is bad. I cannot understand why people
    continue to deal with him. There is someone on the Brompton group that
    has been waiting since July for a minor bit of work to be done and is
    still making excuses for him.

    > Just out of interest, and because it's my job, if you've ordered a product
    > which has an exceptionally long lead time, how frequently would you want the
    > supplier to mail you and say they've not forgotten your order and tell you
    > they've not heard anything from the publisher^W supplier.

    Once on placement of order giving the expected delivery date, with
    option to cancel if the delay was not obvious at the time of ordering.
    Once again shortly before the quoted delivery date to either revise or
    confirm the date, repeated as necessary and once more on shipping.

    The best way to work it out for yourself is to think of situations where
    you were not given information e.g. a delayed flight, and what you would
    have liked to have known and what got you worked up.

    --
    Tony

    - Leonardo da Vinci

  17. rola

    rola Guest

    Pretty much the same with me. Called Ribble to ask them what their delivery
    lead-time was and was assured that it was 48 hours (if ordered before 11am
    etc). Sounded reasonable, so I orderded a new headset. After 3 days time was
    running out, so got one next day from wiggle. The ribble one turned up the
    day after I fitted the wiggle one. At least I have a spare now.

    Wiggle is always my first choice now... if they don't have it I will try and
    get from LBS, then shop around. My personal bottom of the barrell? Ribble,
    Evans and Madisons

    "Sirius631" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > MrMoosehead wrote:
    >> Put an order into wiggle at about 11am yesterday for about 7 items,
    >> including a towbar cycle carrier. It arrived at 8am this morning.
    >>
    >> How quick?

    > Not too long back, I ordered some stuff from Ribble, who I've used for
    > many years. They didn't have the Sidi shoes I was after, so I ordered
    > these the next day from Wiggle, with some other stuff. The Wiggle order
    > arrived the following day. The Ribble order arrived a week and a half
    > later. Guess who it first choice for my orders now.
    >
    > DavidL

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    rola wrote on 18/10/2006 10:03 +0100:

    > Wiggle is always my first choice now... if they don't have it I will try and
    > get from LBS, then shop around. My personal bottom of the barrell? Ribble,
    > Evans and Madisons

    Chain Reaction Cycles are as good (better?) than Wiggle and often cheaper
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

    --
    Tony

    - Leonardo da Vinci

  19. rola

    rola Guest

    Sometimes I find that Chain Reaction don't always carry the items I'm
    looking for - no need to go into specifics (although I can) - but I do
    frequent their service. In fact, looking at my account history with Chain
    Reaction I have bought items cheaper than wiggle even with my loyalty
    discount subtracted.
    And I'm also surpised at how much I spent... yet again!

    > rola wrote on 18/10/2006 10:03 +0100:
    >>
    >> Wiggle is always my first choice now... if they don't have it I will try
    >> and get from LBS, then shop around. My personal bottom of the barrell?
    >> Ribble, Evans and Madisons
    >>

    > Chain Reaction Cycles are as good (better?) than Wiggle and often cheaper
    > http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
    >

    > --
    > Tony
    >
    > "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    > his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    > - Leonardo da Vinci

  20. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Just out of interest, and because it's my job, if you've ordered a product
    > which has an exceptionally long lead time, how frequently would you want the
    > supplier to mail you and say they've not forgotten your order and tell you
    > they've not heard anything from the publisher^W supplier.

    I'd expect an estimated delivery date to be provided immediately, along
    with confirmation of the order. If my supplier later finds that he is
    likely to be unable to meet the estimated delivery date then I'd expect
    to be informed of this immediately, along with a revised delivery date.
    Other than that, I'm quite happy just to be informed when it's been
    despatched.

    I spoke to Ben (or someone at Kinetics, anyway) this afternoon. He
    apologised, said that he has the tyre in stock (I understand from a
    previous e-mail that he didn't when I actually placed the order) and
    that he'd put it in the post today.

    I've had two bad experiences with online bike shops prior to this. The
    worst was with wheel2wheel (my Mum's LBS, and a nice enough shop to pop
    into but they're hopeless at dealing with online orders). The other was
    with Bikefix when I actually bought my bike, and is the reason that I
    always go to Kinetics for Silentrings, 20" tyres and rims.

    Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>