Goggles - Glasses

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris Armstrong, May 20, 2005.

  1. Chris Armstrong

    Chris Armstrong New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005
    I wear glasses. Does anyone know what's the best think to do as regards some decent tinted cycling glasses for the summer. Is the best thing to try and get some prescription glasses from an optician or should I get some inserts for normal lenses?
    And what do other people do about sweat on glasses. i tackled a big hill (for me) this evening and I couldn't see for sweat running down the inside and outside of my lenses by the time I was halfway up.

    Tags:

  2. Tony B

    Tony B Guest

    Chris Armstrong wrote:
    > I wear glasses.

    I use contact lenses for most activities, much better than glasses - not
    quite as sharp as specs, granted; but more than made up for by
    peripheral vision improvement. Then you can wear which ever shades you
    fancy.

    Maybe worth a try?

    hth,

    Tony B

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I wear glasses. Does anyone know what's the best think to do as regards
    > some decent tinted cycling glasses for the summer. Is the best thing to
    > try and get some prescription glasses from an optician or should I get
    > some inserts for normal lenses?

    Sometimes I wear my normal specs. Sometimes I wear contacts & shades - tint
    of shade dependent upon weather conditions.

    > And what do other people do about sweat on glasses. i tackled a big
    > hill (for me) this evening and I couldn't see for sweat running down
    > the inside and outside of my lenses by the time I was halfway up.

    I stop before it gets that bad - I don't like pain & sweating - I am a wimp!

    > --
    > Chris Armstrong

    Any relation to Lance? ;-)

  4. Chris Armstrong

    Chris Armstrong New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005

    Any relation to Lance? ;-)[/QUOTE]
    If you saw me on a bike, you wouldn't be asking that question.

    I have thought about lenses. I used to wear them but gave up about 15 years ago when I was working early shifts and found it a hassle getting them in at 5.30 in the morning. I have a pair of hard lenses from this time that I play football in for an hour a week, but when I used to wear them on my motorbike, the wind would catch between the lens and my eye, and whip them out - I lost at least half a dozen this way, and although the speed is less, I figured I'd get the same problem on the pushbike. Do those of you who wear lenses use soft ones, and does this get around the above problem.
    I have some prescription swimming goggles and find these great, and was just wondering if there was anything similar for the bike.

  5. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Any relation to Lance? ;-)
    > If you saw me on a bike, you wouldn't be asking that question.
    >
    > I have thought about lenses. I used to wear them but gave up about 15
    > years ago when I was working early shifts and found it a hassle getting
    > them in at 5.30 in the morning. I have a pair of hard lenses from this
    > time that I play football in for an hour a week, but when I used to wear
    > them on my motorbike, the wind would catch between the lens and my eye,
    > and whip them out - I lost at least half a dozen this way, and although
    > the speed is less, I figured I'd get the same problem on the pushbike. Do
    > those of you who wear lenses use soft ones, and does this get around the
    > above problem.
    > I have some prescription swimming goggles and find these great, and was
    > just wondering if there was anything similar for the bike.
    >

    > --
    > Chris Armstrong

    I wear gas permeables (modern equivalent of hard lenses) and only once lost
    a lens in this way (on a roller coaster!) , probably similar speed to a
    motorbike. Never had the problem on a pushbike. So either your guess is
    wrong about what would happen on a bike or I dont pedal fast enough.

    --

    Tw

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  6. paul

    paul Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Any relation to Lance? ;-)
    > If you saw me on a bike, you wouldn't be asking that question.
    >
    > I have thought about lenses. I used to wear them but gave up about 15
    > years ago when I was working early shifts and found it a hassle getting
    > them in at 5.30 in the morning. I have a pair of hard lenses from this
    > time that I play football in for an hour a week, but when I used to wear
    > them on my motorbike, the wind would catch between the lens and my eye,
    > and whip them out - I lost at least half a dozen this way, and although
    > the speed is less, I figured I'd get the same problem on the pushbike. Do
    > those of you who wear lenses use soft ones, and does this get around the
    > above problem.
    > I have some prescription swimming goggles and find these great, and was
    > just wondering if there was anything similar for the bike.
    >

    > --
    > Chris Armstrong

    hi
    i got a pair of addidas evil eye wrap arounds come with 2 types of inserts
    grey and yellow with prescription inserts from www.sportsvisionplus.co.uk
    cost 190 notes great for sunny days took a week to arrive for low light and
    dark conditions i just use my normal glasses.

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Any relation to Lance? ;-)
    > If you saw me on a bike, you wouldn't be asking that question.

    :)

    > I have thought about lenses. I used to wear them but gave up about 15
    > years ago when I was working early shifts and found it a hassle getting
    > them in at 5.30 in the morning. I have a pair of hard lenses from this
    > time that I play football in for an hour a week, but when I used to wear
    > them on my motorbike, the wind would catch between the lens and my eye,
    > and whip them out - I lost at least half a dozen this way, and although
    > the speed is less, I figured I'd get the same problem on the pushbike.

    I've worn contacts for years and I've never lost a lens the way you
    describe. Mind you, I *always* wear some sort of shades when on the bike -
    most useful at keeping grit, flies... etc., out of the eyes successfully.

    Cheers, helen s

  8. krys

    krys Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Any relation to Lance? ;-)
    > If you saw me on a bike, you wouldn't be asking that question.
    >
    > I have thought about lenses. I used to wear them but gave up about 15
    > years ago when I was working early shifts and found it a hassle getting
    > them in at 5.30 in the morning. I have a pair of hard lenses from this
    > time that I play football in for an hour a week, but when I used to wear
    > them on my motorbike, the wind would catch between the lens and my eye,
    > and whip them out - I lost at least half a dozen this way, and although
    > the speed is less, I figured I'd get the same problem on the pushbike. Do
    > those of you who wear lenses use soft ones, and does this get around the
    > above problem.
    > I have some prescription swimming goggles and find these great, and was
    > just wondering if there was anything similar for the bike.
    >

    > --
    > Chris Armstrong

    I have gas permeable lenses - which are hard - and don't have this problem.
    However I do find I have to wear sunglasses of some sort to keep the wind
    and bits out of them. Nothing like the high speed arrival of a bit in your
    eye to stop play..... And even without bits, they tend to feeling very dry
    with all that wind rushing by. So, shades it is......but at least they're
    not prescription, and thus expensive.

    krys

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I wear glasses. Does anyone know what's the best think to do as regards
    > some decent tinted cycling glasses for the summer. Is the best thing to
    > try and get some prescription glasses from an optician or should I get
    > some inserts for normal lenses?
    > And what do other people do about sweat on glasses. i tackled a big
    > hill (for me) this evening and I couldn't see for sweat running down
    > the inside and outside of my lenses by the time I was halfway up.

    I use Rudy Project Kerosenes with clip-in prescription inserts. AFAIK the
    Kerosenes have been replaced in the RP line-up with similar types, one type
    has a hinge up affair for the tinted lenses.

    Upsides are that you can use different tints with the same prescription for
    different conditions and you could have new prescriptions without replacing
    the whole lot.

    Downsides are extra weight and more layers of lens to get cacked up.

    Re. sweat. I don't know how to prevent it but to cure a sympton I carry
    Optique disposable wipes.

    Pete

  10. Peter B wrote:
    > "Chris Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I wear glasses. Does anyone know what's the best think to do as regards
    >>some decent tinted cycling glasses for the summer. Is the best thing to
    >>try and get some prescription glasses from an optician or should I get
    >>some inserts for normal lenses?
    >>And what do other people do about sweat on glasses. i tackled a big
    >>hill (for me) this evening and I couldn't see for sweat running down
    >>the inside and outside of my lenses by the time I was halfway up.

    > I use Rudy Project Kerosenes with clip-in prescription inserts. AFAIK the
    > Kerosenes have been replaced in the RP line-up with similar types, one type
    > has a hinge up affair for the tinted lenses.
    >
    > Upsides are that you can use different tints with the same prescription for
    > different conditions and you could have new prescriptions without replacing
    > the whole lot.
    >
    > Downsides are extra weight and more layers of lens to get cacked up.
    >
    > Re. sweat. I don't know how to prevent it but to cure a sympton I carry
    > Optique disposable wipes.
    >
    > Pete

    I use the Rudy Project Exception glasses for cycling and driving here in
    Australia. The only downside to them is their relatively high price.
    They have clip-in prescription inserts and a clip-on hinged holder for
    coloured lenses.

    There have been no problems with perspiration with them, I think because
    of the design; although they wrap around, there is still clearance from
    the eyebrow area, where most of my sweating problems occur with glasses
    or goggles.

    The basic frame and lenses weigh 26 grams, exactly the same as my normal
    multi-focal specs. The hinged clip on holder and coloured lenses weigh
    14 grams. So far the extra weight and more layers of lenses have not
    caused a nuisance, but no doubt they could in some circumstances.

    Alan.