Going Clipless

Iarocu

Guest
Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am needing
a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new shoes
(Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff
sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone
back to clips after not getting on with spuds? Does anyone
use different systems on different bikes or does this lead
to more falling over sideways when stopping? Iain C

On 17/4/04 7:47 pm, in article
[email protected], "iarocu"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless?
If you have the budget then yes. I presume that all you need
are new pedals already having appropriate shoes.
> Has anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on
> with spuds?
Started on Look pedals. Went to SPD to get shoes I could
walk in. Wouldn't go back to clips'n'straps unless I
really had to.
> Does anyone use different systems on different bikes or
> does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping?

Used to but converted them all to the same (SPD) because my
SPD shoes are so comfortable. I find that having the pedals
set to the tightest tension is my preference.

..d

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has
> anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on with
> spuds? Does anyone use different systems on different
> bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping?

I can't recall in which order I carried it out but I moved
to clipless on either my mtb or road bike whilst retaining
toe-clips on t'other (long time ago) and don't recall a
problem due to it. But with decent Shimano spd pedals
being so cheap now I can't see a reason for not changing
all bikes at once, unless of course you have a vast
collection :) IIRC I paid about 90 quid for my first pair
of XT spds about a decade ago, which was a lot of wonga.
More recently I bought a pair of M540's for a third of
that and they're superior.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:47:32 -0700, iarocu wrote:

> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has
> anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on with
> spuds? Does anyone use different systems on different
> bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping?

Rather than recommend the Shimano SPD style pedals, I would
go for Time ATAC pedals.The bolt fitment on the shoes is
the same, and I think the pedals are a lot easier to get
into than the SPD type pedal.They also have more 'float'
(sideways and twist of the foot), but still feel very
secure.They are also very mud resistant, and very easy to
clean. The pedals and cleats can be bought for around £35
if you shop around, so they arent a great deal more
expensive than SPD pedals. I've had 1 pair on my cyclo-
cross bike for the last 3 years, and they are still going
well. see http://www.wiggle.com and the link to pedals to
see what they look like, but Wiggle are not the cheapest
for these. Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North
Midlands.

iarocu wrote:
> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless?

Not a bad time anyway.

> Has anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on
> with spuds?

Not gone back to exactly, but I sometimes use clips when I
want to wear ordinary shoes. The majority of people who try
clipless stick with them.

> Does anyone use different systems on different bikes or
> does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping?

It's not a problem because clipless pedals train you to
twist foot before releasing. Twisting from toe clips doesn't
cause any harm.

~PB

>Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
>needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
>shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
>reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has
>anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on with
>spuds? Does anyone use different systems on different bikes
>or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
>stopping? Iain C

I went clipless unitentionally - a guy gave me a pair of
Look shoes for free
:)

No, I would not willingly go back to "normal" pedals with or
without toeclips.

Before I went clipless I used to get *constant* pains in my
knees. Now I don't. Clipess is a more efficent pedal -
allowing you to put less strain on the knee joint when
pushing on the pedal as you don't have to push as hard -
you can also pull on the upstroke easier, thus saving on
those knees.

Yes, it took a little while to get used to remembering to
unclip before the bike stopped ;-) Now I've got it off to a
tee, even in busy traffic, I will not go back to using
toeclips. I find getting in and out of clipless much easier
than getting in and out of toeclips done up tightly.

I've only ever used the Look system of clipless and I have
no regrets.

Cheers, helen s

p.s. and if a fatbird in her forties can get used to and
enjoy the benefits of clipless, perhaps anyone can :)

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

[email protected] (iarocu) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has
> anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on with
> spuds? Does anyone use different systems on different
> bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping? Iain C

I got my first clipless pedals last November, SPD's, after
a year of toeclips. Never going back. The two things I like
the most are it's so much quicker getting your feet in and
out, no faffing about with tightening and loosening buckles
and getting the pedal the right way up, once you've got the
hang of clipping in and out anyway. Secondly I get much
more power to the pedals than before, especially on hills,
and accelerating away from stops (very useful if I've
stopped in too high a gear). Add to that, I was using big
comfy trainers before which must have absorbed lots of the
push. Do it!

iarocu wrote:
> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano
> MO37)are SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff sole.
> Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone
> back to clips after not getting on with spuds? Does
> anyone use different systems on different bikes or
> does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping?
>
> Iain C

I moved over last June and have not looked back. I just wish
I'd changed sooner. I've not fallen over (yet) but there
have been a few close shaves.
--
Mark

Remove nothing to reply.

Iain Jones wrote: I was using big comfy trainers
> before which must have absorbed lots of the push. Do it!

I've a pair of SPD compatable Cannondale shoes which are as
good as "big comfy trainers". I wear them most of the time
even when I'm not on the bike.
--
Mark

Remove nothing to reply.

I use spd's and other than my saddle it is the main thing I could not live without.

iarocu wrote:
> Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am
> needing a new pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new
> shoes (Shimano MO37)are SPD compatable and have a
> reasonably stiff sole. Is now the time to go clipless? Has
> anyone ever gone back to clips after not getting on with
> spuds? Does anyone use different systems on different
> bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
> stopping? Iain C

Not gone back to clips+straps but never really got on with
SPDs, found them to much harder to click into than Look
pedals but that could be related to the fact I have been
using Look for years. Sold the bike now anyway so no longer
a problem. All my bikes use Look, my three pairs of shoes
work with all three bikes.

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> Before I went clipless I used to get *constant* pains in
> my knees. Now I
don't.
> Clipess is a more efficent pedal - allowing you to put
> less strain on the
knee
> joint when pushing on the pedal as you don't have to push
> as hard - you
can
> also pull on the upstroke easier, thus saving on
> those knees.

<snip> My experience was exactly the opposite, going
clipless caused major problems with my right knee and I had
to switch back to toeclips. I would recommend them though if
you have no problems as they are better.

I suspect my knee problems go back to when I used to run and
I wince when I see all those unfit types running the
marathon, what permanent damage are they doing?

Woody

On 18/4/04 8:23 am, in article [email protected],
"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not gone back to clips+straps but never really got on with
> SPDs, found them to much harder to click into than Look
> pedals but that could be related to the fact I have been
> using Look for years. Sold the bike now anyway so no
> longer a problem. All my bikes use Look, my three pairs of
> shoes work with all three bikes.

I prefer look to SPD but haven't found a pair of shoes that
I can walk around in comfortably that take look cleats.

..d

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:05:30 +0100, David Martin
<BCA8900A.125D6%[email protected]>:

>I prefer look to SPD but haven't found a pair of shoes that
>I can walk around in comfortably that take look cleats.

And even if you did, putting Look cleats on would make them
impossible to walk comfortably in ;-)

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

David Martin wrote:

> I prefer look to SPD but haven't found a pair of
> shoes that I can walk around in comfortably that take
> look cleats.

Me neither but I only use my cycling shoes for cycling. I
often do sixty mile rides and never dismount until I get
back into my garden.

A.Lee wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:47:32 -0700, iarocu wrote:

>> Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone
>> back to clips after not getting on with spuds?=20

Yes, no, respectively.

>>Does anyone use different systems on different bikes or
>>does this lead to more falling over sideways when
>>stopping?

I don't, though the main reason is it'd be a total PITA to
have=20 different shoes for different bikes. There would be
exceptions if I had =

a Seriously Fast thing for road racing as well as the
Sensible bikes and =

MTB, but all my bikes imply being able to walk easily when I
get off=20 them. I do have 2 pairs of cycling footwear, a
pair of shoes for when=20 it's cold and a pair of sandals
for when it isn't, but both use the same =

type of cleats.

> Rather than recommend the Shimano SPD style pedals, I
> would go for Time=

> ATAC pedals.The bolt fitment on the shoes is the same, and
> I think the pedals are a lot easier to get into than the
> SPD type pedal.They also h=
ave
> more 'float' (sideways and twist of the foot), but still
> feel very secure.They are also very mud resistant, and
> very easy to clean. The pedals and cleats can be bought
> for around =A335 if you shop around=
, so
> they arent a great deal more expensive than SPD pedals.

I use (and prefer) ATACs as well, and my tandeming friends
converted=20 from SPuDs having decided thee ATACs worked
better. Alan's list of=20 advantages doesn't mention no
buggering about with different tensions,=20 as it's a non-
issue on ATACs and the fact that they're far less affected =

by worn cleats pulling out IME. You can get SPuD-u-likes for
less than =A320 so there is a saving to be=20 had from the
ATACs, but I'd sooner spend the extra money.

One oft-suggested wheeze are pedals with a platform on one
side and a=20 cleat lock on the other. Time now do the Z
Control (I think that's what =

it's called) which has a wide platform for free riding but
still has=20 cleat locks both sides. If you look at the ATAC
attachment you'll see=20 it's clean enough that that won't
get in the way, so not only won't you=20 need cycling shoes
to pop down 1km to the shops but you won't always=20 find
you've got the wrong side of the pedal to clip into...

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382
660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44
1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
[email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > I prefer look to SPD but haven't found a pair of shoes
> > that I can walk around in comfortably that take look
> > cleats.
>
> Me neither but I only use my cycling shoes for cycling. I
> often do sixty mile rides and never dismount until I get
> back into my garden.

I wold prefer cleats which were comfortable to walk in so
I'll try a set of SPDs. Thanks for all replies Iain C

iarocu wrote:

> I wold prefer cleats which were comfortable to walk in so
> I'll try a set of SPDs. Thanks for all replies

Note that ATAC cleats will fit into SPuD shoes and have a
similar overall form, so are no more difficult to walk in.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I use (and prefer) ATACs as well, and my tandeming friends
> converted from SPuDs having decided thee ATACs worked
> better. Alan's list of advantages doesn't mention no
> buggering about with different tensions, as it's a non-
> issue on ATACs and the fact that they're far less affected
> by worn cleats pulling out IME.

With you on the Time ATACs Peter.

Following advice from my LBS I recently changed from spuds
to ATACs. I had been having problems clipping back in to the
single sided spuds on my old bike, but now find that the
ATACs are much easier to get into.

Watch out for the first few times when the required clip-in
pressure is extremely high. It soon settles down though and
becomes second nature in no time.

Terry D.

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message news:<cpggc.33733$Y%[email protected]>...

> Rather than recommend the Shimano SPD style pedals, I
> would go for Time ATAC pedals.The bolt fitment on the
> shoes is the same, and I think the pedals are a lot
> easier to get into than the SPD type pedal.They also have
> more 'float' (sideways and twist of the foot), but still
> feel very secure.They are also very mud resistant, and
> very easy to clean. The pedals and cleats can be bought
> for around £35 if you shop around, so they arent a great
> deal more expensive than SPD pedals. I've had 1 pair on
> my cyclo-cross bike for the last 3 years, and they are
> still going well.

Agreed, though I have to admit that ATACs are the only off-
road clipless pedal I've used, so I may not be the best
person to comment. As Alan says, they do cope well in muddy
conditions, which is a key selling point, especially for
'cross riders. The cleats are also very durable - I've yet
to replace a set.

David E. Belcher