Going clipless.....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Iggy Peuterbaug, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.

    Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
    that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.

    I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way to
    go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?

    TIAM

    Tags:

  2. John G

    John G Guest

    Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:
    > Any other brands you recommend?

    Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!

  3. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:24:48 -0700, Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:

    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
    > that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
    >
    > TIAM

    Time ATACs, they have a good degree of float too. The carbon's are nicer than the aliums as they
    have an extra bearing and feel smoother pedaling. I used to use those before I decided I wanted a
    big mongo platform and went to 646s. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale too :)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=3604932846&rd=1

    -Bruce

  4. Kx Dave

    Kx Dave Guest

    > Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!

    ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards. worth the
    compromise for free-float IMO.

  5. Kx Dave

    Kx Dave Guest

    "kx dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!
    >
    > ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards. worth the
    > compromise for free-float IMO.

    uhh...make that "outwards" .. you can't clip out by turning your heel inwards

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Time ATACs, they have a good degree of float too. The carbon's are nicer than the aliums as they
    > have an extra bearing and feel smoother pedaling. I used to use those before I decided I wanted a
    > big mongo platform and went to 646s. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale too :)
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=3604932846&rd=1
    >
    > -Bruce

    No pictures....shame on you!
    --
    Slacker

  7. kx dave wrote:
    >>Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!
    >

    > ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards.

    Right I've been trapped under my bike twice because of this, after "plowing the rhubarb".

    >worth the compromise for free-float IMO.

    Even WITH the stops, you have 15° of inward float.. If that isn't enough you will natuarally
    (gradually) wear away the inboard stop (as I have done on all my right pedals) or you could
    carefully apply the abrasive wheel of a Dremmel and remove it in a more expedient manner, as I have
    done w/ my left pedals ;-)

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
    lately
    > have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
    > being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
    >
    > TIAM

    Everyone else is talking about float...since you didn't mention float, here are the other reasons
    'beaters rule:

    1. Crazy easy to get in to. I'm not gonna detail it - google for that - but they clip in easier
    than any other pedal, AFAIC.
    2. Mud doesn't affect the clip-in-ability - beaters shed mud better than anything. They even do
    well when yuo've (read: I've) been hikabiking up a muddy hill and the cleat is encased in mud.
    3. They're lighter than any other pedal on Earth.
    4. They are as tough, or tougher, than anything else.
    5. They rebuild real easy.

    The only downsides: they can be difficult for beginners to clip out of since spring tension isn't
    adjustable - but you get used to that - and the bushings on the '02 models weren't great - but
    that's been fixed. Even if they needed replacing, the rebuild kit's only $10-15. Also, they offer
    reasonable float.

    Chris

  9. "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
    lately
    > have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
    > being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?

    Ok pedals, but how about Ritcheys V3 Comp, they are under half the price of the beaters, 300dkr (40
    US$!!) here in DK. Nice pedals :)

    Or maybe Wellgo MG-18 thats a nice and cheap pedal...

    Still, I prefer the V3

    Peter

  10. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:
    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
    > that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
    >
    > TIAM

    egg beaters. they hold when you wnat 'em to and release easily with a twist. you have a selection of
    2 floats by how you put the cleats on. the only problem for beginners is that you can't yank out of
    them in a panic like you can with some others (shimano, for example) -- but the yank'able ones
    always release on me when I don't want them to (rock gardens when you're getting yanked this way and
    that by the rocks), so the egg beaters were a nice change :).

    David

  11. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
    lately
    > have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
    > being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
    >
    > TIAM

  12. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:23:19 -0700, Slacker wrote:

    >> Time ATACs, they have a good degree of float too. The carbon's are nicer than the aliums as they
    >> have an extra bearing and feel smoother pedaling. I used to use those before I decided I wanted a
    >> big mongo platform and went to 646s. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale too :)
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=3604932846&rd=1
    >>
    >> -Bruce
    >

    > No pictures....shame on you!

    Hey, I said they were scuffed up, use your imagination :)

    -Bruce

  13. John G

    John G Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...

    Cleats (almost always) come with the pedals, but shoes don't......

  14. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Zilla wrote:
    > > Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...
    >
    > Cleats (almost always) come with the pedals, but shoes don't......

    Good point!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  15. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:24:48 -0700, "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.

    Please spare me the details

    >Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
    >that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.

    Go clipless, live it, love it, do it!

    >I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the
    >way to go.

    Should be call Crank Pullers! 'cause that's what they're doin'.
    Cheesey-ass-lame-useless-pieces-of-crap pedals!

    Although I could be wrong 'cause I never used them, but I don't let small details like that from
    stop me for commenting....whadidyaexpect!?

    Peace, Bill(Now listening to the Offspring)

    No go ride and shut the fvck up about clipless peds! The mind serves properly as a window glass
    rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
    interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  16. Thanks for the input, everyone. It's been very helpful. Sounds like there are a lot of personal
    preferences out there.

    Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are a little more than I want to
    spend. I'll likely be going with the beaters or Shimano. Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them
    all uncomfortable. Had a bad dream about endo-ing while still clipped in....still haven't ruled out
    a nice pair of platforms...hehe.

    Once again, thanks for the input.

    "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
    >
    > Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
    lately
    > have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
    > being clipped in.
    >
    > I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
    > to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
    >
    > TIAM

  17. John Dinh

    John Dinh Guest

    >Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.

    Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
    similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
    get pedals with compatible cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

    > Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are a little more than I want
    > to spend.

    If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
    copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies or Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's
    at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com. If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike
    trade. There are always people getting rid of their old pedals, because they want the newer
    expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip out. After you use
    them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.

    > Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.

    Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The uncomfortable
    ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes are horrible
    because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on sale at REI
    because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for walking
    though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

    If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
    side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
    and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if you
    want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to jump
    off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals for that.

    As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
    my fiancee never had problems from the getgo. We had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until
    they went right into the pedal where we naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot
    easier because when I go over obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the
    rain, my feet can slip off of flat pedals, but not clipless pedals.

    good luck. I hope this helps you.

    - JD

    P.S. Where do you ride? And... do you have a GPS?

  18. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    I guess I am a Shimano luddite.

    The beaters are fine if you only do "serious" riding (i.e. no going to the corner store), but they
    do not have enough material to really stand on in a pinch. This may or may not bother you. That
    first time you go through a particular rock garden, you may not want to be clipped in though.

    I have half and half pedals (Shimano 323s) on the beater bike (SPD one side/ flat on the other)
    which makes it convient if I am just doing a short hop and do not want to change shoes, but it can
    still take the same shoe as the trail bike. Call it a sacrifice for convience.

    The wieght difference between beaters and Carbon ATACs or my 515s is tempting though; 1/4 lb just by
    changing the pedals. Hmmm....

    May your "clipless moments" be few and far between, Dave

  19. "John Dinh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:dnopa.2645$%[email protected]...
    > >Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.
    >
    > Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
    > similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
    > get pedals with
    compatible
    > cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

    I've gathered infomation from a lot of sources, including people on the trial. I ride XC mostly, and
    some street with this bike.

    > > Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are
    > > little more than I want to spend.
    >
    > If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
    > copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies
    or
    > Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com.
    > If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike trade. There are always people getting rid of
    > their old pedals, because
    they
    > want the newer expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip
    > out. After you use them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.
    >
    > > Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.
    >
    > Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The
    > uncomfortable ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes
    > are horrible because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on
    > sale at REI because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for
    > walking though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

    I haven't tried any Shimano shoes yet. I'll give them a shot.

    > If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
    > side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
    > and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if
    you
    > want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to
    > jump off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals
    for
    > that.
    >
    > As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
    > my fiancee never had problems from the getgo.
    We
    > had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until they went right into the pedal where we
    > naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot easier because when I go over
    > obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the rain, my feet can slip
    > off of flat pedals, but
    not
    > clipless pedals.
    >
    > good luck. I hope this helps you.
    >
    > - JD
    >
    > P.S. Where do you ride? And... do you have a GPS?

    I live and ride in Florida. Have been hitting Santos the last few weekends. Very cool set of trails.
    I do not have a GPS.

  20. "John Dinh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:dnopa.2645$%[email protected]...
    > >Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.
    >
    > Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
    > similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
    > get pedals with
    compatible
    > cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

    I've gathered infomation from a lot of sources, including people on the trial. I ride XC mostly, and
    some street with this bike.

    > > Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are
    > > little more than I want to spend.
    >
    > If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
    > copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies
    or
    > Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com.
    > If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike trade. There are always people getting rid of
    > their old pedals, because
    they
    > want the newer expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip
    > out. After you use them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.
    >
    > > Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.
    >
    > Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The
    > uncomfortable ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes
    > are horrible because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on
    > sale at REI because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for
    > walking though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

    I haven't tried any Shimano shoes yet. I'll give them a shot.

    > If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
    > side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
    > and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if
    you
    > want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to
    > jump off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals
    for
    > that.
    >
    > As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
    > my fiancee never had problems from the getgo.
    We
    > had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until they went right into the pedal where we
    > naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot easier because when I go over
    > obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the rain, my feet can slip
    > off of flat pedals, but
    not