Going clipless.....



Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iggy Peuterbaug

Guest
I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.

Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.

I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way to
go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?

TIAM
 
J

John G

Guest
Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:
> Any other brands you recommend?

Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!
 
B

Bruce Edge

Guest
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:24:48 -0700, Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
> that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
>
> TIAM

Time ATACs, they have a good degree of float too. The carbon's are nicer than the aliums as they
have an extra bearing and feel smoother pedaling. I used to use those before I decided I wanted a
big mongo platform and went to 646s. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale too :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=3604932846&rd=1

-Bruce
 
K

Kx Dave

Guest
> Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!

ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards. worth the
compromise for free-float IMO.
 
K

Kx Dave

Guest
"kx dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!
>
> ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards. worth the
> compromise for free-float IMO.
>

uhh...make that "outwards" .. you can't clip out by turning your heel inwards
 
C

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
kx dave wrote:
>>Speedplay Frogs..... Your knees will thank you for it!
>
>
> ditto on the Frogs. one drawback is you can only clip out by turning your heel inwards.

Right I've been trapped under my bike twice because of this, after "plowing the rhubarb".

>worth the compromise for free-float IMO.

Even WITH the stops, you have 15° of inward float.. If that isn't enough you will natuarally
(gradually) wear away the inboard stop (as I have done on all my right pedals) or you could
carefully apply the abrasive wheel of a Dremmel and remove it in a more expedient manner, as I have
done w/ my left pedals ;-)
 
C

Chris

Guest
"Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
lately
> have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
> being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
>
> TIAM
>

Everyone else is talking about float...since you didn't mention float, here are the other reasons
'beaters rule:

1. Crazy easy to get in to. I'm not gonna detail it - google for that - but they clip in easier
than any other pedal, AFAIC.
2. Mud doesn't affect the clip-in-ability - beaters shed mud better than anything. They even do
well when yuo've (read: I've) been hikabiking up a muddy hill and the cleat is encased in mud.
3. They're lighter than any other pedal on Earth.
4. They are as tough, or tougher, than anything else.
5. They rebuild real easy.

The only downsides: they can be difficult for beginners to clip out of since spring tension isn't
adjustable - but you get used to that - and the bushings on the '02 models weren't great - but
that's been fixed. Even if they needed replacing, the rebuild kit's only $10-15. Also, they offer
reasonable float.

Chris
 
P

Peter TøNnesen

Guest
"Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
lately
> have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
> being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?

Ok pedals, but how about Ritcheys V3 Comp, they are under half the price of the beaters, 300dkr (40
US$!!) here in DK. Nice pedals :)

Or maybe Wellgo MG-18 thats a nice and cheap pedal...

Still, I prefer the V3

Peter
 
D

David Kunz

Guest
Iggy Peuterbaugh wrote:
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
> that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
>
> TIAM
>
>
>
egg beaters. they hold when you wnat 'em to and release easily with a twist. you have a selection of
2 floats by how you put the cleats on. the only problem for beginners is that you can't yank out of
them in a panic like you can with some others (shimano, for example) -- but the yank'able ones
always release on me when I don't want them to (rock gardens when you're getting yanked this way and
that by the rocks), so the egg beaters were a nice change :).

David
 
Z

Zilla

Guest
Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
lately
> have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
> being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
>
> TIAM
 
B

Bruce Edge

Guest
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:23:19 -0700, Slacker wrote:

>> Time ATACs, they have a good degree of float too. The carbon's are nicer than the aliums as they
>> have an extra bearing and feel smoother pedaling. I used to use those before I decided I wanted a
>> big mongo platform and went to 646s. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale too :)
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=3604932846&rd=1
>>
>> -Bruce
>
>
> No pictures....shame on you!

Hey, I said they were scuffed up, use your imagination :)

-Bruce
 
J

John G

Guest
Zilla wrote:
> Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...

Cleats (almost always) come with the pedals, but shoes don't......
 
Z

Zilla

Guest
"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Zilla wrote:
> > Pedals are only the start. You'll need cleats and shoes too so keep this in mind...
>
> Cleats (almost always) come with the pedals, but shoes don't......
>

Good point!

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
 
B

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:24:48 -0700, "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.

Please spare me the details

>
>Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe
>that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to being clipped in.

Go clipless, live it, love it, do it!

>
>I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the
>way to go.

Should be call Crank Pullers! 'cause that's what they're doin'.
Cheesey-ass-lame-useless-pieces-of-**** pedals!

Although I could be wrong 'cause I never used them, but I don't let small details like that from
stop me for commenting....whadidyaexpect!?

Peace, Bill(Now listening to the Offspring)

No go ride and shut the fvck up about clipless peds! The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
interpretation of the world.
:-]
 
I

Iggy Peuterbaug

Guest
Thanks for the input, everyone. It's been very helpful. Sounds like there are a lot of personal
preferences out there.

Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are a little more than I want to
spend. I'll likely be going with the beaters or Shimano. Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them
all uncomfortable. Had a bad dream about endo-ing while still clipped in....still haven't ruled out
a nice pair of platforms...hehe.

Once again, thanks for the input.

"Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this group a butt-load of times, but here it goes again.
>
> Thinking seriously about going clipless. A couple of bad experiences
lately
> have led me to believe that it might be for the best. Even if I do eat it once in a while due to
> being clipped in.
>
> I would like recommendations on pedals. I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way
> to go. Anyone else have these pedals? Any other brands you recommend?
>
> TIAM
 
J

John Dinh

Guest
>Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.

Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
get pedals with compatible cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

> Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are a little more than I want
> to spend.

If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies or Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's
at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com. If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike
trade. There are always people getting rid of their old pedals, because they want the newer
expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip out. After you use
them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.

> Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.

Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The uncomfortable
ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes are horrible
because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on sale at REI
because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for walking
though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if you
want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to jump
off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals for that.

As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
my fiancee never had problems from the getgo. We had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until
they went right into the pedal where we naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot
easier because when I go over obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the
rain, my feet can slip off of flat pedals, but not clipless pedals.

good luck. I hope this helps you.

- JD

P.S. Where do you ride? And... do you have a GPS?
 
D

Dave Stocker

Guest
I guess I am a Shimano luddite.

The beaters are fine if you only do "serious" riding (i.e. no going to the corner store), but they
do not have enough material to really stand on in a pinch. This may or may not bother you. That
first time you go through a particular rock garden, you may not want to be clipped in though.

I have half and half pedals (Shimano 323s) on the beater bike (SPD one side/ flat on the other)
which makes it convient if I am just doing a short hop and do not want to change shoes, but it can
still take the same shoe as the trail bike. Call it a sacrifice for convience.

The wieght difference between beaters and Carbon ATACs or my 515s is tempting though; 1/4 lb just by
changing the pedals. Hmmm....

May your "clipless moments" be few and far between, Dave
 
I

Iggy Peuterbaug

Guest
"John Dinh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:dnopa.2645$%[email protected]...
> >Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.
>
> Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
> similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
> get pedals with
compatible
> cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

I've gathered infomation from a lot of sources, including people on the trial. I ride XC mostly, and
some street with this bike.

>
> > Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are
a
> > little more than I want to spend.
>
> If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
> copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies
or
> Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com.
> If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike trade. There are always people getting rid of
> their old pedals, because
they
> want the newer expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip
> out. After you use them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.
>
> > Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.
>
> Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The
> uncomfortable ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes
> are horrible because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on
> sale at REI because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for
> walking though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

I haven't tried any Shimano shoes yet. I'll give them a shot.

>
> If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
> side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
> and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if
you
> want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to
> jump off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals
for
> that.
>
> As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
> my fiancee never had problems from the getgo.
We
> had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until they went right into the pedal where we
> naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot easier because when I go over
> obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the rain, my feet can slip
> off of flat pedals, but
not
> clipless pedals.
>
> good luck. I hope this helps you.
>
> - JD
>
> P.S. Where do you ride? And... do you have a GPS?

I live and ride in Florida. Have been hitting Santos the last few weekends. Very cool set of trails.
I do not have a GPS.
 
I

Iggy Peuterbaug

Guest
"John Dinh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:dnopa.2645$%[email protected]ewssrv26.news.prodigy.com...
> >Sounds like there are a lot of personal preferences out there.
>
> Do you ride with anyone that has clipless pedals? You might want to ask someone who actually does
> similar riding on a similar bike with you. Also, if you ever switch bikes with someone you need to
> get pedals with
compatible
> cleats (e.g. TIME atac don't fit shimanos).

I've gathered infomation from a lot of sources, including people on the trial. I ride XC mostly, and
some street with this bike.

>
> > Still haven't decided exactly what to do. The frogs sound good, but are
a
> > little more than I want to spend.
>
> If you want cheap stuff, get a Wellgo instead of a Shimano. They take the same cleats (basically
> copycats), and they're cheaper than Ritchey copies
or
> Shimano. You can also get last year's Beater's at clearance price ($60 or so) at www.supergo.com.
> If you're really looking for a deal, go to a bike trade. There are always people getting rid of
> their old pedals, because
they
> want the newer expensive pedals. Also, older pedals are slightly worn, and it's easier to clip
> out. After you use them for awhile, if you want to upgrade, you'll have money saved for it.
>
> > Tried on a few pair of shoes and find them all uncomfortable.
>
> Shimano makes a cheap shoe that's very comfortable. It kinda looks like a sneaker. The
> uncomfortable ones are more efficient because they're stiff. The ones that look like hiking shoes
> are horrible because they get REALLY hot (especially Cannondales). A Bunch of them have been on
> sale at REI because they keep getting returned. Don't expect that the comfortable ones are ok for
> walking though, the cleats scratch on the ground.

I haven't tried any Shimano shoes yet. I'll give them a shot.

>
> If you're worried about always clipping in and out, you can get an attachment that sticks to one
> side of the pedal or you can get a half and half pedal (Shimano and Wellgo make them). My fiancee
> and my brother have both of these systems respectively. I think they're annoying, because if
you
> want to clip in, you have to look at them. But I also like to do tricks on my bike (and like to
> jump off the pedals), so I have to switch my pedals
for
> that.
>
> As for being scared that you'll "endo", not everyone has problems with clipless pedals. Myself and
> my fiancee never had problems from the getgo.
We
> had the guy at the shop adjust the cleats until they went right into the pedal where we
> naturally stepped. Actually, it made mountain biking a lot easier because when I go over
> obstacles, I lose my footing, but clips keep me on track. Also, in the rain, my feet can slip
> off of flat pedals, but
not
> clipless pedals.
>
> good luck. I hope this helps you.
>
> - JD
>
> P.S. Where do you ride? And... do you have a GPS?

I live and ride in Florida. Have been hitting Santos the last few weekends. Very cool set of trails.
I do not have a GPS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.