Going Commando

whuppingboy

Feb 22, 2010
I cycle to work most days, i wear full leg bottoms in winter and shorts in spring/summer. When i wear shorts i usually go commando (no kecks, undercrackers, pants, boxers etc). People at work cannot beleive this and looked at me in shock and disgust when i told them.
I have always gone commando when cycling and will carry on doing so.
There is one thing though i do worry about when riding is that if i take a spill and rip my shorts in the middle of nowhere i will have to ride back miles Lady Godiva style with my meat and two veg out for all to see...
What do other people do and think about this?

I never wear underwear under my bibs.It is more comfortable. As far you ripping your shorts and riding ventilated...I would rather not think about it.

I go "commando" under my bib shorts all of the time, too. There should be nothing between you and your chamois, except maybe lubrication for longer rides.

When I did this, three years ago on American "Turkey Day" (Thanksgiving) going over a wet muddy wooden bridge, I didn't care what was hanging out afterward:

1122071026.jpg

whuppingboy said:
People at work cannot beleive this and looked at me in shock and disgust when i told them.

I, too, would look at a co-worker with shock and disgust if he/she felt compelled to inform me of their genital support status. No surprise there. :(

+1 for frenchyge! I don't usually discuss it but I go commando when I'm riding, however, I change when I get to work and I don't go commando in my work clothes.

Yes, I never wear anything either, when I was younger I would sometimes wear compression shorts on a colder day, but now, I see no point. Don't feel bad for not wearing any, we all do it.....or "don't" do it haha.

I think If I'd crashed badly enough to expose my tackle, I'd be more worried about the damage done to me than the risk of exposing myself. Think about it. If you've hit something sharp/abrasive enough to cut your knicks open in that area, then you'll probably need a lot more than just fresh knicks!!!

The worst I've seen (and it's very rare) is a slightly emabarassing post-crash display of a bit of ar$e crack, but then that's nothing more than standard Sydney "tradesman's cleavage".

If you go down you're far more likely to go down on the hip (as in the picture above).

Also knicks and shorts with chamois are designed to be worn without underwear, its more comfortable that way.

PS: Is A-R-S-E now considered a naughty word??? Lord preserve us....

VBL (visible boxer/brief lines) or VPL (visible panty lines) are only for the novices or extremely modest. I admit I was there at one time and the resultant chafing from the seams cured me from continually making that mistake real quick like...

+ another for commando riding! i do wear some compression shorts as well on colder days. definitely NOT as comfortable as going au natural.....also add a few 'puffs' of baby powder down there. keeps the boys happy!

People are shocked when I tell them I don't wear anything under my underwear...

But hey, cultural norms change over time. I'm sure back in the day a woman had to wear a certain number of petticoats in accordance to "proper" attire. Today's standards are similar, it's just that the minimum number of acceptable layers in everyday situations is 2.

With bike shorts being an exception. But hey, I'm sure you're feeling better than Haselbacher:

_39255965_haselbacher.jpg

genedan said:
With bike shorts being an exception. But hey, I'm sure you're feeling better than Haselbacher:

_39255965_haselbacher.jpg

I bet that guy would feel even worse if he was caught with underwear under his shorts. Just imagine the ribbing he would get from the peloton.

Yojimbo_ said:
I bet that guy would feel even worse if he was caught with underwear under his shorts. Just imagine the ribbing he would get from the peloton.
Yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine which would be worse.

frenchyge said:
I, too, would look at a co-worker with shock and disgust if he/she felt compelled to inform me of their genital support status. No surprise there. :(

Yup, that would definitely fall into the "too much information" category. :eek:

Great thread....ha.....I almost always go commando for just about everything but dress pants. Jeans, shorts and certainly riding compression pants...all commando. I don't worry about my junk falling out, if I wreck bad enough to tear my riding gear then so be it, I guess the beans and the frank will get some air time!

Wow..my first post, about going commando! Guess there is only one way to go from here!

Great site!

Jeff