going faster without buying a road bike

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:35:53 -0700, Naveed <[email protected]> wrote:
> trusted any of the shops i have been to. It always seems that they are trying to upsell me
> everytime i go.

Keep in mind that at an LBS, they're expected to get it right the first time, and additionally,
customers get quite unhappy when the mechanic has the bike apart and finds that something else
is required.

As a result, it becomes safer, easier, and results in satisfying more customers, to quote everything
that could be needed in the process of the service; then, if something won't make a difference and
is omitted, the customer is happy to have spent less.

Of course, it could also be a simple case of useless upselling, but commonly is as described above.

I found that I had to do the same thing when I was in the retail computer service profession. I
ended up with many very irate customers when I would quote and work as if I was an enthusiast
working on my own PC; and I found I had much happier customers (and more of them) if I worked as
described above.

That's also why it's a good idea to ask here...you will not be insulated from the cheaper ways of
doing things that could get the LBS owner an irate customer. We just don't care that much. <G>

--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:53:27 -0400, Rick Onanian wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:35:53 -0700, Naveed <[email protected]> wrote:
>> trusted any of the shops i have been to. It always seems that they are trying to upsell me
>> everytime i go.
>
> Keep in mind that at an LBS, they're expected to get it right the first time, and additionally,
> customers get quite unhappy when the mechanic has the bike apart and finds that something else is
> required.
>
> As a result, it becomes safer, easier, and results in satisfying more customers, to quote
> everything that could be needed in the process of the service; then, if something won't make a
> difference and is omitted, the customer is happy to have spent less.
>
> Of course, it could also be a simple case of useless upselling, but commonly is as
> described above.

If it was for actual repairs, or mechanical work i would agree that that was probably what they
were doing, however, it is usually for simple retail items such as bottles, racks, shoes, etc.
There is simply no need for me to have a $150 trunk rack for my car when i would need it about once
or twice a year.

thanks for your input. The various reviews of bike shops that i have seen point to one really
good local shop. The problem is that it only has one worker who always seems swamped and tends
to help the mutlitude of customers he knows personally first. Maybe i just need to be more
assertive there =).

Naveed

Rick Onanian wrote:
> Well, the next one down from the 34 will probably be a 28.

Nope. It's a 24. Do you know of someone besides Shimano making a 7sp freewheel with an 11? As
near as I can tell, they only make 11x34, 13x34, 14x34 and 14x28. All of the x34's have a 24 next
to the 34.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:21:51 -0700, Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Well, the next one down from the 34 will probably be a 28.
>
> Nope. It's a 24. Do you know of someone besides Shimano making

Perfect. In the original post, he said he was quite satisfied with a 24 as the lowest gear.

> a 7sp freewheel with an 11? As near as I can tell, they only make 11x34, 13x34, 14x34 and 14x28.
> All of the x34's have a 24 next to the 34.

I don't know who makes what. Until recently, I've always gone to my LBS and said "I want this..."
and Joe made it happen. Usually, it involved more gearing range.

I believe that my MTB 11-34 cassette is Shimano. That big ol' 34, combined with the small ring,
results in major, major torque (when major, major slowness is ok) with little effort. It's never
necessary to use it; I use the 34 with the middle ring to avoid using the small ring in some
situations.

--
Rick Onanian

MZ wrote:
>> I have a Hybrid ( Gary Fisher Utopia) equipped with XT components. my rear cogs are 11-31 and my
>> front rings are 48-36-26
>>
>> 48/11 gives me slightly higher a gear than a roadbike with 52/12. This gives me plenty enough
>> gears to go fast with. What is holding me back from going faster is not the gears but the
>> straight handlebars keeping me from being very aerodynamic. I can ride at over 50 km/h on
>> somebodys wheel but as soon as it's my turn to pull the wind hits me like a brick wall.
>
> I noticed your post above and was hoping I too could get some advice. I'm riding an old 12-speed
> bike with a 52/40 up front and probably a 11 or 12-25 in back (it's an old SunTour Perfect 6-spd
> cassette and I can't read the numbers if there are any). Last weekend I was on a slight downhill
> topping out at about 25 mph. As I was riding, another rider came up behind me going an easy 28-30
> MPH with no problem. I looked down and noticed that not only was he pedaling an easy, even
> cadence. he had more rings to go in the back! What am I doing wrong that I can't get any catch on
> my pedals over about 25 mph? Any suggestions?

It could also be so simple as what tires you've got. 26" or 28", fat or narrow, slicks or semi
slicks etc. Then to top it all of. If you don't have enough air in your tires, whatever kind you
have, you'll never achieve low enough rolling resistance to go fast down a hill with little effort.

--
Perre

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You probably don't have an 11 for your smallest cog; and you could also change your big ring
> to a 53.
>
> Wheel size also makes a difference. Using 700c wheels? 700 x 25 tires?

Unfortunately, looks like I don't have an 11 or 12 afterall. I'll count the teeth tonight, but I
found a SunTour "Perfect" on EBay with a 14-28 6dpd... which may solve my mystery. Thanks for the
recommendations on Sheldon's page, too - it's a great resource. Now, who will write my wife to tell
her why I need a new, faster bike!?!

MZ wrote:

> Now, who will write my wife to tell her why I need a new, faster bike!?!

Send her over to me and I will convince her ;)
--
Perre

Ride harder.

Serious, and not meaning to be insulting. The motor (your legs) makes the bike go. The more powerful
you make the motor, the faster the vehicle will go. Plain and simple.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:41 -0400, Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:

> Serious, and not meaning to be insulting. The motor (your legs) makes the bike go. The more
> powerful you make the motor, the faster the vehicle will go. Plain and simple.

I realize that, but at times when going downhill, I simply cannot spin my legs fast enough to get
any resistance from the pedals. If i had a higher gear, then i would be able to push even harder.
Currently i think my speed is around 23 MPH (judging by the timing of the lights since i have yet to
receive my computer in the mail) and after that, my legs are simply spinning with no resistance.
even when i spin as fast as i can, there is still no resistance and I end up coasting.