Going from low fitness levels to a 62 mile bike ride in 15 weeks - unrealistic aim?

n6652

Feb 29, 2012
My friends have asked me if I would like to take part in a night ride through London in the summer. It's going to be 62 miles/100km.

It's not going to be a race or anything, i'm sure most people will be going at their own easy pace.

I went out 2 days ago, was out for about 20 minutes, and I am still aching today. I didn't realise how out of shape I was. I use to be very active but have had an ongoing ankle injury, what I did the other day wouldn't have made me worn out at all.

So i'm wondering, from you experience cyclists, whether this aim is far too high for me at the moment or if it's a reasonable thing to think about?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by n6652 .

My friends have asked me if I would like to take part in a night ride through London in the summer. It's going to be 62 miles/100km.................
........ So i'm wondering, from you experience cyclists, whether this aim is far too high for me at the moment or if it's a reasonable thing to think about?
No idea of your age, actual condition, how your ankle injury is doing..... it might be best if you ask your doctor. But certainly DO keep thinking about it. And see your doctor ASAP. I myself would love to do a London night ride... and who in their right mind doesn't want to be in good shape and decent health.

Best of luck.

Provided your not injured I think a 62 mile ride this summer is very doable. Get out and rediscover your joy of riding and being fit. Take it easy and build up gradually. http://www.critfit.net

The Oklahoma cross state bike ride has a training schedule it consists of Saturday and Sunday rides each weekend:

5 miles

10 miles

15 miles

20 miles

25 miles

30 miles

35 miles

40 miles

50 miles

60 miles

70 mlies

That is 11 weeks riding 2 times a week. Many people with no bicycling experience do thses rides and then the cross state ride. So your goal is reasonable.