Going full-time to a bike

iToad

Oct 22, 2010
Greetings forum. I just registered and this is my first post, which of course makes me the ultimate clueless-newbie. Be gentle, I come in peace! This is a bit long, so please bear with me, I need your assistance.

The bottom line is this -- at the age of 49 and tipping the scales at over 325 lbs., my doctor has said get in shape or else. I believe him, so after some time in research and talking to many people, I have come to the conclusion that bicycling is probably the only way for me to alter my lifestyle sufficiently to gain better health. So here's the deal

I sold my vehicle and made a commitment to getting a decent quality bike for all of my transportation needs. I live within a easy distance of my employment, so to this point the walking is not bad. Unfortunately, walking is just not giving me the benefits I want. I considered a gym membership, but at the cost around here for a yearly membership I can purchase half of a decent quality bike,

I desire a commuter type bike that will also function as a tour bike. Here is what I have looked at:

Trek 7.3
Trek / Fisher KaiTai
Trek / Fisher Utopia
REI Novara Safari. Unfortunately this is no longer available, although REI says they will have a replacement in November.

I know these arent the most expensive bikes, but they are functional. Due to what I want to happen with my biking experience, and that it replaces my vehicle, I know that I want to purchase a fluid trainer (I live in a place where snow is deep and cold is at times -30F) for winter riding when I can not get outside with the bike. I also believe that a BoB trailer will be best for me rather than panniers. My budget is in the $1500 range for all of this, so that puts my bike purchase around the $800 mark.

A true road bike is definitely out for me. I live in a area where there are bike trails all over, plus pavement that is not in the best of condition out and about in the countryside.

Any and all comments and suggestions is appreciated.

I see that no one has commented yet and I'm afraid that I don't have a lot to say either. It would be helpful if you could provide some more details on your situation, like where you live, what type of riding you plan to do other than commuting, etc. Your climate will severely limit what you can do on the bike, but a trainer is a good idea. You should talk to a good local shop about all of this. The three bikes that you listed (I haven't looked them up) are but a very few of the possibilities for you. Perhaps someone here can recommend a shope, once we know what "local" is. Otherwise, please read the posts and responses by Sierra Slim, as she is in a somewhat similar situation to yours. A lot of us have been giving her advise as to what type of bike she might need. The trailer aspect is new to me, although I certainly see the practicality of one in your situation. Others here might have some experience with trailers. I guess you already know that shoveling snow is good exercise! Good luck, Steve

I agree with Steve, we need a lot more info but check this out, right on budget and a pretty darn good bike.
Lots of plus things for your needs.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/roam/7507/44080/

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, iToad![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Welcome to the best place online to get advice from friendly people. I know, because -- as Steve told you -- I have been pickin' their brains for about 3 weeks' now, and they are incredibly friendly and generous with helpful information. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm a total novice to biking myself, so I have no advice on bikes as such to give you. However, as Steve also said, we are in similar situations, health-wise. I am morbidly overweight, and after losing and regaining thousands of pounds in my lifetime, sought the advice of a bariatric surgeon in anticipation of possible gastric bypass surgery. I thank GOD for that man, who was quite willing to do the surgery on any of the clients there... IF and AFTER we had dieted and exercised for at least 6 weeks to prove to him that we were committed to the new lifestyle that the surgery would demand. It only proves what a good doctor he is, because the ones who will do the surgery as soon as your insurance will pay are only after money, and not after making you healthy and slender for good! He encouraged me to bike as my primary exercise, since walking on bad knees and ankles is excruciating for me. He also said it was the best exercise an obese person could do -- that and swimming (and if you think I"m putting this body in a swimsuit in public.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Anyway, I have now been eating healthy (I will never 'diet' again!) since mid-July, and [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]have been biking since August 11th of this year. I have lost 35 pounds, and probably 75 inches off my body! I feel like I'm melting away, and it's WONDERFUL. And I know it is due to the biking, because I've dieted before, without exercise, lost very little, and gained it all back immediately when I went off whatever my diet du jour was. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]But the best part is, I have learned to LOVE biking! I haunt these forums about 6 hours a day, reading and trying to learn which bike I should buy to replace the beach cruiser I learned on. But for at least an hour a day (and the time is increasing as I gain endurance), I'm out on my bike, and loving nearly every second of it. It makes me feel like a kid again! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Mind you, the first day on the bike, I went about 1/2 mile, very slowly, and came home and DIED from exhaustion and heat stroke -- or at least it felt like it. But I refused to give up -- and last week I went 9 miles on my bike much faster! I could have gone further if I hadn't been under a time constraint due to an appointment -- and was considering canceling the appointment, because I enjoy the biking soooo much. (And PLEASE don't do any exercise without getting a good heart checkup first!)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm losing an average of 1.5 to 2 pounds per week, my blood pressure has improved, my prediabetic condition has gone away, and even my poor achy knees and ankles feel better after I ride! I have decided NOT to have the surgery, but to continue getting healthy and slender through healthy eating and bike-riding, and I would like nothing more than to read your success story on here along with mine at some point.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy Pedaling! And Happy Getting Healthy! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]P.S., lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]A couple things I HAVE learned on here, courtesy of my buddies' teaching:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]For overweight riders, a carbon fiber bike is probably not for us, due to issues with catastrophic failure. (Sounds ominous, doesn't it???)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And for the many others like us, good wheels and rims with lots of spokes to support the weight are important. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thirdly, I haven't had any problems with my wrists hurting, but I think it's primarily because I ride in an upright position. If you're getting a bike with the lower handlebars, be aware that a lot of your weigfht will rest on your wrists on the handlebars, and that could be where the wrist pain comes from that I see so many people complain about. Just thinkin' aloud here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So see??? I'm not TOTALLY useless, after all. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]