going in and out of ketosis

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Gist, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. The Gist

    The Gist Guest

    I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
    fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad if I
    had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet
    again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like
    that? Any side effects?

    Tags:

  2. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "The Gist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some fat
    >quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad if I had a
    >bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet again
    >afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like that? Any
    >side effects?

    Google Targeted Ketogenic Diet and/or Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.

    David

  3. Keith

    Keith Guest

    The Gist wrote:
    > I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some

    > fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad

    if I
    > had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet

    > again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like
    > that? Any side effects?

    I've always had the best results on a low-carb diet when I incorporated
    weekly refeeds.

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
    > fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad
    > if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb
    > diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis
    > like that? Any side effects?

    You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might crave more
    carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny, too. You may or may
    not be able to resume your diet without trouble.

    YMMV.

  5. The Gist

    The Gist Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
    >>fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad
    >>if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb
    >>diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis
    >>like that? Any side effects?

    > You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might crave more
    > carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny, too. You may or may
    > not be able to resume your diet without trouble.
    >
    > YMMV.

    The reason for the lapse in ketosis was due to my girlfriend's birthday.
    I knew that when we went out to celebrate she would be pissed if I
    didn't eat and drink "normally". Yeah yeah yeah, I know what a bitch but
    girls are more senstive to appearances than guys and it was her night
    out and I didn't want to do anything I know would bother her when we
    were out in public.
    I did end up feeling a little funny but I think that was more due to the
    beers that I had then the bread,pasta, etc. Nothing too horrible I
    guess. No cravings whatsoever for carbs now that teh weekend is over. In
    fact, I am pscyhed to get back into it.
    I read up a little on the CKD diet as someone suggested and I think I
    may try cycling rather than a straight KD. While I don't have any
    willpower issues I figure that for long term compliance CKD is better
    and more fun anyway(fits in with going out for beers saturday nights ;)
    I think I am also going to try mixing ckd with caloric cycling too. I am
    going to have to think about that for quite a bit though.......

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    The Gist wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::
    :::: I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop
    :::: some fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it
    :::: be bad if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the
    :::: low low carb diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and
    :::: out of ketosis like that? Any side effects?
    :::
    :::
    ::: You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might
    ::: crave more carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny,
    ::: too. You may or may not be able to resume your diet without
    ::: trouble.
    :::
    ::: YMMV.
    ::
[...]

    That will work for you as long as you pay attention to calories....don't
    kill your weekday progress on the weekends by eating WAY TOO MUCH! It's
    possible, believe me. Eat reasonably and you can relax a bit and be social
    with your gf (and appear normal!). Seems to be working for if you can get
    back on plan without issues. Make those extra carbs count in the gym, too!