going in and out of ketosis

The Gist

Guest
I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad if I
had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet
again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like
that? Any side effects?

"The Gist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some fat
>quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad if I had a
>bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet again
>afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like that? Any
>side effects?

Google Targeted Ketogenic Diet and/or Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.

David

The Gist wrote:
> I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some

> fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad

if I
> had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb diet

> again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis like
> that? Any side effects?

I've always had the best results on a low-carb diet when I incorporated
weekly refeeds.

The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
> fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad
> if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb
> diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis
> like that? Any side effects?

You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might crave more
carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny, too. You may or may
not be able to resume your diet without trouble.

YMMV.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop some
>>fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it be bad
>>if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the low low carb
>>diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and out of ketosis
>>like that? Any side effects?

> You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might crave more
> carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny, too. You may or may
> not be able to resume your diet without trouble.
>
> YMMV.

The reason for the lapse in ketosis was due to my girlfriend's birthday.
I knew that when we went out to celebrate she would be ****** if I
didn't eat and drink "normally". Yeah yeah yeah, I know what a ***** but
girls are more senstive to appearances than guys and it was her night
out and I didn't want to do anything I know would bother her when we
were out in public.
I did end up feeling a little funny but I think that was more due to the
beers that I had then the bread,pasta, etc. Nothing too horrible I
guess. No cravings whatsoever for carbs now that teh weekend is over. In
fact, I am pscyhed to get back into it.
I read up a little on the CKD diet as someone suggested and I think I
may try cycling rather than a straight KD. While I don't have any
willpower issues I figure that for long term compliance CKD is better
and more fun anyway(fits in with going out for beers saturday nights ;)
I think I am also going to try mixing ckd with caloric cycling too. I am
going to have to think about that for quite a bit though.......

The Gist wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: The Gist <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
:::: I have been a diet low low in carbs to get into ketosis and drop
:::: some fat quick and it has been very successful. However, would it
:::: be bad if I had a bunch of carbs today and then continue on the
:::: low low carb diet again afterwards? Is it possible to swing in and
:::: out of ketosis like that? Any side effects?
:::
:::
::: You'll gain a lot of water weight almost over night and you might
::: crave more carbs. The extra carbs may make you feel a bit funny,
::: too. You may or may not be able to resume your diet without
::: trouble.
:::
::: YMMV.
::
[...]

That will work for you as long as you pay attention to calories....don't
kill your weekday progress on the weekends by eating WAY TOO MUCH! It's
possible, believe me. Eat reasonably and you can relax a bit and be social
with your gf (and appear normal!). Seems to be working for if you can get
back on plan without issues. Make those extra carbs count in the gym, too!