Going off.....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Neil Guthrie, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Neil Guthrie

    Neil Guthrie Guest

    Boo!

    On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where I
    feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet where
    I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.

    Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a 30'
    drop which I will never in my lifetime attempt) I would just do a nose dive straight into the ground
    and "die".

    So...is this/what is the right technique?

    Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?

    Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?

    Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?

    What kind of speed do you need?

    Thanks!,

    SC

    Tags:

  2. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "Neil Guthrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Boo!
    >
    > On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where I
    > feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet
    > where I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.
    >
    > Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a
    > 30' drop which I will never in my lifetime
    attempt)
    > I would just do a nose dive straight into the ground and "die".
    >
    > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    >
    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    >
    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?
    >
    > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?
    >
    > What kind of speed do you need?
    >
    > Thanks!,
    >
    > SC

    Every situation and terrain are unique. Is the section on a slope? Is it flat? What lies beyond the
    section? What lies before the section? Some drops can be taken at speed so can be "bunny hopped".
    Other sections with protruding rocks where you must choose a line carefully are taken more slowly
    thus using the "wheelie drop". My son (13) and I encountered a drop last week that was about 18". 3
    Ft. beyond the drop was 2 rocks with just enough room to get the tires through. He was taking the
    drop at speed focusing more on the drop then the line and objects beyond. He hit one of the rocks
    with his front wheel and went down. After a little discussion and Band-Aids he got back up and tried
    it again successfully. If it is an extreme slope and you're a down hillier then throw it all out the
    window and breath after its all done.

    Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Neil Guthrie <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Boo!
    >
    > On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where I
    > feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet
    > where I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.
    >
    > Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a
    > 30' drop which I will never in my lifetime
    attempt)
    > I would just do a nose dive straight into the ground and "die".
    >
    > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    >
    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    >
    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?
    >
    > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?
    >
    > What kind of speed do you need?
    >
    > Thanks!,

    The better riders will no doubt tell you better, but here's what I do:

    Depends on speed - if I'm going at a clip, I just lean back a bit and go for it without really
    thinking about it, if I'm going slower, I pull on the bars by throwing my weight back a bit, roll
    the back wheel off with front about 1" off the ground. If I'm going really slow, I push down on a
    pedal to get the front light then roll the back wheel off.

    One of my first posts here was about me practicing 2-ish foot wheelie drops after seeing a picture
    RR of some urban from Carla - I stuffed it up quite nicely and busted my nose up/got a bit of
    concussion (Oh, I was new to front suss at the time too, which didn't help matters! Back end hit a
    bump before rolling off the edge kicking the front down, when the front hit the deck, it hit a small
    dip, fork compressed, I got 'levered' into the ground face first, bike on my back........).

    I just practiced and practiced and practiced after that starting with 6" kerbs and building up
    bit-by-bit - I'm still far from any good at these, but 3" or so isn't so much of a problem, if I'm
    in the mood, heheheheh......

    Shaun aRe - offering the novices perspective.

  4. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:04:25 +0000, Neil Guthrie wrote:

    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?

    Very rarely, only on short run-ins.

    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?

    Basically. I just have a healthy amount of speed, pull up a bit to keep the front up, and then fall
    gracefully back to earth. But depending on the landing/transition, you may need the front lower.

    > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?

    I wouldnt.

    > What kind of speed do you need?

    Depends on the drop. If you need to clear a gap, then obviously more speed. If its just a drop, then
    just rolling speed.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  5. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:04:25 -0400, Neil Guthrie wrote:

    > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    >
    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    >
    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?

    The best thing I ever learned were manuals. While I cannot do a true coaster wheelie, it's a
    technique that works well for drops that doesn't get you all twisted like a powered wheelie would.
    Imagine throwing the bike out in front of you. You weigh more than it does, so it tends to rotate
    around your center of gravity, ie: come up in front. It just seems like a more natural motion than
    trying to pull up on the bars. Try it on small stuff 1st :)

    -Bruce

  6. Neil Guthrie

    Neil Guthrie Guest

    > Every situation and terrain are unique. Is the section on a slope? Is it flat? What lies beyond
    > the section? What lies before the section? Some drops can be taken at speed so can be "bunny
    > hopped". Other sections with protruding rocks where you must choose a line carefully are taken
    > more slowly thus using the "wheelie drop". My son (13) and I encountered a
    drop
    > last week that was about 18". 3 Ft. beyond the drop was 2 rocks with just enough room to get the
    > tires through. He was taking the drop at speed focusing more on the drop then the line and objects
    > beyond. He hit one of the rocks with his front wheel and went down. After a little discussion
    and
    > Band-Aids he got back up and tried it again successfully. If it is an extreme slope and you're a
    > down hillier then throw it all out the window and breath after its all done.
    >
    > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

    Thanks...

    Let's say its x-country riding, clean landing area, and an even to slightly downhill launch and
    landing zone.

    SC

  7. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "Neil Guthrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Every situation and terrain are unique. Is the section on a slope? Is
    it
    > > flat? What lies beyond the section? What lies before the section? Some drops can be taken at
    > > speed so can be "bunny hopped". Other sections
    with
    > > protruding rocks where you must choose a line carefully are taken more slowly thus using the
    > > "wheelie drop". My son (13) and I encountered a
    > drop
    > > last week that was about 18". 3 Ft. beyond the drop was 2 rocks with
    just
    > > enough room to get the tires through. He was taking the drop at speed focusing more on the drop
    > > then the line and objects beyond. He hit one
    of
    > > the rocks with his front wheel and went down. After a little discussion
    > and
    > > Band-Aids he got back up and tried it again successfully. If it is an extreme slope and you're a
    > > down hillier then throw it all
    out
    > > the window and breath after its all done.
    > >
    > > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas
    > >

    > Thanks...
    >
    > Let's say its x-country riding, clean landing area, and an even to
    slightly
    > downhill launch and landing zone.
    >
    > SC

    I would just manually (see post on manuals) pull up on the bars or spring off the ledge bunny
    hopping, slightly pulling up and letting rear wheel land first. (all with some speed).

    Cleanbean

  8. Neil Guthrie

    Neil Guthrie Guest

    > The best thing I ever learned were manuals. While I cannot do a true coaster wheelie, it's a
    > technique that works well for drops that doesn't get you all twisted like a powered wheelie would.
    > Imagine throwing the bike out in front of you. You weigh more than it does, so it tends to rotate
    > around your center of gravity, ie: come up in front. It just seems like a more natural motion than
    > trying to pull up on the bars. Try it on small stuff 1st :)
    >
    > -Bruce

    So at the ledge you just push the bike forward and get your ass behind the seat and roll off?

    I assume that if you don't have anough speed then you will land front wheel first and maybe run into
    problems and that with the right speed you will land on both wheels or the rear one first.

    Any issues with the seat getting in the way? I ride x-country so its not way down. But it is also
    lower than the "recommended" slightly bent knee height. I can maybe imagine pushing the bike
    forward, having the front wheel dip slightly initially as I move my ass back and having the now
    slightly raised seat get in the way?

    Thanks, SC

  9. Neil Guthrie

    Neil Guthrie Guest

    > Depends on speed - if I'm going at a clip, I just lean back a bit and go
    for
    > it without really thinking about it, if I'm going slower, I pull on the
    bars
    > by throwing my weight back a bit, roll the back wheel off with front about 1" off the ground. If
    > I'm going really slow, I push down on a pedal to get the front light then roll the back wheel off.

    Thanks!...just what I was looking for..I'll go right for the 30 foot hands-freee drops now.

    > One of my first posts here was about me practicing 2-ish foot wheelie
    drops
    > after seeing a picture RR of some urban from Carla - I stuffed it up quite nicely and busted my
    > nose up/got a bit of concussion (Oh, I was new to
    front
    > suss at the time too, which didn't help matters! Back end hit a bump
    before
    > rolling off the edge kicking the front down, when the front hit the deck,
    it
    > hit a small dip, fork compressed, I got 'levered' into the ground face first, bike on my
    > back........).

    Maybe it's my turn to experience that.

    SC

  10. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > What kind of speed do you need?
    >
    > Thanks!,
    >
    > SC

    The faster your speed, the smoother your landing will be. If the landing area is clear, I generate
    as much speed as I can before hitting the drop, then I just pull up on the bars and fly off of it.
    If the approach is too rocky to pick up speed, then I'll attempt to wheelie drop by popping a
    wheelie just before my front tire goes over the edge. If the landing area is gnarly or ends in a
    turn, then I face my last option, trying to go down one wheel at a time with my buttocks saying
    hello to my rear tire.

    -John Morgan

    The first tip was given to me by a former pro DH'er, the rest I just made up.

  11. Kanotspell

    Kanotspell Guest

    Neil Guthrie wrote:

    > So...is this/what is the right technique?

    Plenty of folks are going to chip in technique advice but I'll toss this out there; find a good
    place to practice. Urban riding is great for finding nice clean drops at varying heights. Retaining
    walls that start small and work their way up are great. Go out and explore on your bike and keep
    your eyes peeled when driving around. Do small drops over and over until you get comfortable.

  12. "Neil Guthrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Boo!
    >
    > On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where I
    > feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet
    > where I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.
    >
    > Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a
    > 30' drop which I will never in my lifetime
    attempt)
    > I would just do a nose dive straight into the ground and "die".
    >
    > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    >
    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    >
    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?
    >
    > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?
    >
    > What kind of speed do you need?
    >
    > Thanks!,
    >
    > SC

    Moderate speed, more is probably safer than less, unless the landing is a downslope :-(. You don't
    really need to jump / hop off, just shift your weight back a teeny bit, not too much or you risk
    looping out off the back. If you are going slow then you may need to wheelie off, otherwise a gentle
    weight shift should do it. You are aiming to keep the bike level and land both wheels together. Stay
    clear of drops with an entry that is downhill, you will find it difficult to get your weight far
    back enough at first. Relax and all will be well. Oh and wear a helmet just in case.

    Steve.

  13. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:00:58 -0400, Neil Guthrie wrote:

    >> The best thing I ever learned were manuals. While I cannot do a true coaster wheelie, it's a
    >> technique that works well for drops that doesn't get you all twisted like a powered wheelie
    >> would. Imagine throwing the bike out in front of you. You weigh more than it does, so it tends to
    >> rotate around your center of gravity, ie: come up in front. It just seems like a more natural
    >> motion than trying to pull up on the bars. Try it on small stuff 1st :)
    >>
    >> -Bruce
    >
    > So at the ledge you just push the bike forward and get your ass behind the seat and roll off?

    It's really kind of a throw, not a push. You could also think of it as throwing yourself backwards.
    Anything to get the bike to pivot upward and forward.

    > I assume that if you don't have anough speed then you will land front wheel first and maybe run
    > into problems and that with the right speed you will land on both wheels or the rear one first.

    Depends on a lot of factors. With enough effort into the move, you can get it to work pretty slowly,
    but in general, faster takes less effort.

    > Any issues with the seat getting in the way? I ride x-country so its not way down. But it is also
    > lower than the "recommended" slightly bent knee height. I can maybe imagine pushing the bike
    > forward, having the front wheel dip slightly initially as I move my ass back and having the now
    > slightly raised seat get in the way?

    Yes, drop the seat for DH.

    > Thanks, SC

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Neil Guthrie wrote:
    > Boo!
    >
    > On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where I
    > feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet
    > where I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.
    >
    > Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a
    > 30' drop which I will never in my lifetime attempt) I would just do a nose dive straight into the
    > ground and "die".
    >
    > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    >
    > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    >
    > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get your weight back?
    >
    > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?
    >
    > What kind of speed do you need?

    Learn to manual for short distances. This is wheelying without pedalling - hanging your arse over
    the rear wheel. When you have some idea of your balance point, start dropping off curbs and work
    your way up. Eventually, you'll get to this: http://j-harris.net/bike/cliff/cliff.jpg

  15. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "kanotspell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Neil Guthrie wrote:
    >
    > > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    > >

    > Plenty of folks are going to chip in technique advice but I'll toss this out there; find a good
    > place to practice. Urban riding is great for finding nice clean drops at varying heights.
    > Retaining walls that start small and work their way up are great. Go out and explore on your bike
    > and keep your eyes peeled when driving around. Do small drops over and over until you get
    > comfortable.

    Yeah what Kanot said. I haven't looked at landscaping the same way since I started urban riding.
    Also if you don't have enough speed, throw in a 'pedal kick' as you reach the edge to help get the
    front end up so you make a two point landing. Start practicing on a curb and work your way up to
    big walls.

    Mike

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Neil Guthrie wrote:
    > > Boo!
    > >
    > > On my last couple of rides I have been gaining more and more confidence. I'm at the point where
    > > I feel like I want to start doing jumps. More precisely riding off ledges of let's say 2-3 feet
    > > where I would usually just let my front tire slowly drop in and then follow my bike over.
    > >
    > > Up to now I had it in my head that if I were to "jump" off these things (especially imagining a
    > > 30' drop which I will never in my lifetime
    attempt)
    > > I would just do a nose dive straight into the ground and "die".
    > >
    > > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    > >
    > > Do you imagine yourself doing a wheelie/bunny hop over the edge?
    > >
    > > Do you just get your weight back? Pull up on the handlebars and get
    your
    > > weight back?
    > >
    > > Do a clipless cheater bunny hop?
    > >
    > > What kind of speed do you need?
    >
    > Learn to manual for short distances. This is wheelying without pedalling - hanging your arse over
    > the rear wheel. When you have some idea of your balance point, start dropping off curbs and work
    > your way up. Eventually, you'll get to this: http://j-harris.net/bike/cliff/cliff.jpg

    Get to plaid shorts?! ;^0

    Mike

  17. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "kanotspell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Neil Guthrie wrote:
    >
    > > So...is this/what is the right technique?
    > >

    > Plenty of folks are going to chip in technique advice but I'll toss this out there; find a good
    > place to practice. Urban riding is great for finding nice clean drops at varying heights.
    > Retaining walls that start small and work their way up are great. Go out and explore on your bike
    > and keep your eyes peeled when driving around. Do small drops over and over until you get
    > comfortable.

    There is a place just like that about one block down the street from me. Sure there is a curb,
    with a grass-sidewalk-grass easement. The retaining wall starts flush with the grass in the field,
    then moves up the length of the diamond to about five feet. The only problem is the freakin
    chainlink fence!!!!

    --
    Cameron

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Neil Guthrie <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Depends on speed - if I'm going at a clip, I just lean back a bit and go
    > for
    > > it without really thinking about it, if I'm going slower, I pull on the
    > bars
    > > by throwing my weight back a bit, roll the back wheel off with front
    about
    > > 1" off the ground. If I'm going really slow, I push down on a pedal to
    get
    > > the front light then roll the back wheel off.
    >
    > Thanks!...just what I was looking for..I'll go right for the 30 foot hands-freee drops now.

    Get your mates to have a camera ready ',;~}~

    > > One of my first posts here was about me practicing 2-ish foot wheelie
    > drops
    > > after seeing a picture RR of some urban from Carla - I stuffed it up
    quite
    > > nicely and busted my nose up/got a bit of concussion (Oh, I was new to
    > front
    > > suss at the time too, which didn't help matters! Back end hit a bump
    > before
    > > rolling off the edge kicking the front down, when the front hit the
    deck,
    > it
    > > hit a small dip, fork compressed, I got 'levered' into the ground face first, bike on my
    > > back........).
    >
    > Maybe it's my turn to experience that.

    Heh - just don't get carried away at first! - You'll be fine.

    Shaun aRe

  19. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:47:12 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Neil Guthrie <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Depends on speed - if I'm going at a clip, I just lean back a bit and go
    >> for
    >> > it without really thinking about it, if I'm going slower, I pull on the
    >> bars
    >> > by throwing my weight back a bit, roll the back wheel off with front
    > about
    >> > 1" off the ground. If I'm going really slow, I push down on a pedal to
    > get
    >> > the front light then roll the back wheel off.
    >>
    >> Thanks!...just what I was looking for..I'll go right for the 30 foot hands-freee drops now.
    >
    > Get your mates to have a camera ready ',;~}~

    Redneck's last words: "Hey y'all watch this"

    -Bruce

  20. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    bruce edge scribbled :
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:47:12 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >

    >> Neil Guthrie <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>> for
    >>> bars
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!...just what I was looking for..I'll go right for the 30 foot hands-freee drops now.
    >>
    >> Get your mates to have a camera ready ',;~}~
    >>

    > Redneck's last words: "Hey y'all watch this"
    >
    > -Bruce

    I thought it was, "hold my beer and watch this..." ;-)