Going on a trip this summer, i need advice

Vishal

Mar 7, 2005
hello everybody. i've been lurking here for a while and appreciate all the info that is shared.

My friend and i are planning on taking a trip from San Francisco to home (orange county/ 40 miles south of LA). We are both pretty much beginners and have horrible bikes. I am looking for recommendation on a bike. we are in the 300-500 dollar budget for each bike. Most reviews and threads asking for advice talk about bike over a grand. is it possible to get a nice bike for 300-500 dollars that is worthy of a 500 mile 10-14 day trip?

Thanks,
Vishal

Vishal said:
hello everybody. i've been lurking here for a while and appreciate all the info that is shared.

My friend and i are planning on taking a trip from San Francisco to home (orange county/ 40 miles south of LA). We are both pretty much beginners and have horrible bikes. I am looking for recommendation on a bike. we are in the 300-500 dollar budget for each bike. Most reviews and threads asking for advice talk about bike over a grand. is it possible to get a nice bike for 300-500 dollars that is worthy of a 500 mile 10-14 day trip?

Thanks,
Vishal
You need to define what you are doing? Staying in a motel and eating restraunt food or packing everything? FWIW, $3-500 doesn't buy much of a nice new bike.

Vishal said:

Thanks,
Vishal

See if you can find used Trek 520 or a quality older touring bicycle. Sometimes people are upgrading and have an older bicycle that has lots of life left in it. Have a trusted shop check it over and be prepared to invest some additional for tires, chain, cables, housings, brake pads, adjustments. If you find a "candidate" see if the seller is willing to take it to your shop for evaluation... so you don't buy a $300 bicycle that need $300 work/parts.

We are going to be staying at campsites and hostels. I wasnt planning on a new bike. I was just wondering IF there are any bikes out there that are going to be able to take this sort of journey that are around 400 bucks, give or take. I've been checking e-bay for local sellers to browse but havent found any that have the approx measurements I think I should be looking for.

Vishal said:
We are going to be staying at campsites and hostels. I wasnt planning on a new bike. I was just wondering IF there are any bikes out there that are going to be able to take this sort of journey that are around 400 bucks, give or take. I've been checking e-bay for local sellers to browse but havent found any that have the approx measurements I think I should be looking for.
Try www.craigslist.org

Make sure that you're looking under SF. Check the for sale section and there will be a bikes link. Good luck with the trip and bike.

I've done this trip before and it took me 5 days (averaging 100 miles a day). It's an awesome ride. I did the ride on my hard tail mtb mounted with slicks with a rack and pannier bags mounted on the rear. Check craigslist like the other poster mentioned. You can find some pretty good deals on bike around LA and Orange Co.

Have you checked www.adventurecycling.org? They have the best map for this route and others. When are you planning on this trip?

Vishal said:

Thanks,
Vishal
Do you have experience riding a road bike? They can be a bit unforgiven if you aren't used to one. If so, I would take a look at a used frame that is in good condition (no noticeable dents or rust) and look at Shimano 105 components and a set of standard Mavic rims with 32 or 36 hole hubs (check to see that they are true and they spin freely). Take a look at Raleigh, Schwinn, Fuji or Trek. I know, I know, they were all the rage back in the 70's but they still make some very nice inexpensive frames. I'm partial to steel, but aluminum can be just as nice (you won't find carbon or ti until you up your budget quite a bit). I would also make sure that the cables aren't rusted or frayed, the shifting is functioning properly and spring for some new rubber and a chain. It sounds like you will be doing 30-50 miles per day, so make sure you get some time in the saddle before your trip so you can get the correct position dialed in. My first bike was a used Raleigh that I paid $270 for and I raced tri's and rode a few centuries with. You don't need to drop tons of dough to enjoy it. Keep checking e-bay, or inquire around with some local clubs. There are ton's of nice "b-bikes" that club riders could unload for some quick cash. Good luck!
Pete
:cool:

i have gone to adventure cycling's website. looks like good info. I was planning on buying "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" and that includes routes and contact info for hostels and campsites as well as suggested sights to see.

What we plan on doing is taking one or two drives up and back down and noting mileages from city to city and note things we might want to see when we are on the trip. Basically to get a feel of what we are up against and have a better knowledge of the road. We are either going to take our bikes up there on our last car run and leave them at my cousins house. then when the time comes, take a plane or train/bus to sf and get the bikes. or we might just take the bikes on the train. I'm not sure if busses or trains accomodate bikes but i will find out.

peter, i havent ridden a road bike. as of now i've been riding around on my brothers generic moutain bike that i put a serfas rx seat on. thanks for the info.

thanks for the info everyone. i will be checking craiglist and ebay frequently.

You need to first buy a bike that suits your comfort level, and train with your friend for at least a year in all kinds of weather. Once you get your daily averages up a little bit, then you will have an idea if it is do-able.
Don't just go shopping for some five hundred dollar bike and get on it all the way to LA. The experience will be distastefull and horrible. You will never want to do it again. I would rather walk.
I just bought the used bike of my dreams on Ebay for 500 bucks, because I knew exactly what I wanted. I fitted it with new rims and now I am totally happy. You have to know what you want, then you may be able to get the price. If you wave money around, anyone will take it.

Hooben said:
You need to first buy a bike that suits your comfort level, and train with your friend for at least a year in all kinds of weather. Once you get your daily averages up a little bit, then you will have an idea if it is do-able.
Don't just go shopping for some five hundred dollar bike and get on it all the way to LA. The experience will be distastefull and horrible. You will never want to do it again. I would rather walk.
I just bought the used bike of my dreams on Ebay for 500 bucks, because I knew exactly what I wanted. I fitted it with new rims and now I am totally happy. You have to know what you want, then you may be able to get the price. If you wave money around, anyone will take it.
This reply drove me to contribute. You do not have to train for a year!! As long as you take it very easy on the first few days of the trip, and ride as much as you can between now and starting out, you will manage it. Much of the training is done on the tour! If your current bike fits you and is mechanically sound, it will be adequate. If it really is "horrible", then you will be able to find an adequate bike within your budget. Slick tyres, a rear rack and rear panniers are to be recommended. Don't ride with a big rucksack.
Think positively- you'll have fun.