Going out on a limb

Ernst Noch

Guest
Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

Ernst Noch wrote:
> Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

or not

[email protected] says...

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:34:06 +0200, Ernst Noch <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

>Lance looks he's toying with the others.

More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train steamrolls
tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

Bringing a saw...

your limb is toast.

Mad Dog wrote:
> More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train steamrolls
> tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary (minus a day) of Fabio Casartelli's
death on the Col de Portet d'Aspet, which is the first climb of
tomorrow's stage, so I predict that Armstrong wil put in a big effort
and win the stage.

David Ferguson wrote:
> Bringing a saw...
>
> your limb is toast.
>

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:34:06 +0200, Ernst Noch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

Wait-- he did get dropped, and it turned out not so bad, at all
(depending on). AAMF, a nice career-topping prize for a most deserving
stage winner, and more GC time for LA.

Sooooo...

Tell us what's gonna happen tomorrow? --TP

[email protected] wrote:
> David Ferguson wrote:
>
>>Bringing a saw...
>>
>>your limb is toast.
>>

>>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:34:06 +0200, Ernst Noch <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

> Wait-- he did get dropped, and it turned out not so bad, at all
> (depending on). AAMF, a nice career-topping prize for a most deserving
> stage winner, and more GC time for LA.
>
> Sooooo...
>
> Tell us what's gonna happen tomorrow? --TP

I think I'll refrain from further prognoses - predicting that Lance will
do damage tomorrow would be unoriginal ...

On 16 Jul 2005 08:06:46 -0700, Mad Dog <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Lance looks he's toying with the others.

>More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train steamrolls
>tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

He didn't look like he was giving it more than 90% at any point but
the very end.

If the finish had been at the top of the Pailheres, the results would
have been dramatically different.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:00:02 GMT, Jerry Gardner
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mad Dog wrote:
>> More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train steamrolls
>> tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

>Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary (minus a day) of Fabio Casartelli's
>death on the Col de Portet d'Aspet, which is the first climb of
>tomorrow's stage, so I predict that Armstrong wil put in a big effort
>and win the stage.

:-|

uhh, yeah.

I think that's been the concensus since the route was released.

Mad Dog wrote:
> [email protected] says...
>

>>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:34:06 +0200, Ernst Noch <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Armstrong will get dropped today - though probably not too badly

>>Lance looks he's toying with the others.

> More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train steamrolls
> tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

None of us knows for sure how Armstrong *felt* today during the T-Mobile
attacks (but clearly not too bad). What IS clear is that he's great at
maximizing whatever he's got - today he did a great job with tactics in
the situation at hand.

Isolated from your team? Stick with the lead group, often using it to
your own advantage. In particular...

Dangerous group pulls away? Hold off a bit with Rasmussen, then bridge
across to get with the group and put Rasmussen in trouble.

Vino attacks? Just wait for Ullrich or Kloden to chase! :(

Impressive from LA - not so impressive from T-MOB, though good if they
are racing for third, putting time into Rasmussen.

Mark

"Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]...
> Mad Dog wrote:
>> [email protected] says...

>>>Lance looks he's toying with the others.

>> More like playing a smart game of chess. If the Discovery Train
>> steamrolls
>> tomorrow, I think it's safe to say they have developed a pattern.

> None of us knows for sure how Armstrong *felt* today during the T-Mobile
> attacks (but clearly not too bad). What IS clear is that he's great at
> maximizing whatever he's got - today he did a great job with tactics in
> the situation at hand.
>
> Isolated from your team? Stick with the lead group, often using it to
> your own advantage. In particular...
>
> Dangerous group pulls away? Hold off a bit with Rasmussen, then bridge
> across to get with the group and put Rasmussen in trouble.
>
> Vino attacks? Just wait for Ullrich or Kloden to chase! :(
>
> Impressive from LA - not so impressive from T-MOB, though good if they are
> racing for third, putting time into Rasmussen.
>
> Mark

Nothing special in today's tactics from Armstrong. But then nothing special
was needed. He's the strongest out there.

Armstrong didn't put Rasmussen in trouble. He was already in trouble when
the others attacked and he couldn't go with them. Didn't have it today.

When the group pulled away, Armstrong waited a bit to see if any of his team
mates were around. Waited a bit for Popovich to come up to him. When he saw
that Popo couldn't help, he bridged the gap himself (rather easily).

Armstrong wasn't going to chase Vino no matter what Ullrich or Kloden did or
didn't do. He was over 7 minutes down at the start of the stage.

Tactics are much more important when you're in a position of weakness. When
you're ahead and the strongest one there, tactics are pretty minimal. Keep
control. Cover all serious threats. Sprint for the line and smile for the
cameras.