Going short: fork recommendations?

David

Guest
I'm thinking about replacing the Z1 on my hardtail (currently my only bike) with a 80mm air-fork.
I'd like the following:

1. One that works well for a lighter rider (from MTBR reviews, some air-forks seem to have poor
small bump compliance for light riders).

2. Short axle to crown distance. It seems like manufacturers don't usually publish this number.
I've read claims that Marzocchi's are tall for the amount of travel. I think Manitou claims
their reverse-arch forks are lower than others.

3. Accepts a front fender. Not sure if this eliminates reverse-arch forks or not. I was thinking of
buying one awhile ago, and I knew how to fender it then. No idea now.

4. Cheap. Because I am. If it's on clearance, that's fine. No problem waiting a few more weeks for
more sales.

Prefer air, but I guess I'd get a coil-spring fork if I have to. I'm tired of the hassle of ordering
softer springs, installing them, etc., but if it gets me a really good deal...

Any suggestions?

David wrote:
> I'm thinking about replacing the Z1 on my hardtail (currently my only bike) with a 80mm air-fork.
> I'd like the following:
>
> 1. One that works well for a lighter rider (from MTBR reviews, some air-forks seem to have poor
> small bump compliance for light riders).
>
> 2. Short axle to crown distance. It seems like manufacturers don't usually publish this number.
> I've read claims that Marzocchi's are tall for the amount of travel. I think Manitou claims
> their reverse-arch forks are lower than others.
>
> 3. Accepts a front fender. Not sure if this eliminates reverse-arch forks or not. I was thinking
> of buying one awhile ago, and I knew how to fender it then. No idea now.
>
> 4. Cheap. Because I am. If it's on clearance, that's fine. No problem waiting a few more weeks
> for more sales.
>
> Prefer air, but I guess I'd get a coil-spring fork if I have to. I'm tired of the hassle of
> ordering softer springs, installing them, etc., but if it gets me a really good deal...
>
> Any suggestions?

Try a RS Duke. YOu can get good deals on them. I have found them to steer very well, and have pretty
good suspension action.

Miles

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:46:34 -0800, David wrote:

> Prefer air, but I guess I'd get a coil-spring fork if I have to. I'm tired of the hassle of
> ordering softer springs, installing them, etc., but if it gets me a really good deal...

Well, it USED to be that coil/oil forks were more durable & lower maintenance, and thus a better
choice for day-to-day use (unless this is a race bike, of course). Has that changed?

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about replacing the Z1 on my hardtail (currently my only
bike) with
> a 80mm air-fork. I'd like the following:
>
> 1. One that works well for a lighter rider (from MTBR reviews, some
air-forks seem
> to have poor small bump compliance for light riders).
>
> 2. Short axle to crown distance. It seems like manufacturers don't
usually publish this
> number. I've read claims that Marzocchi's are tall for the amount of
travel. I think Manitou
> claims their reverse-arch forks are lower than others.
>
> 3. Accepts a front fender. Not sure if this eliminates reverse-arch
forks or not. I was
> thinking of buying one awhile ago, and I knew how to fender it then. No
idea now.

> 4. Cheap. Because I am. If it's on clearance, that's fine. No problem
waiting a few more
> weeks for more sales.
>
> Prefer air, but I guess I'd get a coil-spring fork if I have to. I'm
tired of the hassle of ordering
> softer springs, installing them, etc., but if it gets me a really good
deal...

> Any suggestions?

I weigh about 150 Lbs (is that what you mean by lighter?) and I love my Manitou Elite Air. Not sure
about being able to add fenders, but it is a good 80 mm fork. Pretty easy to adjust, holds pressure
well, and has a very plush feel. Mine's a couple of years old. Maybe there are some old Elite Airs
laying around in a warehouse somewhere that could be had cheap...

Matt

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, it USED to be that coil/oil forks were more durable & lower maintenance, and thus a better
> choice for day-to-day use (unless this is a race bike, of course). Has that changed?

Doubt it. Until recently I had one of each, and it was certainly the case there. But I really liked
the easy of dialing in the air fork. Last time I ordered Marzocchi springs it took quite awhile.
Manitou springs took me less time. When I needed RS springs I was able to get them at an LBS. The
common thread though is needing to buy new springs, spend more time and money, and hope that they
worked well.

RE/
>Well, it USED to be that coil/oil forks were more durable & lower maintenance, and thus a better
>choice for day-to-day use (unless this is a race bike, of course). Has that changed?

I've got over 4,000 miles on the 'zocci X-fly (air) on my FS with no problems.

Got about 200 miles on my Manitou "Black" 80mm coil on my hardtail and it's toast - no damping
whatsoever.
--
PeteCresswell

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about replacing the Z1 on my hardtail (currently my only
bike) with
> a 80mm air-fork. I'd like the following:
>
> 1. One that works well for a lighter rider (from MTBR reviews, some
air-forks seem
> to have poor small bump compliance for light riders).
>
> 2. Short axle to crown distance. It seems like manufacturers don't
usually publish this
> number. I've read claims that Marzocchi's are tall for the amount of
travel. I think Manitou
> claims their reverse-arch forks are lower than others.
>
> 3. Accepts a front fender. Not sure if this eliminates reverse-arch
forks or not. I was
> thinking of buying one awhile ago, and I knew how to fender it then. No
idea now.

> 4. Cheap. Because I am. If it's on clearance, that's fine. No problem
waiting a few more
> weeks for more sales.
>
> Prefer air, but I guess I'd get a coil-spring fork if I have to. I'm
tired of the hassle of ordering
> softer springs, installing them, etc., but if it gets me a really good
deal...

> Any suggestions?

3750 km on Manitou Skareb Elite, and simply love it. A friend of my'n had a RS, ton of trouble with
it and there is no way that name will go on my bike. Skareb Elite for the money looks the best air
deal and it looks great. Simple to use also, lock out unnecessary since compression on full "less"
setup for my'n 61 kilos is actual lock out, still if I hit something it will not break.

Hope that will serve me nice tomorrow too, after I wrote all that.

Fenderwise, it works for me, I have Specialized three piece set and it's fine.

"Short axle to crown distance" - well for that you should download spec or go to some shop I did not
compare that with anything else.

Tomorrow if I shop for something more expensive, probably would go for Skareb platinum of Fox F80X
but Manitou is a looker.

Hope that will help,

D'amir

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking about replacing the Z1 on my hardtail (currently my only bike) with a 80mm air-fork.
<snip>
> Any suggestions?

Light, inexpensive and hassle free = Surly 1x1.

JD