GOING SOUTH FROM SEATAC

Hank

Guest
Hello, I've noticed during my trip planning that most people (everyone I've read about) is biking
from the Seatac Airport North towards a ferry. Does anyone know about an alternate route going south
through Olympia perhaps and down to Centralia (where we'd like to hook up with an established bike
route towards Astoria). Thanks to any and all help in advance. Ciao, Hank

Well I ride from seatac "Boeing", south to home in Des Moines down hwy.
99. The worst place is right along side the airport south bound, there is no bike lane so you are
out with the phycos on the hwy. I normally ride on the north bound side against traffic to stay
safe and the cops have never stopped me. Hwy. 99 runs a long way south, it was the main road
before I5. Military road sort of parallels 99 but depending on the time of day can be pretty
hazordous. You can also take the Interurban bike trail for a ways south too but I don't know if
it goes much past Pacific.

Hank wrote:

> Hello, I've noticed during my trip planning that most people (everyone I've read about) is biking
> from the Seatac Airport North towards a ferry. Does anyone know about an alternate route going
> south through Olympia perhaps and down to Centralia (where we'd like to hook up with an
> established bike route towards Astoria). Thanks to any and all help in advance. Ciao, Hank

[email protected] (Hank) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello, I've noticed during my trip planning that most people (everyone I've read about) is biking
> from the Seatac Airport North towards a ferry. Does anyone know about an alternate route going
> south through Olympia perhaps and down to Centralia (where we'd like to hook up with an
> established bike route towards Astoria).

If you'd like to get to Centralia, and are indifferent about Olympia, using the STP route makes a
fair bit of sense. Go to the Cascade Bicycle club site http://www.cascade.org and click on
Events/STP. Last year's route map should be fine. If you need to figure out how to connect from the
airport to the STP route, contact me.

Warm Regards,

Claire no sig this morning

[email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Hank) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello, I've noticed during my trip planning that most people (everyone I've read about) is
> > biking from the Seatac Airport North towards a ferry. Does anyone know about an alternate route
> > going south through Olympia perhaps and down to Centralia (where we'd like to hook up with an
> > established bike route towards Astoria).
>
> If you'd like to get to Centralia, and are indifferent about Olympia, using the STP route makes a
> fair bit of sense. Go to the Cascade Bicycle club site http://www.cascade.org and click on
> Events/STP. Last year's route map should be fine. If you need to figure out how to connect from
> the airport to the STP route, contact me.

OK, I see now that the Cascade site doesn't have the 2003 map up, and they don't still have last
year's. So I'd email the nice folks at Cascade and ask for last year's as a PDF file.

And here's the scoop on how to intersect with the route they'll send you: From the airport, take
188th. This road will drift off to the right, cross under I-5, and will become Ortilla Road. Ortilla
will descend into the Kent Valley and becomes 212nd. 212nd will cross the West Valley Hwy (SR 181 or
68th Ave S), which is the STP route.

The STP route is mostly flat (a big hill around Puyallup) and has very little traffic. You should
find it a relatively easy ride.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

> From the airport, take 188th. This road will drift off to the right, cross under I-5, and will
> become Ortilla Road. Ortilla will descend into the Kent Valley and becomes 212nd. 212nd will cross
> the West Valley Hwy (SR 181 or 68th Ave S), which is the STP route.
>
> The STP route is mostly flat (a big hill around Puyallup) and has very little traffic.

I'd clarify that the STP route has very little traffic on weekends when STP is running. West Valley
Highway is a busy commuter route during rush hours, and has quite a bit of truck traffic during
business hours.

Personally, I'd suggest taking Orillia down into the valley, heading east on 212th, continuing past
West Valley Highway, and turning south on the Interurban Trail. The Interurban will get you past the
busiest parts of West Valley, in Kent and Auburn. When the trail runs out in Pacific, you're a
couple of blocks away from getting back on West Valley.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tourbooks.html

Wouldn't it be better to go down the Interurban bike trail instead of West Valley? At least there
are only cars at the street intersections. Lots of bunnies along the trail though :)