Going the distance

DrunkenBiker

Jun 3, 2007
Hola,

I've been riding a good 6 months now and have built up to a 20-ish mile ride several times a week. Not bad, I figure, for a 43 year old fart riding a 40 pound mtn bike.

But that seems to be my limit on a non-stop ride. My longest ride was 25 miles and I was barely moving at the end of that ride and my stomach was grumbling. So, obviously, I need to re-supply my self to get any higher.

I've tried eating while riding. Damn near choked to death on a fig newton. :eek:

I've also tried stopping for a few minutes and munching down but then my legs get "cold" and I just want to head home and take a nap. :cool:

How do you guys handle all that nutrition stuff during a long ride ?

Not what to eat or such. But how far you go before stopping, how long you rest and how long it took to get to the point where you could eat/breathe on a bike and not turn blue.

Fig Newtons are best eaten off the bike where you have a water bottle close by. IMHO, anything dry like cookies or cakes should only be eaten off the bike. I usually like bananas or juicy fresh fruit. I can do 30 miles before needing to eat provided that I had a good pre-ride meal, i.e. spaghetti the evening before the ride with a lite pancake breakfast at least 2 hours prior to the ride. But then I have been riding for 40 years so I know what I need.

I stop not to rest but to look at something that has piqued my interest. I can easily ride 75 miles before I start to feel it as long as I am prepared. I have done a couple of centuries with no rest stops at all. A big part of riding distances is to pace yourself. Also, if you cannot ride and eat at the same time without turning blue, you are either pushing too hard when you go to eat, or you need to work on your aerobic conditioning a little more.

When you can, get yourself a lighter road bike. There is a big differnce between what you are riding now and something a little lighter. I'm not normally a weight weenie, but 40 lbs is way too much for a serious rider.

DrunkenBiker said:
Hola,

I've been riding a good 6 months now and have built up to a 20-ish mile ride several times a week. Not bad, I figure, for a 43 year old fart riding a 40 pound mtn bike.

Speak for yourself....I'm 43 and can do 60+, yes I've been riding longer, most of my life, and I skate at hockey level a couple of times a week, which really helps with endurance. Pacing yourself is the biggest thing. I don't need to eat, even on the long rides, just need water.

And OK, my road bike weighs 24lbs....which really helps. although I've done it many a time on my FS Mt bike at 32lbs.