General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Going to Bed with Full Stomach vs. Empty Stomach?

Started by Joe Williams · · Last activity · 5 posts · 151 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 April 2007
Last activity
16 April 2007
Original author
Joe Williams
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
151
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there any evidence that going to bed with a full stomach is better
    or worse for you than going to bed with an empty stomach? I'm asking
    about its effect on nutrition and overall health. I'm not asking about
    its effect on sleep, as I sleep like a rock regardless.

    It seems like a potentially good weight loss technique to simply go
    to bed hungry, since you won't notice the hunger when you're asleep
    and you'll burn fat for 6 or 8 hours. But I don't want to jeopardize my
    health in some other way by doing so. Sleep is supposed to be the
    time when your body rebuilds tissues, consolidates memories, and so
    on. Is food in your stomach important for this purpose?

    Is there any real data on this subject?

  2. (Joe Williams) said:

    Is there any evidence that going to bed with a full stomach is better
    or worse for you than going to bed with an empty stomach? I'm asking
    about its effect on nutrition and overall health. I'm not asking about
    its effect on sleep, as I sleep like a rock regardless.

    I like the recommendation is that one shouldn't eat 2-3 hours before
    bedtime to reduce the chance of acid reflux because of the horizontal
    position of the body. There might be a blood sugar effect that also
    needs to be considered.

    --
    Ron

  3. I had been taking acid supplements, and going to bed a couple of hours
    after eating a large meal. I often woke up feeling warm, even when it
    was rather cold, 2 to 3 hours later. When I stopped taking the
    supplements, this problem was gone. If you are overweight, you are
    likely eating a diet that is acting as an oxidizing agent. If so, you
    should limit unsaturated fatty acid and oxidized cholesterol intake to
    a minimum. Use coconut oil if you want a fat source for recipes;
    otherwise, just eat food that contains little unsaturated fat, such as
    whole dairy products (do not heat them up). What I found on this
    diet, which you can read about on my free web site (listed below), is
    that when I ate food that contained a lot of sugar, I gained a bit of
    weight. For example, when I was eating a lot of bananas, pineapple,
    dark chocolate, berries, and such, there was no weight gain, whereas
    when I ate some cookies that were rich in calories, but contained very
    little unsaturated fat, there was no weight gain and I remained slim.
    Note that people liked the way I looked when I weighed more, but in
    any case, while it may be safe to eat a cookie made with coconut oil
    as the fat source, if you put a lot of sugar in it, it will likely
    contribute to weight gain, so it's important to change your sense of
    taste by eating food that is not too calorically dense.

    http://groups.msn.com/TheScientificDebateForum-

  4. Corrections:

    1. when I say "acid supplements," I mean stomach acid

    2. "when I ate some cookies that were rich in calories, but contained
    very
    little unsaturated fat, there was no weight gain and I remained slim"
    should read "when I ate some cookies that were rich in calories, but
    contained very
    little unsaturated fat, there was weight gain"

    3. When I weighed more, I was still on the low end of "normal" for my
    height

  5. (Joe Williams) said:

    Is there any evidence that going to bed with a full stomach is better
    or worse for you than going to bed with an empty stomach? I'm asking
    about its effect on nutrition and overall health. I'm not asking about
    its effect on sleep, as I sleep like a rock regardless.

    It seems like a potentially good weight loss technique to simply go
    to bed hungry, since you won't notice the hunger when you're asleep
    and you'll burn fat for 6 or 8 hours. But I don't want to jeopardize my
    health in some other way by doing so. Sleep is supposed to be the
    time when your body rebuilds tissues, consolidates memories, and so
    on. Is food in your stomach important for this purpose?

    Is there any real data on this subject?

    If you are in good health and not prone to "acid reflux disease" ;-) ,
    eating before bed will not cause any problems.

    Hunger never leads to weight loss, on the contrary, it could lead to
    low blood sugars and throw your system off.

    Quoted message said:

    From bedtime til you wake is the longest period that you go without


    food. Normally, the time between meals is about 4 to 6 hours, max. So
    if you eat supper at 6 pm and do not eat again until the next morning,
    that amounts to at least 12 hours without food. This is not a good
    thing. And will not lead to weight loss or an improvement in health,
    no matter how you look at it.

    Eat an hour or so before bed. Eat something that will fill you up a
    bit without eating so much as to make you feel over full. A good
    satiating snack will contain healthy animal proteins and fats and
    little or no refined carbs.

    I suspect that there will not be any data to be found on this. But
    common sense and simply trying and seeing what works for you will be
    useful.

    Try what I suggest and you will find that you will sleep well, not be
    starving at any time, you will feel better, and it will not lead to
    weight gain unless you snack on refined carb heavy foods.

    TC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.