Going to do a rebuild... Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Boston_rider, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Boston_rider

Boston_rider New Member

Ok, first time posting so bear with me here.
    I've got a Gary Fisher mountain bike and since the beginning of the Summer I've put on about 2000 miles. I'm sure that's no fantastic feat for most of you.

Over the course of said 2000 miles, the bike is starting to show signs of wear, things are squeaking, and it's just looking caked up with grease dirt and all sorta of grime.

So I'm thinking about doing a tear down and rebuild.

What will I need to get this done?

I'm fairly new with bike maintenance thus I don't know what I'll need other than a working stand and spcial tools.

Thanks In Advance.

Tags:

2. woodchuck

woodchuck New Member

Instead of a rebuild, you may want to give the chain a good scrubbing with a chain scrubber then give it a good thorough washing. I have been riding and racing for 3 years on my current bike and have only replaced the odd part here and there. After the good cleaning, switch to a dry lube if you are not already using one.

It is good to give the bike a good washdown every 2-3 weeks (or sooner if muddy). Don't use a powerwasher just a hose and some mild dish detergent!! Also, wipe down the chain with a paper towel after each ride to reduce gunk on the chain. Perhaps you are already doing this.

If you are still looking at a rebuild, look for a toolset from one of the online bike shops (e.g. Parktool if you have the cash, Spindoctor if you don't). This will come in handy for the rebuild and for future maintenance. As for stands, any Park tool stand will be good (and necessary). The more you spend on the stand the more sturdy and convenient it is.