Going to do my first century in a couple days...any advice

dare-

Sep 18, 2011
So, I'm going to do my first century on Jan 1. It's not a rally or anything, just a few guys meeting up and riding a hundred miles. Any advice you guys have? Should I taper for this...do something different for nutrition? I'm 98 miles short of the Rapha 500 challenge. Thinking of riding 50 today, 60 saturday, and then 100 Sunday. Dumb...or okay if I ride easy? fitness wise: I've been only been riding seriously for about 6 months...although I've commuted by bike and ran for quite awhile. For the last 4 months, I've averaged about 130-140 miles a week, with a long 60 mile ride on Saturdays. I usually average about 150 watts (just got a powermeter) during this ride...which is not too hard for me, since we do a lot of talking on the ride (ie not running out of breath). We roll at 23-25 on the flats sometimes, and then i'm usually just barely holding on. I dont expect this ride to be any harder.

Originally Posted by dare- .

So, I'm going to do my first century on Jan 1. It's not a rally or anything, just a few guys meeting up and riding a hundred miles. Any advice you guys have?

Should I taper for this...do something different for nutrition? I'm 98 miles short of the Rapha 500 challenge. Thinking of riding 50 today, 60 saturday, and then 100 Sunday. Dumb...or okay if I ride easy?

fitness wise:
I've been only been riding seriously for about 6 months...although I've commuted by bike and ran for quite awhile. For the last 4 months, I've averaged about 130-140 miles a week, with a long 60 mile ride on Saturdays. I usually average about 150 watts (just got a powermeter) during this ride...which is not too hard for me, since we do a lot of talking on the ride (ie not running out of breath). We roll at 23-25 on the flats sometimes, and then i'm usually just barely holding on. I dont expect this ride to be any harder.
Virtually nothing is impossible, save for escaping across the event horizon from a black hole or not being sexually aroused by Maggie Thatcher. If you attempt what you mention, you're going to have to go at it with a much easier pace than that to which you are accustomed. You'll have nourish/feed yourself properly on the rides and especially in the time right after each ride. I wouldn't expect you to feel terribly spunky Sunday night. For more detailed and better advice, I'd suggest you pose your question in the Cycling Training sub-forum: http://www.cyclingforums.com/f/49/cycling-training