Going to Germany and Austria

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by hawesgb, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. hawesgb

    hawesgb Guest

    My daughter will be going to Austria for school next Sept. Mom and dad would like to visit in the
    spring. Any good recumbets to rent or buy there? I realy want a trike. Any good bike shops to go to
    in Salzburg?

    Can I get a lite trike there? Should I ship it back in peices and sat it's bicycle parts for lower
    customs tax?

    Any good bike tours around Salzburg?

    > My daughter will be going to Austria for school next Sept. Mom and dad would like to visit in the
    > spring. Any good recumbets to rent or buy there? I realy want a trike. Any good bike shops to go
    > to in Salzburg?
    >
    > Can I get a lite trike there? Should I ship it back in peices and sat it's bicycle parts for lower
    > customs tax?
    >
    > Any good bike tours around Salzburg?

    There are very few 'bent dealers in Austria. http://www.fahrradstudio.at/ in Baden is one of the
    few. Wolfgang Ambrosch is the owner. I understand that another LBS exists in Vienna.

    When I flew my RANS Stratus to Vienna, I looked into shipping it as freight ahead of me. At ~$750
    it seemed cost prohibitive. Bikes fly free on European airlines as part of the two allowed pieces
    of luggage.

    Here is a URL (there are many for Österreich[Austria]) Search on 'Radweg' 'Österreich' 'Salzburg'

    http://www.hikbik.com/deutsch/tauernradweg.html

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Salzburg and the nearby Salzkammergut (local lake district) are a couple of the most scenic places
    to visit it Europe. Hope that all of you enjoy it quite a bit.

    The last time that I was in the area, I had never even heard of a recumbent (liegerad). I have no
    specific info for you, sadly.

    I did a search for a recumbent trike (liegerad dreirad) and Salzburg and drew blanks. I did find a
    recumbent shop east of Munich that sold recumbent trikes, but only a couple brands: Hase, Antrotech
    and Thorax.

    http://www.traumvelo.de/

    I also found an Austrian bike touring map (radtourenkarte)

    http://www.radtouren.at/english/homepage...2.html

    The Germans (Deutsch) have a wealth of information on bike routes(radweg). Out of curiosity I
    ordered a guide on bike routes through Amazon.de. The name is "Radfernwege In Deutschland". It is by
    the German National Bike Club, ADFC. It requires enough German to strain my knowledge.

    A couple routes near Salzburg:

    Traun/Alz-Radwanderweg

    http://www.bayerninfo.de/radler/beschrei/rw_77.htm

    Various in the area: Inntal(Inn River), Donau (Danube River), Koenigsee

    http://www.fahrradwanderweg.de/karten.html

    If you go, don't miss the Salzkammergut. I figure an afternoon picnic on Halstatt Lake
    (Halstaettersee) is about as close to heaven as I will ever get.

    Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City

  4. <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > My daughter will be going to Austria for school next Sept. Mom and dad would like to visit in the
    > spring. Any good recumbets to rent or buy there? I realy want a trike. Any good bike shops to go
    > to in Salzburg?
    >
    > Can I get a lite trike there? Should I ship it back in peices and sat it's bicycle parts for lower
    > customs tax?

    http://www.yunord.net/~bikeplus/trikes/trikes.html

    He's in the former Yugoslavia but I'm not sure what part. Seem to recall him having an austrian
    dealer but can't find it. If you like the trikes you could try to mail him and ask.

    M.