Going uphill

David Waters

Guest
Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
(taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike takes
more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed for road
riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which could make a
difference i suppose. Does the riding position make much of a difference
or not really?

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:04:20 +0100, David Waters
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
>(taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
>hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike takes
>more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed for road
>riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which could make a
>difference i suppose.

Going uphill weight is hugely important.

>Does the riding position make much of a difference or not really?

The classic seated hill climbing position on a road bike is to sit
more upright with the hands on the tops of the bars.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

David Waters wrote:

> Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
> (taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
> hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike takes
> more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed for road
> riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which could make a
> difference i suppose. Does the riding position make much of a difference
> or not really?

Weight, and you can use your upper body more on an MTB because the bars
are wider. A light, unsuspended MTB with slicks climbs faster than
anything except a "hill climb" bike, which is a 15-16lb track bike with
a big sprocket.

Following on from David Waters's message. . .
>Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
>(taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
>hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike takes
>more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed for road
>riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which could make a
>difference i suppose. Does the riding position make much of a difference
>or not really?

Just a thought. You'll have got used to certain gear combinations and
the 'comfey' (to suit according to conditions) one where you can get
settled-in for maximum thrust at sustained output is not going to be as
easy to get right on your new bike. Possibly there is a need, but
psychological resistance, to drop down a ring due to larger wheels.

[I speak as somebody who does far fewer miles than you at a time and
would sell my bike if it involved having to cycle up the Pennines.
Hills - Just say No!]

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected]

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> David Waters wrote:
>
>> Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
>> (taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
>> hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike
>> takes more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed
>> for road riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which
>> could make a difference i suppose. Does the riding position make much
>> of a difference or not really?

> Weight, and you can use your upper body more on an MTB because the bars
> are wider. A light, unsuspended MTB with slicks climbs faster than
> anything except a "hill climb" bike, which is a 15-16lb track bike with
> a big sprocket.

ahhh that must be why my mtb eats hills then! It has nice slicks on it!

> > Weight, and you can use your upper body more on an MTB because the bars
> > are wider. A light, unsuspended MTB with slicks climbs faster than
> > anything except a "hill climb" bike, which is a 15-16lb track bike with
> > a big sprocket.

> ahhh that must be why my mtb eats hills then! It has nice slicks on it!

You might also find that you have different gear ratios at your disposal on
the two bikes. I'd anticipate that the MTB will have lower gears than the
Galaxy.

"vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > Weight, and you can use your upper body more on an MTB because the

bars
> > > are wider. A light, unsuspended MTB with slicks climbs faster than
> > > anything except a "hill climb" bike, which is a 15-16lb track bike

with
> > > a big sprocket.

> > ahhh that must be why my mtb eats hills then! It has nice slicks on it!

> You might also find that you have different gear ratios at your disposal

on
> the two bikes. I'd anticipate that the MTB will have lower gears than the
> Galaxy.

Not that will make a difference on road - Galaxy has 26x32, which is really
quite low. (I'd only want lower on road for loaded touring or for a tandem)

cheers,
clive

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said
> Doing my usual 50mile weekend ride, from Manchester to Buxton and bike
> (taking in the hills of course ;)) I noticed that the Galaxy goes up
> hills a lot more sluggishly than my mtb. Why is that a £1000 bike
> takes more out of me than a £200 bike? Surely the Glaxy is designed
> for road riding and should go up better? The mtb is lighter which
> could make a difference i suppose. Does the riding position make much
> of a difference or not really?

All the other reasons/responses plus the frame geometry MAY
be more suitable for riding uphills on your ATB.
Just my thoughts no proof whatsoever.

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \