Gold Coast Cyclist Killed hit & run

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Terry Newland, May 2, 2006.

  1. A 20 year old driver surrended to Police after the death of a 54 year old
    cyclist.
    The driver must have been scooting along going by the damage.
    Poor guy, I think they said his father was also killed by a car riding his
    bike , double whammy.

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Where did you hear/see this, Terry?

    Donga

  3. Wow it was big news on every station, and newspapers.
    Happened at Reedy Creek near the gold coast.
    Driver came forward after 2 days.
    When Police arrived the poor cyclist was still conscious.
    What a bastard, the least he could have done was call an ambo, and the guy
    might still be alive, anyway this guy will probably get the standard slap on
    the wrist.
    "Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Where did you hear/see this, Terry?
    >
    > Donga

  4. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004

    Wednesday 2000h
    Just heard on ABC Radio that Police have interviewed a 20 year old Reedy Creek male and he will appear at Southport Court in late August.
    Nothing on ABC web site yet.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  5. Skewer

    Skewer Guest

    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19014895-1702,00.html

    This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
    Man to face court over hit-and-run
    May 03, 2006
    A 20-year-old man will appear in court over the death of a cyclist killed in a hit-and-run accident on the Gold Coast.

    Allan Keith Scott, 55, was killed as he rode his bicycle in Bermuda Street at suburban Reedy Creek on Sunday.

    A man from Reedy Creek, accompanied by his solicitor, handed himself in to police yesterday.

    Late today he was issued with a Notice to Appear for dangerous driving causing death, fail to remain at the scene of an accident and callous disregard.

    The man will appear in Southport Magistrates' Court on August 30.

    In a statement, Mr Scott's family said "this has been an extremely painful and terrible time for our whole family".

    "We would like to express our relief that a member of the public has come forward to assist police with their investigation into the death of `Scotty'," the statement read.

    "On Sunday April 30 we lost our `Scotty' and our lives were changed forever."

    A vehicle involved in the incident has been seized for scientific examination.

    Promising young triathlete Luke Harrop, 24, the brother of Goodwill Games triathlon champion and Olympian Loretta Harrop, was also killed in a hit-and-run accident while cycling on the same road in January 2002.

    Man interviewed over hit-and-run

    May 03, 2006

    A 20-year-old Gold Coast man was again being interviewed by police today in connection with a fatal hit-and-run accident on the Gold Coast.

    Police said the man, accompanied by his solicitor, handed himself in to police yesterday, was questioned and released but was due to attend more questioning today.

    No charges have been laid.

    Cyclist Allan Keith Scott, 55, was killed as he rode his bicycle in Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek on the Gold coast on Sunday.

    A vehicle involved in the incident has been seized for scientific examination.

  6. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Skewer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19014895-1702,00.html
    >
    > This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
    > Man to face court over hit-and-run

    The the fsck is it with all the hit-and-run incidents lately? What is
    wrong with people!? The penalty for hit-and-run should be life. Simple
    as that, whether you were at fault or not, if you don't stop we lock you
    up and throw away the key..

  7. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    But what if you were running really late for something super legitimate like going to the pub for a beer with mates?? Or better yet rushing home for dinner after beer at the pub with mates?

    Mabye the person could be given concrete shoes and then stood on the side of the road and run over legally by anyone who feels like it. I imagine entire familys would pool money for a Landbruiser of some description. Or maby channel 7 could have an appeal to buy the family a landcruiser to run over the scumbag.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Maybe Dinsdale might be up for the job?
    http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/piranha.htm

  9. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Terry Newland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A 20 year old driver surrended to Police after the death of a 54 year old
    >cyclist.
    > The driver must have been scooting along going by the damage.
    > Poor guy, I think they said his father was also killed by a car riding his
    > bike , double whammy.

    This might be just stating the obvious, that one of the major reasons that
    people commit Hit & Runs is that firstly they were accidents to begin with
    but got a whole lot bigger.

    Maybe they lost concentration by doing something stupid like using/searching
    for a mobile phone or they were driving under the influence of alcahol or
    something else.

    Now, assumming this might've been the case here, of course a person's
    ability to think straight, rationaly if he has a skinfull and is quite dull
    or mixed up to say the least, he imagines that possibly it's best to piss
    off as if the cops got him with DUI as well, it could make situations for
    him worse, but alas, he must've had a concience later on. Also it's quite
    possible that he could've been a disqualified driver, and again as far as
    he's concerned, could be bad news, no time to think of the poor person he's
    just left dying. It's all ME ME ME syndrome!!

    A Hit & run should have a mandatory sentence of 15-20 years, no question,
    but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder" I say, what's
    the difference?

    To the people who died as a result of these callouse few, RIP !!

    DJ

  10. DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder"

    I think the minimum non-parole period for a prisoner with a life
    sentence in Qld is still 13 years and that a conviction for murder
    carries a mandatory life sentence That means even if you are released on
    parole you are still required to report your activities and location on
    a regular basis and commit no further offences.

    The old saying seems a little inaccurate. Maybe you are thinking of the
    seven years bad luck that follows the killing of a leprachaun?

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  11. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1heuyio.1pfkrshkofsgaN%[email protected]
    > DJ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder"

    > I think the minimum non-parole period for a prisoner with a life
    > sentence in Qld is still 13 years and that a conviction for murder
    > carries a mandatory life sentence That means even if you are released on
    > parole you are still required to report your activities and location on
    > a regular basis and commit no further offences.
    >
    > The old saying seems a little inaccurate. Maybe you are thinking of the
    > seven years bad luck that follows the killing of a leprachaun?

    > Peter McCallum
    > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    Pete, it may seem that this so called mandatory life sentencing is 13 years
    but after all deals are done and hard luck stories told etc etc; by the time
    it gets to the magistrate, then it often gets somewhat diluted depending on
    how the magistrate is feeling on the day, so yeah unless it's a multiple
    murder, or been diluted to a Manslaughter charge, then 7 years is still
    quite valid.

    Unfortunately here we are talking about a different kind of
    murder/manslaughter where rather than use a gun or knife (illegal weapons)
    people use motorcars (legal weapons) and therefore it'll always be seen as
    an accidental death and untill the courts and governments change this,
    justice will never be done.

    DJ

  12. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    some just never get the message...this driver is stated to have lost a family member killed whilst riding a bike...

    speculation, but probably an "" oh my god not me...run like hell" or "on something", no matter there is no excuse for leaving an accident when an obvious injury has occurred and not rendering assistance...

    mandatory incarceration and truth in sentencing...

    Allan Scott will not be forgotten... I will ask the family, in due course, but I hope they agree to adding his name to the ROS "in memorium" list . Sadly it is growing bigger every day.

    http://www.rideofsilence.org/memoriam.php

  13. DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pete, it may seem that this so called mandatory life sentencing is 13 years
    > but after all deals are done and hard luck stories told etc etc; by the time
    > it gets to the magistrate, then it often gets somewhat diluted depending on
    > how the magistrate is feeling on the day, so yeah unless it's a multiple
    > murder, or been diluted to a Manslaughter charge, then 7 years is still
    > quite valid.

    I don't think a magistrate would be making decisions in relation to a
    trial for murder. That would be a judge's job wouldn't it? As I said,
    the minimum period you will spend in gaol in Qld is 13 years if you are
    given a life sentence. No arguments about your lack of toys as a child
    or your good behaviour subsequently will reduce that. If you are
    convicted of murder, then the sentence is life.

    I agree however that driving a motor vehicle the way a lot of people do
    can easily cause death. I've been lucky not to be a victim a few times
    and not just on my bike. I suppose we need to be able to teach people
    somehow to be more patient, courteous and respectful of their fellow
    human beings.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA