Gold Coast Cyclist Killed hit & run

Terry Newland

Guest
A 20 year old driver surrended to Police after the death of a 54 year old
cyclist.
The driver must have been scooting along going by the damage.
Poor guy, I think they said his father was also killed by a car riding his
bike , double whammy.

Wow it was big news on every station, and newspapers.
Happened at Reedy Creek near the gold coast.
Driver came forward after 2 days.
When Police arrived the poor cyclist was still conscious.
What a *******, the least he could have done was call an ambo, and the guy
might still be alive, anyway this guy will probably get the standard slap on
the wrist.
news:[email protected]...

Terry Newland said:
Wow it was big news on every station, and newspapers.
Happened at Reedy Creek near the gold coast.
Driver came forward after 2 days.
When Police arrived the poor cyclist was still conscious.
What a *******, the least he could have done was call an ambo, and the guy
might still be alive, anyway this guy will probably get the standard slap on
the wrist.
"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Wednesday 2000h
Just heard on ABC Radio that Police have interviewed a 20 year old Reedy Creek male and he will appear at Southport Court in late August.
Nothing on ABC web site yet.

Cheers
Hugh

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19014895-1702,00.html

This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
Man to face court over hit-and-run
May 03, 2006
A 20-year-old man will appear in court over the death of a cyclist killed in a hit-and-run accident on the Gold Coast.

Allan Keith Scott, 55, was killed as he rode his bicycle in Bermuda Street at suburban Reedy Creek on Sunday.

A man from Reedy Creek, accompanied by his solicitor, handed himself in to police yesterday.

Late today he was issued with a Notice to Appear for dangerous driving causing death, fail to remain at the scene of an accident and callous disregard.

The man will appear in Southport Magistrates' Court on August 30.

In a statement, Mr Scott's family said "this has been an extremely painful and terrible time for our whole family".

"We would like to express our relief that a member of the public has come forward to assist police with their investigation into the death of `Scotty'," the statement read.

"On Sunday April 30 we lost our `Scotty' and our lives were changed forever."

A vehicle involved in the incident has been seized for scientific examination.

Promising young triathlete Luke Harrop, 24, the brother of Goodwill Games triathlon champion and Olympian Loretta Harrop, was also killed in a hit-and-run accident while cycling on the same road in January 2002.

Man interviewed over hit-and-run

May 03, 2006

A 20-year-old Gold Coast man was again being interviewed by police today in connection with a fatal hit-and-run accident on the Gold Coast.

Police said the man, accompanied by his solicitor, handed himself in to police yesterday, was questioned and released but was due to attend more questioning today.

No charges have been laid.

Cyclist Allan Keith Scott, 55, was killed as he rode his bicycle in Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek on the Gold coast on Sunday.

dtmeister said:
Skewer <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19014895-1702,00.html
>
> This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
> Man to face court over hit-and-run

The the fsck is it with all the hit-and-run incidents lately? What is
wrong with people!? The penalty for hit-and-run should be life. Simple
as that, whether you were at fault or not, if you don't stop we lock you
up and throw away the key..
But what if you were running really late for something super legitimate like going to the pub for a beer with mates?? Or better yet rushing home for dinner after beer at the pub with mates?

Mabye the person could be given concrete shoes and then stood on the side of the road and run over legally by anyone who feels like it. I imagine entire familys would pool money for a Landbruiser of some description. Or maby channel 7 could have an appeal to buy the family a landcruiser to run over the scumbag.

Paulie-AU said:
Mabye the person could be given concrete shoes and then stood on the side of the road and run over legally by anyone who feels like it. I imagine entire familys would pool money for a Landbruiser of some description. Or maby channel 7 could have an appeal to buy the family a landcruiser to run over the scumbag.

Maybe Dinsdale might be up for the job?
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/piranha.htm

"Terry Newland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A 20 year old driver surrended to Police after the death of a 54 year old
>cyclist.
> The driver must have been scooting along going by the damage.
> Poor guy, I think they said his father was also killed by a car riding his
> bike , double whammy.

This might be just stating the obvious, that one of the major reasons that
people commit Hit & Runs is that firstly they were accidents to begin with
but got a whole lot bigger.

Maybe they lost concentration by doing something stupid like using/searching
for a mobile phone or they were driving under the influence of alcahol or
something else.

Now, assumming this might've been the case here, of course a person's
ability to think straight, rationaly if he has a skinfull and is quite dull
or mixed up to say the least, he imagines that possibly it's best to ****
off as if the cops got him with DUI as well, it could make situations for
him worse, but alas, he must've had a concience later on. Also it's quite
possible that he could've been a disqualified driver, and again as far as
he's concerned, could be bad news, no time to think of the poor person he's
just left dying. It's all ME ME ME syndrome!!

A Hit & run should have a mandatory sentence of 15-20 years, no question,
but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder" I say, what's
the difference?

To the people who died as a result of these callouse few, RIP !!

DJ

DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

> but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder"

I think the minimum non-parole period for a prisoner with a life
sentence in Qld is still 13 years and that a conviction for murder
carries a mandatory life sentence That means even if you are released on
parole you are still required to report your activities and location on
a regular basis and commit no further offences.

The old saying seems a little inaccurate. Maybe you are thinking of the
seven years bad luck that follows the killing of a leprachaun?

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

"Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1heuyio.1pfkrshkofsgaN%[email protected]...
> DJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder"

> I think the minimum non-parole period for a prisoner with a life
> sentence in Qld is still 13 years and that a conviction for murder
> carries a mandatory life sentence That means even if you are released on
> parole you are still required to report your activities and location on
> a regular basis and commit no further offences.
>
> The old saying seems a little inaccurate. Maybe you are thinking of the
> seven years bad luck that follows the killing of a leprachaun?

> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Pete, it may seem that this so called mandatory life sentencing is 13 years
but after all deals are done and hard luck stories told etc etc; by the time
it gets to the magistrate, then it often gets somewhat diluted depending on
how the magistrate is feeling on the day, so yeah unless it's a multiple
murder, or been diluted to a Manslaughter charge, then 7 years is still
quite valid.

Unfortunately here we are talking about a different kind of
murder/manslaughter where rather than use a gun or knife (illegal weapons)
people use motorcars (legal weapons) and therefore it'll always be seen as
an accidental death and untill the courts and governments change this,
justice will never be done.

DJ

DJ said:
"Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1heuyio.1pfkrshkofsgaN%[email protected]...
> DJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> but as the old saying goes "you only get 7 years for murder"

> I think the minimum non-parole period for a prisoner with a life
> sentence in Qld is still 13 years and that a conviction for murder
> carries a mandatory life sentence That means even if you are released on
> parole you are still required to report your activities and location on
> a regular basis and commit no further offences.
>
> The old saying seems a little inaccurate. Maybe you are thinking of the
> seven years bad luck that follows the killing of a leprachaun?

> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Pete, it may seem that this so called mandatory life sentencing is 13 years
but after all deals are done and hard luck stories told etc etc; by the time
it gets to the magistrate, then it often gets somewhat diluted depending on
how the magistrate is feeling on the day, so yeah unless it's a multiple
murder, or been diluted to a Manslaughter charge, then 7 years is still
quite valid.

Unfortunately here we are talking about a different kind of
murder/manslaughter where rather than use a gun or knife (illegal weapons)
people use motorcars (legal weapons) and therefore it'll always be seen as
an accidental death and untill the courts and governments change this,
justice will never be done.

DJ
some just never get the message...this driver is stated to have lost a family member killed whilst riding a bike...

speculation, but probably an "" oh my god not me...run like hell" or "on something", no matter there is no excuse for leaving an accident when an obvious injury has occurred and not rendering assistance...

mandatory incarceration and truth in sentencing...

Allan Scott will not be forgotten... I will ask the family, in due course, but I hope they agree to adding his name to the ROS "in memorium" list . Sadly it is growing bigger every day.

http://www.rideofsilence.org/memoriam.php

DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pete, it may seem that this so called mandatory life sentencing is 13 years
> but after all deals are done and hard luck stories told etc etc; by the time
> it gets to the magistrate, then it often gets somewhat diluted depending on
> how the magistrate is feeling on the day, so yeah unless it's a multiple
> murder, or been diluted to a Manslaughter charge, then 7 years is still
> quite valid.

I don't think a magistrate would be making decisions in relation to a
trial for murder. That would be a judge's job wouldn't it? As I said,
the minimum period you will spend in gaol in Qld is 13 years if you are
given a life sentence. No arguments about your lack of toys as a child
or your good behaviour subsequently will reduce that. If you are
convicted of murder, then the sentence is life.

I agree however that driving a motor vehicle the way a lot of people do
can easily cause death. I've been lucky not to be a victim a few times
and not just on my bike. I suppose we need to be able to teach people
somehow to be more patient, courteous and respectful of their fellow
human beings.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA