Gold Coast needs to promote cycling!!

steverose76

Sep 24, 2007
Hi fellow cyclists! I’m Steve from the Gold Coast, Queensland and cycle to Griffith University everyday from Nobby Beach. It had occurred to me the other day that the Gold Coast doesn’t proactively promote cycling as a form of transportation. This is very hard to believe as the views are fantastic!

I do know that the National Bike to Work Day is round the corner, but is it really enough?

What about more signs, more cycle paths and even a safety guide for visitors?

Then even better, why doesn’t a company such as Google devise a Google Cycle Map, offering safe ways to arrive to a destination, avoiding highways and displaying the points of interest?

What about more comprehensive safety strategies offered in driving test?

What about a safety manual offered when purchasing a bike?

Who thinks we need more local ride to work day events to promote this fantastic method of transportation?

Anyway, happy days to all you avid cyclist!

Peace Out…

try http://www.bikely.com/

You can map out rides here and indicate points of interest. You might even find heaps of rides already mapped out for the Gold Coast area.

I find the same crappy attitude to promoting cycling in Sydney. In Sydney the attitude seems to be universaly accepted that you own a car and everyone else is to get out of your way.

In Sydney there are whole districts where you would have to be either mad or stupid to even contemplate riding a bicycle on the road.

Government contempt for cyclists and cycling in general seems to be heavily entrenched.

Man I feel your pain. I truly do

steverose76 said:
Hi fellow cyclists! I’m Steve from the Gold Coast, Queensland and cycle to Griffith University everyday from Nobby Beach. It had occurred to me the other day that the Gold Coast doesn’t proactively promote cycling as a form of transportation. This is very hard to believe as the views are fantastic!

I do know that the National Bike to Work Day is round the corner, but is it really enough?

What about more signs, more cycle paths and even a safety guide for visitors?

Then even better, why doesn’t a company such as Google devise a Google Cycle Map, offering safe ways to arrive to a destination, avoiding highways and displaying the points of interest?

What about more comprehensive safety strategies offered in driving test?

What about a safety manual offered when purchasing a bike?

Who thinks we need more local ride to work day events to promote this fantastic method of transportation?

Anyway, happy days to all you avid cyclist!

Peace Out…
hey Steve, I understand your dilemna however all is not lost. it just may take a bit of work.

GCC has some material on this here and for clubs here , and there is this.

Griffith U has an excellent plan for cycling between and to its Brisbane campuses, so check with the Office of Facilities Management if they have anything current or plan anything for the GC Campus.

If you seek specific improvements and facilities for access up to GriffithU main GC campus then consider a lobby stream and form a Bicycle User group (BUG) , even form Bike Buses to do the commute, its may be a lot safer than lone riders until the roads are better, plus consider the following strategy.

Griffith has a pretty big student & faculty biking group, why don't you marshall them into a BUG and lobby GCC and the GriffithU Faculty to come up with a plan to improve access and facilities around the coast for Students and Utility and recreational Bicyclists.

Griffith U has a fine Engineering School that turns out traffic engineers every year. Talk to them (Faculty and Ugrads) and see if they and the Alumni working on the GC and consulting to GCC couldnt have input into your local situation.
Local initiatives bring big results. The GCC just needs some suggestions, and GriffithU is well placed to do it, so think about it and deliver them some suggestions supported by reasoned material and persuasive , persistent voices. ( get the Ugrad lawyers to help or the debaters, give them an excercise, they probably ride bikes too)
Cycling safety Advocacy group Wheels of Justice is always keen to hear of local initiatives and supports with suggestions and material where it can. Consider keeping WoJ posted on how you are proceeding, there is a lot of material to assist in many areas on the WoJ site, and perhaps the wide WoJ network in Qld ( and these forums) can counsel and or work with you on improving the state of Gold Coast Cycling.

Good Luck ...R ( I have a son who is a Griffith Graduate so happy to help out where I can, He is a Traffic Engineer too, but in London these days)

PS: Oh and don't forget it's Riding home from Work Day on the 17th too

steverose76 said:
I have begun a publication on this particular subject

!!!!!!Cick Me!!!!!!

What do you think?

Also i have begun some research towards the Google Cycle Map idea and have contacted there ideas/concepts department with this.

!!!!!!!!!This is the link to the Google Cycle Map idea!!!!!!!!!

I'm just waiting to here back from them.

Cheers, Steve
always good to ensure you have a variety of positive spin items too!, helps amplify the benefits you are aiming to project.

when the site has more content across your aims, maybe a news-leaflet in the bike shops and at the hostels and colleges plus posts on the forums up that way will spread your message, and talk to some reporters at the Gold Coast newspapers (GC Bulletin, Daily News etc), they like community benefit items and even though the media is often negative and lycra bashing, it could serve your site well with some local interest and reaching your target audience quicker.

plus, when you are happy with the site, we could consider a link on WoJ too, but ensure your content is up to date, informative, relevant and your links work. Cheers R

A link on your site would be awesome!

I will keep you posted with the progress and thanks heaps for the advice, it really helps.

Kind regards

Steve Rose

BTW have you had a look at Bicycle Gold Coast?

From their site:

Bicycle Gold Coast is an alliance of over two thousand people who ride bicycles and other forms of non-motorised transport. Collectively, we want to encourage more people to ride bikes for a whole bunch of reasons. Here are some of them:

* Cycling is a wealth-building activity. People who cycle retain a greater disposable income than those who waste it on cars and unnecessary fuel costs.
* Cycling makes you healthier, reduces obesity and reduces stress as well.
* Cycling minimises road congestion by reducing the number of cars on the road. Don't like traffic jams? Kiss them goodbye!
* Cycling doesn't produce any greenhouse gas emissions. It's a clean and sustainable form of transport and great for our environment! If you're not the type of person who throws litter around, then don't be the sort of person who pollutes the air we breathe either!