Gold Coast road bike hire

Spider1977

New Member
Jul 19, 2003
I'm off to the Gold Coast for 10 days in September. Don't really want the hassle of taking my bike along with all the other luggage for the family. Anyone know of anywhere I can hire (or borrow) a reasonable road bike from?

Spider1977 wrote:

> I'm off to the Gold Coast for 10 days in September. Don't really want
> the hassle of taking my bike along with all the other luggage for the
> family. Anyone know of anywhere I can hire (or borrow) a reasonable
> road bike from?

These guys might be able to tell you.

http://www.g-c-t.com

(Gold Coast Triathlete)

"Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Spider1977 wrote:
>

> > I'm off to the Gold Coast for 10 days in September. Don't really want
> > the hassle of taking my bike along with all the other luggage for the
> > family. Anyone know of anywhere I can hire (or borrow) a reasonable
> > road bike from?
> >

> These guys might be able to tell you.
>
> http://www.g-c-t.com
>
> (Gold Coast Triathlete)

What's riding like in GC? Is it an easy outing or a tough ride? -
especially near the coast itself, not in the hills.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Alan Erskine wrote:

<bit of a snip snip>

> What's riding like in GC? Is it an easy outing or a tough ride? -
> especially near the coast itself, not in the hills.

Mostly flat. I prefer the southern part of the coast myself. However

North of Southport, Paradise Point etc - This part of the GC Hwy is
single lane and there's not heaps of room.

Surfers Paradise - Fine if you don't mind going about 5 km/h

Broadbeach - Burleigh Heads - You can pretty much stick to the beach or
one block back, there's roads that go thru and a big bike lane for a
long way, it's not too bad. You go back from the beach a bit at Miami,
have to duck out onto the Hwy but there's heaps of room. If you prefer,
this stretch of the highway has a bus lane and huge shoulder, however
the bus drivers were pretty scary when I was down there in July. At
Burleigh you have to go onto the hwy again and there's a bridge crossing
over Tally creek.

Tallebudgera-Currumbin - After the bridge you pretty much stay on the
highway or go further back from the coast into some of the streets that
go straight through. There tend to be a lot of parked cars but I didn't
have any problems with impatient drivers or anything. Cross Currumbin
creek on the main bridge or the back bridge.

After that go back to the coastal roads (or head inland to Currumbin
valley, it's pretty flat, there's cycle lanes/paths for a lot of it)
Along the coast there's a hill at coming into tugun, then you can take
Golden Four Drive (dead flat) until you can get back onto the esplanade
near Bilinga Surf Club. Then it's follow the main road around kirra,
Coolangatta.

You have to go back onto the pacific hwy around the Tweed, but there's
bike lanes for most of it and the bus drivers were well behaved. Must be
a NSW thing. Anyway you can just follow it south, go over the next
bridge, up the hill at ... a place that starts with B... banora point?
After this, take the next exit onto Tweed Coast Way and you can head
north to Fingal head (very pretty, but I didn't ride this way, I drove)
or Kingscliff. The road is rough for a couple of km but then smooths
out. I rode down to Casuarina beach but the development there is really
ugly so I came back along the Pacific Mwy where it's actually kind of
green and pretty, a decent road shoulder for most of it, two lanes up
the hills and mostly flat.

I love riding down the coast, even when there's a headwind!

Tam, surfie gal at heart

Thanks for the info. As I suspected it looks like I'll just have to take my own beast with me. But it was worth a try.