Gold Coast Road Rides?

Stanners77

Aug 3, 2004
Hi all,

I'm a Melbourne roadie, moving up north to study at Bond Uni in Jan '07.

Since I can't take my beloved Beach Rd with me, I need to get the low down on the popular routes and bunch rides on the Gold Coast.

Anyone with any info please respond!

(I'll probably be living close to the Uni, so in the Robina/Burleigh area)

Cheers,

Stanners

You can ride along the beach roads from Surfers to Tweed, and also north of Surfers to paradise Pt with only a short stretch on the gold coast highway. Did this while on hols in QLD. It is a very pleasant ride and similar to beach rd (flat though). Cant tell you about the bunch groups, but the sports& rec at uni should help.

Stanners77 said:
Hi all,

I'm a Melbourne roadie, moving up north to study at Bond Uni in Jan '07.

Since I can't take my beloved Beach Rd with me, I need to get the low down on the popular routes and bunch rides on the Gold Coast.

Anyone with any info please respond!

(I'll probably be living close to the Uni, so in the Robina/Burleigh area)

Cheers,

Stanners
Hi Stanners,

The ride scene up here is pretty good although the group rides are not as big as Melbourne, or so I'm told.

We've got some great rides. The crazies is probably the most popular if you like speed. 1:15min leaves from Mermaid waters Ambulance station at 5:45am Monday Wednesday & Friday. Warm-up down to burleigh heads then is pretty much flat stick up to the spit along the esplanard and back to burleigh. Ave speed on a fast day is 45km/h most days are around 42km/h. The pack usually splits into two groups and the second pack is a more reasonalble pace.

There are some really good hill rides up here too. Springbrook 21km of climbing, Binna Burra, about 18km of climbing, Tomiwin/Hogan's.

Perhaps you best bet is to go to www.bikely.com and search "Gold Coast / Queensland / Australia" there are a few popular rides on there already and the list is growing.

Fraggle said:
Hi Stanners,

The ride scene up here is pretty good although the group rides are not as big as Melbourne, or so I'm told.

We've got some great rides. The crazies is probably the most popular if you like speed. 1:15min leaves from Mermaid waters Ambulance station at 5:45am Monday Wednesday & Friday. Warm-up down to burleigh heads then is pretty much flat stick up to the spit along the esplanard and back to burleigh. Ave speed on a fast day is 45km/h most days are around 42km/h. The pack usually splits into two groups and the second pack is a more reasonalble pace.

There are some really good hill rides up here too. Springbrook 21km of climbing, Binna Burra, about 18km of climbing, Tomiwin/Hogan's.

Perhaps you best bet is to go to www.bikely.com and search "Gold Coast / Queensland / Australia" there are a few popular rides on there already and the list is growing.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I sincerely hope Fraggle is exaggerating the part about a 45km/h average! Do you really mean that you check your speedo after the ride and it will say the average for the total ride is 45km/h or is that just the pace it 'gets to' in the latter part of the ride???

I ride with a group of 8-10 guys on Mon, Wed, Fri and we average 35-36 km/h for a 1 hour ride (some solid stretches at 48-50 km/h this morning)!

Thanks for the heads up on the hillier rides too, am definitely looking forward to that - Melb is sooo flat and getting out to the Dandenongs or Mt Donna Buang is a real pain since I live in St Kilda, so I never bother!

Also, what is the relationship like with motorists in the area? Things have been pretty ordinary down here since that elderly pedestrian was killed a few months back by a rider in the Hell Ride...

Cheers,

Stanners

Yes the crazy bunch averages 42-45kph. Normally sit on above 50kph.
Fastest bunch ride in Australia period!

Stonzy said:
Yes the crazy bunch averages 42-45kph. Normally sit on above 50kph.
Fastest bunch ride in Australia period!

Fcuk off you fcuking toolbox. "Fastest ride in Australia period" you waynekerr.

We averaged 47.2km/h last week and were punching it hard sitting on 58-60km/h as the attacks went down.

Melbourne is so fast. Not just 10. We go to 11.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY]YouTube - Spinal Tap - 11[/ame]

You fcuk head. Come down and play with the big boys...

VadarStrikesBack said:
Fcuk off you fcuking toolbox. "Fastest ride in Australia period" you waynekerr.

We averaged 47.2km/h last week and were punching it hard sitting on 58-60km/h as the attacks went down.

Melbourne is so fast. Not just 10. We go to 11.

YouTube - Spinal Tap - 11

You fcuk head. Come down and play with the big boys...

When I first read this, I thought... you cockhead.

But to be honest, Melbourne is real quick. Even North Road ride smashes it above 55 kph hour when it lights up.