Gold Rush Body Sock

David

Guest
I just ordered a new body sock for my Gold Rush and was wondering if any
of you experienced body sockers had any words of advice about how to get
the most out of it. I was also wondering how much protection from the
rain, sun & wind it offers.
Thanks!

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just ordered a new body sock for my Gold Rush and was wondering if any
> of you experienced body sockers had any words of advice about how to get
> the most out of it. I was also wondering how much protection from the
> rain, sun & wind it offers.
> Thanks!

The ERRC newsletters have had 20+ articles on fairings and socks over
the past couple years. I'd recommend picking up a couple of the back
issues:
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/index2.html
(newsletter index)
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/errcindex.xls

Lots of protection from the blazing Oregon sun!
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/springride2004/index.htm

Jeff

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just ordered a new body sock for my Gold Rush and was wondering if any
> of you experienced body sockers had any words of advice about how to get
> the most out of it. I was also wondering how much protection from the
> rain, sun & wind it offers.
> Thanks!

My wife has a bodysock on her Gold Rush. The sock makes here
incredibly fast under the right conditions. On the flats or on a
slight downgrade (minimal) with no headwind she can cruise easily,
without pushing hard, between 25 and 30 mph. The sock isn't difficult
to ride in moderate crosswinds. And it really flies downhill. The
negatives are that it is hot (midwest summers are hot anyway but it
certainly cuts down on the breeze), unless you do a modification for
the mirror you will need a helmut mirror, you get asked a lot of
questions which she feels she needs to answer, and it is killing me
trying to keep pace. All in all she likes it but will probably use
her tailsock when the weather heats up.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.

< http://www.bikeroute.com/FreeFormFashions/>.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Hot? Must be a function of the humidity in your area. My best rides
with the skin on my TE are across the deserts of Idaho and eastern
Oregon where the primary function is sun protection. Fluid dynamics,
Bernoulli and all of that, provide plenty of ventilation while the
bike is moving. Heat rising off pavement can get stuffy when I'm
stopped.

It is very easy to be enthusastic about one's body skin. It is a very
cool upgrade. After a few thousand miles, it's no big deal. You learn
how to stow it and deploy it without thinking about it much, you learn
when it's probably a waste of time, you learn how to climb in and out.
What drives me nuts about the rig is the rear standoff pylon that
requires the rear rack. I'm trying to figure out a better system.

There are two interesting mods I've seen recentlythat you might
consider:
1. Mesh top panel, adds ventilation and an easy view of your
dashboard.
2. Side slits, allow you to extend an arm for legal turn signals.

If you're thinking of adding a fairing to your ER bike, (a fairing is
the first major upgrade everyone should make) I strongly urge you to
consider investing in the heavy duty model so you can add a body skin
later without having to buy another fairing. (Although we've been told
by Wo that the regular fairing can be rigged to support the tension of
the body skin.)

david boise ID

[email protected] (mike s) wrote in message news:

> My wife has a bodysock on her Gold Rush. The sock makes here
> incredibly fast under the right conditions. On the flats or on a
> slight downgrade (minimal) with no headwind she can cruise easily,
> without pushing hard, between 25 and 30 mph. The sock isn't difficult
> to ride in moderate crosswinds. And it really flies downhill. The
> negatives are that it is hot (midwest summers are hot anyway but it
> certainly cuts down on the breeze), unless you do a modification for
> the mirror you will need a helmut mirror, you get asked a lot of
> questions which she feels she needs to answer, and it is killing me
> trying to keep pace. All in all she likes it but will probably use
> her tailsock when the weather heats up.
>
> Mike S.
> St. Louis, Mo.

what is the source for body socks for a grr?

--
..
Arne, USA (member of the human tribe)
"David Bogie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hot? Must be a function of the humidity in your area. My best rides
> with the skin on my TE are across the deserts of Idaho and eastern
> Oregon where the primary function is sun protection. Fluid dynamics,
> Bernoulli and all of that, provide plenty of ventilation while the
> bike is moving. Heat rising off pavement can get stuffy when I'm
> stopped.
>
> It is very easy to be enthusastic about one's body skin. It is a very
> cool upgrade. After a few thousand miles, it's no big deal. You learn
> how to stow it and deploy it without thinking about it much, you learn
> when it's probably a waste of time, you learn how to climb in and out.
> What drives me nuts about the rig is the rear standoff pylon that
> requires the rear rack. I'm trying to figure out a better system.
>
> There are two interesting mods I've seen recentlythat you might
> consider:
> 1. Mesh top panel, adds ventilation and an easy view of your
> dashboard.
> 2. Side slits, allow you to extend an arm for legal turn signals.
>
> If you're thinking of adding a fairing to your ER bike, (a fairing is
> the first major upgrade everyone should make) I strongly urge you to
> consider investing in the heavy duty model so you can add a body skin
> later without having to buy another fairing. (Although we've been told
> by Wo that the regular fairing can be rigged to support the tension of
> the body skin.)
>
> david boise ID
>

> [email protected] (mike s) wrote in message news:
> >
> > My wife has a bodysock on her Gold Rush. The sock makes here
> > incredibly fast under the right conditions. On the flats or on a
> > slight downgrade (minimal) with no headwind she can cruise easily,
> > without pushing hard, between 25 and 30 mph. The sock isn't difficult
> > to ride in moderate crosswinds. And it really flies downhill. The
> > negatives are that it is hot (midwest summers are hot anyway but it
> > certainly cuts down on the breeze), unless you do a modification for
> > the mirror you will need a helmut mirror, you get asked a lot of
> > questions which she feels she needs to answer, and it is killing me
> > trying to keep pace. All in all she likes it but will probably use
> > her tailsock when the weather heats up.
> >
> > Mike S.
> > St. Louis, Mo.

Err, actually it's Easy Racers.

And here's a quick and easy no-rack body sock mount.

http://www.easyracers.com/temp/body_sock_mount.jpg

That's a replacement tent pole kit and 3 nerf foam balls. About $20 and an
hour of your time. We will probably offer this in the near future.

Thanks!

Gabriel DeVault

news:[email protected]...

Gabriel DeVault wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Arne wrote:
>>

>>>what is the source for body socks for a grr?

>>< http://www.bikeroute.com/FreeFormFashions/>.

> Err, actually it's Easy Racers.
>
> And here's a quick and easy no-rack body sock mount.
>
> http://www.easyracers.com/temp/body_sock_mount.jpg
>
> That's a replacement tent pole kit and 3 nerf foam balls. About $20

and an
> hour of your time. We will probably offer this in the near future.

And who makes the body socks for Easy Racers [rhetorical question]?

I personally know several Easy Racers bicycle owners who have ordered
their TE/GRR/TiGRR socks directly from Free Form.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

I could have a problem as I have meuller fairing, not the heavy weight
zipper.--
..

Arne wrote:

> I could have a problem as I have meuller fairing, not the heavy weight
> zipper.

Whether or not this would be a problem depends on the shape of the
particular fairing. Some LWB Mueller Windwrap fairings (such as the one
that used to be stock on the RANS Velocity Squared) are too narrow at
the bottom to keep the sock away from the rider's feet, while others are
designed from body sock use.

Here is the link for the Mueller Windwrap that is designed for body sock
use on an Easy Racers TE/GRR/TiGRR:
<http://www.mueller-hp.com/tgtbodysock.htm>.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Right, so does that mean if I want a RANS I order one from the factory in
taiwan to save money. No, I buy it from Randy cause he spent the time and
effort to make it happen in the first place. If you want a "custom" sock,
you should talk to Melanie directly.

Just my opinion, do what you want.

Gabe

Gabriel DeVault wrote:

> Right, so does that mean if I want a RANS I order one from the factory in
> taiwan to save money. No, I buy it from Randy cause he spent the time and
> effort to make it happen in the first place. If you want a "custom" sock,
> you should talk to Melanie [Free Form] directly.
>
> Just my opinion, do what you want.

I really have no preference whether people order a body sock from Easy
Racers or from Free Form directly. But they should get a sock if they
are interested in maximizing their performance on the bike.

I doubt the factory in Taiwan would sell me a RANS (they are likely
contractually prohibited from doing so).

Of course, a person could always make their own body sock (been there,
done that, got the photo [1], don't want to do it again [2]).

[1] < http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm >.
[2] They effort involved makes the MSRP of a body sock appear to be very
reasonable.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)