Gold Rush Tires & Hydration Pack

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Michael Grimes, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
    have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am
    running 100 lbs.

    Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
    interested in trying one out.

    Thanks Mike

    Tags:

  2. I used to have a toureasy with the Koolback seat. I was able to use a Camelback Mule inside the seat
    tubes behind the mesh. I'd put the shoulder straps over the bowed out top tube and the waist strap
    around the seat. I then used a bungee cord at the bottom to keep it from sliding right to left. Once
    the pack was mounted it was easy to slide the bladder in and out. Also, I used the camel clip to
    clip the tube to my shirt.

    > I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
    > have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am running
    > 100 lbs.

    Cheng Shen makes many branded tires and sells some under their own name too. I have an Avocet that
    also is stamped Cheng Shen.

    > Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
    > interested in trying one out.

    I have been hanging a Platypus Kayak Hydrator Hydration System ($30) off the back of my Lightning
    seat. It would probably work with a GRR seat too.

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr= 226&prrfnbr=6685378

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. "Michael Grimes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
    > have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am running
    > 100 lbs.

    I started out with a 451*1" chen shin (same brand?) slick on my homebuild SWB. It was rated for 110
    psi, but got cracks in the sidewall at that pressure (rubber sidewall), and eventually got destroyed
    by a snakebite puncture.

  5. Michael Grimes <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
    > interested in trying one out.

    I've had good luck mounting a hydration pack inside the "U" of the handlebars. This has a couple
    of benefits:

    1) By putting the weight up front, the handling of the bike is improved slightly.

    2) Since I use one of the packs with extra pockets and compartments, I can store snacks and other
    stuff I need while riding and can get to it easily.

    A 70 oz pack fits neatly, but I use a 100 oz pack, though it is a bit of a squeeze.

    --
    Bill Bushnell

  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Grimes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
    > > have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am
    > > running 100 lbs.
    >
    > I started out with a 451*1" chen shin (same brand?) slick on my homebuild SWB.

    I didn't know anyone other than IRC and Primo made 451 tires. Where did you get one? How much?

    TIA

    Richard

  7. Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've had one since that time and it
    is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a matching Schwalbe tube.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Richard" <[email protected]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Michael Grimes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]...
    > > > I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a
    Sheng
    > > > Shin rear tire. Anybody have any experiences with these? Are they a
    good
    > > > tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am running 100 lbs.
    > >
    > > I started out with a 451*1" chen shin (same brand?) slick on my
    homebuild
    > > SWB.
    >
    > I didn't know anyone other than IRC and Primo made 451 tires. Where did
    you
    > get one? How much?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Richard

  8. Fastnorman

    Fastnorman Guest

    Bill Bushnell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Michael Grimes <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
    > > interested in trying one out.
    >
    > I've had good luck mounting a hydration pack inside the "U" of the handlebars. This has a couple
    > of benefits:
    >
    > 1) By putting the weight up front, the handling of the bike is improved slightly.
    >
    > 2) Since I use one of the packs with extra pockets and compartments, I can store snacks and other
    > stuff I need while riding and can get to it easily.
    >
    > A 70 oz pack fits neatly, but I use a 100 oz pack, though it is a bit of a squeeze.

    I mounted a 100 oz Camelbak Blowfish hydration pack the same way that Bill did. I had to clamp the
    water bottle cages to the outside of the bars to make room for the Camelbak. It makes a great
    handlebar bag and the hose lays over the bag so you don't have to hassel with clipping it to your
    shirt. As for tires, the Schwalbe Stelvio is available from Easy Racers or probably from your LBS.

    Fastnorman

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've had one since that time and
    > it is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a
    matching
    > Schwalbe tube.

    >Bob,
    Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but
    their 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and
    just haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site and they only show the IRC
    and 2 Primos.

    TIA Richard

  10. They definitely sell and ship the 451 tire and matching tube. The US distributor is a Canadian
    outfit named Moser which I think is a subsidiary of Schwalbe. Call or e-mail Schawalbe. They
    responded promptly to all my e-mails and were very helpful. I even was able to pre-order the 451
    Stelvio before it was available.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've
    had
    > > one since that time and it is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a
    > matching
    > > Schwalbe tube.
    >

    > >Bob,
    > Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but their
    > 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and just
    > haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site
    and
    > they only show the IRC and 2 Primos.
    >
    > TIA Richard

  11. "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Bob,
    > Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but
    > their 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and
    > just haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site and they only show the IRC
    > and 2 Primos.
    >
    > TIA Richard

    You should go to schwalbetires.com - it is their North American office. They have the 451 listed
    there. Either do a product search for Stelvio or look under the category "Recumbent", then
    "Performance", then click on "Stelvio". You can also buy them from some bent suppliers;
    poweroncycling.com is one source. However, PowerOn only sells the 406 and the 451. If you have a
    larger rear wheel and want a matched set, you can get both from Schwalbe. They just received
    their new shipments a few weeks ago and they ship promptly.

    Stephen
    T/E SS, Greenspeed GTR

  12. John

    John Guest

    I have found that the best hydration pack for the handlebar area of an Easy Racers bike is the
    Camelbak Unbottle (100 oz. capacity). With a couple of small bungie cords, it is easy to put on and
    off. Campmor sells them for $ 28.99.

    PS - I, too, have found Moser, the distributor for Schwalbe tires, great folks with which to
    do business.

    John

  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Stephen Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >Bob,
    > > Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire?

    > You should go to schwalbetires.com - it is their North American office. They have the 451
    > listed there.

    THANK YOU. I would have thought that their main site would have all their products. At >$32 they are
    a little pricey! But I guess quality costs.

    Anyway, thanks for the bikeshop tip, too.

    Richard