Gold Rush Tires & Hydration Pack

Michael Grimes

Guest
I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am
running 100 lbs.

Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
interested in trying one out.

Thanks Mike

I used to have a toureasy with the Koolback seat. I was able to use a Camelback Mule inside the seat
tubes behind the mesh. I'd put the shoulder straps over the bowed out top tube and the waist strap
around the seat. I then used a bungee cord at the bottom to keep it from sliding right to left. Once
the pack was mounted it was easy to slide the bladder in and out. Also, I used the camel clip to
clip the tube to my shirt.

> I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
> have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am running
> 100 lbs.

Cheng Shen makes many branded tires and sells some under their own name too. I have an Avocet that
also is stamped Cheng Shen.

> Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
> interested in trying one out.

I have been hanging a Platypus Kayak Hydrator Hydration System ($30) off the back of my Lightning
seat. It would probably work with a GRR seat too.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr= 226&prrfnbr=6685378

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Michael Grimes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
> have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am running
> 100 lbs.

I started out with a 451*1" chen shin (same brand?) slick on my homebuild SWB. It was rated for 110
psi, but got cracks in the sidewall at that pressure (rubber sidewall), and eventually got destroyed
by a snakebite puncture.

Michael Grimes <[email protected]> wrote:
> Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
> interested in trying one out.

I've had good luck mounting a hydration pack inside the "U" of the handlebars. This has a couple
of benefits:

1) By putting the weight up front, the handling of the bike is improved slightly.

2) Since I use one of the packs with extra pockets and compartments, I can store snacks and other
stuff I need while riding and can get to it easily.

A 70 oz pack fits neatly, but I use a 100 oz pack, though it is a bit of a squeeze.

--
Bill Bushnell

"Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Grimes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > I just took delivery of a new Gold Rush Expidition model. It has a Sheng Shin rear tire. Anybody
> > have any experiences with these? Are they a good tire? They are rated for 80 psi, but I am
> > running 100 lbs.
>
> I started out with a 451*1" chen shin (same brand?) slick on my homebuild SWB.

I didn't know anyone other than IRC and Primo made 451 tires. Where did you get one? How much?

TIA

Richard

Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've had one since that time and it
is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a matching Schwalbe tube.

--
news:[email protected]...

Bill Bushnell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael Grimes <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Also what's a good method of mounting a hydration pack on the GRR? I've never used one but am
> > interested in trying one out.
>
> I've had good luck mounting a hydration pack inside the "U" of the handlebars. This has a couple
> of benefits:
>
> 1) By putting the weight up front, the handling of the bike is improved slightly.
>
> 2) Since I use one of the packs with extra pockets and compartments, I can store snacks and other
> stuff I need while riding and can get to it easily.
>
> A 70 oz pack fits neatly, but I use a 100 oz pack, though it is a bit of a squeeze.

I mounted a 100 oz Camelbak Blowfish hydration pack the same way that Bill did. I had to clamp the
water bottle cages to the outside of the bars to make room for the Camelbak. It makes a great
handlebar bag and the hose lays over the bag so you don't have to hassel with clipping it to your
shirt. As for tires, the Schwalbe Stelvio is available from Easy Racers or probably from your LBS.

Fastnorman

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've had one since that time and
> it is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a
matching
> Schwalbe tube.

>Bob,
Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but
their 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and
just haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site and they only show the IRC
and 2 Primos.

TIA Richard

They definitely sell and ship the 451 tire and matching tube. The US distributor is a Canadian
outfit named Moser which I think is a subsidiary of Schwalbe. Call or e-mail Schawalbe. They
responded promptly to all my e-mails and were very helpful. I even was able to pre-order the 451
Stelvio before it was available.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Schwalbe Stelvio 28-451 has been available since last December. I've
had
> > one since that time and it is a fast, grippy tire. You can order a
> matching
> > Schwalbe tube.
>

> >Bob,
> Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but their
> 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and just
> haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site
and
> they only show the IRC and 2 Primos.
>
> TIA Richard

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >Bob,
> Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire? I just went to Schwalbe.com and found nothing but
> their 28-406 tire. According to a web search they do NOT make a 451 tire. I sure hope they do and
> just haven't updated their site. Also, I searched Hostelshoppe site and they only show the IRC
> and 2 Primos.
>
> TIA Richard

You should go to schwalbetires.com - it is their North American office. They have the 451 listed
there. Either do a product search for Stelvio or look under the category "Recumbent", then
"Performance", then click on "Stelvio". You can also buy them from some bent suppliers;
poweroncycling.com is one source. However, PowerOn only sells the 406 and the 451. If you have a
larger rear wheel and want a matched set, you can get both from Schwalbe. They just received
their new shipments a few weeks ago and they ship promptly.

Stephen
T/E SS, Greenspeed GTR

I have found that the best hydration pack for the handlebar area of an Easy Racers bike is the
Camelbak Unbottle (100 oz. capacity). With a couple of small bungie cords, it is easy to put on and
off. Campmor sells them for $ 28.99.

PS - I, too, have found Moser, the distributor for Schwalbe tires, great folks with which to
do business.

John

"Stephen Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > >Bob,
> > Do you have a source for that 28-451 tire?

> You should go to schwalbetires.com - it is their North American office. They have the 451
> listed there.

THANK YOU. I would have thought that their main site would have all their products. At >$32 they are
a little pricey! But I guess quality costs.

Anyway, thanks for the bikeshop tip, too.

Richard