UK and Europe · Public discussion

Gold Star and Two House Points

Started by Tim Hall · · Last activity · 5 posts · 561 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
9 February 2005
Last activity
10 February 2005
Original author
Tim Hall
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
561
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'll start at the beginning.

    Back in October our Pino tandem stopped working, rather
    inconveniently, at the top of Box Hill. A car ride and several
    esploded view diagrams later traced the problem to the sun gear
    forming part of the Sach 3x7 hub gear. A tooth had snapped off,
    jamming in the works. Interstingly the hub isn't recommended for
    tandem use, but it's been on there for 5 years.

    The next day I popped into an LBS, where I'd bought Sachs/Sram
    shifters before. Armed with the exploded view and a part number I
    said "I want that one". They said they'd have to order from the
    distributor, Fisher, and would let me know.

    I rang them a week or so later. Fisher wait until they need a lot of
    Sram parts before they place an order. Ho hum.

    Several phone calls and visits to the shop ensued, no luck. Meanwhile
    the Pino remained in the garage, unridden. Subsequent Tandem Club
    rides were carried out on solos.

    Then, just before Christmas, the phone rings. It's the LBS. The part
    has arrived! I dash in there, pay a few quid and pocket the axle.
    Even then I was suspicious - it didn't look right. Getting home
    confirmed it - they'd sent the wrong part. It seems Fisher don't use
    Sram part numbers for Sram parts. Which isn't very clever.

    Back we go, get a refund and wait. More phone calls, no luck.

    Then I have a brain wave. I emailed the great Sheldon. Yes, he has a
    bunch of Sram parts, but they're all unlabelled (a job lot from Sram I
    understand). I take a few snaps with a digital camera, add some
    dimensions and email him back. Yes! he has one.

    Place order using the magic formula "Sheldon has this part on his
    desk". Acknowledgement received last Friday, part delivered by
    vanilla postal service today. That's less than a week!

    Scoff dinner down quickly, take hub apart for hopefully the last time
    and replace the axle. Yes! It works! Just in time for the Tandem
    Club ride on Sunday.

    Many, many thanks to Sheldon and all at Harris Cyclery. That's a
    proper bike shop.

    Tim

  2. Tim Hall <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Then I have a brain wave. I emailed the great Sheldon. Yes, he has a
    bunch of Sram parts, but they're all unlabelled (a job lot from Sram I
    understand). I take a few snaps with a digital camera, add some
    dimensions and email him back. Yes! he has one.

    I'm not convinced there is a single entity that goes by the name of
    "Sheldon". I remember his photo on the web site in beardy days and his
    resemblance to one Mr S. Clause is perhaps more than a coincidence. The
    beard was obviously removed to throw us off the scent, but I am sure that
    there is an entire workshop full of little helpers producing copious
    amounts of very useful information, sourcing hard to get parts and
    generally being wonderfully helpful. Call this "Harris Cyclery" if you
    wish, but I know the real story!!! 🙂

    Graeme

  3. Tim Hall said:

    Many, many thanks to Sheldon and all at Harris Cyclery. That's
    a proper bike shop.

    I think the Harris Cyclery is a perfect example of how a business ought
    to use the Internet. Because of their Web presence they have a
    world-wide reputation and customers everywhere. I've used them myself
    when I couldn't find Kool-Stop Salmon brake blocks anywhere else. Very
    quick, too - quicker than UK mail order in many cases.

    --
    Dave...

  4. "Graeme" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not convinced there is a single entity that goes by the name of
    "Sheldon". I remember his photo on the web site in beardy days and his
    resemblance to one Mr S. Clause is perhaps more than a coincidence. The
    beard was obviously removed to throw us off the scent, but I am sure that
    there is an entire workshop full of little helpers producing copious
    amounts of very useful information, sourcing hard to get parts and
    generally being wonderfully helpful. Call this "Harris Cyclery" if you
    wish, but I know the real story!!! 🙂

    Graeme

    Notice how you never see Sheldon and Santa in the same room at the same
    time... says it all, really.

    Cheers, helen s

  5. dkahn400 said:

    I couldn't find Kool-Stop Salmon brake blocks anywhere else.


    Wiggle!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.