Golf - an Olympic Sport?!

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
Yep, Cynical move by the IOC.

Started with allowing tennis and the football in to the Games.

I believe snookers on the shortlist too:eek:

I'm totally fine with Golf being in the Olympics. Thanks for the link TonyZackary!

Cullen

I agree. But it brings up the interesting task of defining the kind of activity that should be in the Olympics, without seeming to be arbitrary. To my way of thinking, a "sport" or game shouldn't be in the Olympics unless the activity requires that one be in great physical condition (in order to do it well).

That eliminates golf. Baseball, too! And archery. What else?

The following "recreations" should be immediately removed:

1. Sailing - fat cat, rich folks' little cottage recreation
2. Equestrian - anybody ever find out how the horses feel about this activity?
3. Archery and Shooting - Athletic ability required? I highly doubt it. Even golfers have to possess some endurance...

My list is not exhaustive. Feel free to critique and/or add to the list...

give it time and when there becomes enough money to be made from it, bird watching will be in there too.

Golf is an athletic game like clipping fingernails is a game of strategy.

Golf shouldn't be anywhere near the OIympics. If you can drive a cart around while playing your "sport", then you shouldn't be in the Olympics. Golf is the single most boring "activity" ever created by Man. Also, if you can wear a polo shirt and slacks during the play of your "sport", it's not a sport.

The Olympics, now, are a few parsecs away from any Olympic ideal that might have existed in the past.

This is how perverse and aberrant golfers are: when I was a skydiving instructor, I had a student who told me he got the same thing out of golf that he did skydiving.

Of course, Tucson is littered with golf courses, the antithesis of natural beauty. Personally, a midnight raid to plow every green would be a useful public service.

Maybe if they have to run between holes while carrying thier clubs, but riding in carts is going too far.

kdelong said:
Maybe if they have to run between holes while carrying thier clubs, but riding in carts is going too far.

I would watch golf if it were combined with the Running of the Bulls. If you give the golfers a 30 minute headstart, and you then release, from the first hole, 300 stampeding bulls....that'd be fun to watch. How fast can you run in golf shoes.....with tassles?

runningbulls.jpg

kdelong said:

I suggest they use shot-put balls and have to pull carts between hole loaded with lead.

limerickman said:
Yep, Cynical move by the IOC.

Started with allowing tennis and the football in to the Games.

I believe snookers on the shortlist too:eek:

I think chess with no time limits on moves would really make the Olympics more exciting, especially if the ribbon dancing competition was right next door.:rolleyes:

However, Golf courses are great for running cross country practices on.:rolleyes:

Yeah, let's have horse racing in there. This year's crop of yearlings will be ready for 2012. Let's have some middle distance flat racing. It is the sport of kings so why not the Olympics?