Golf - an Olympic Sport?!

jamie72 said:
Yeah, let's have horse racing in there. This year's crop of yearlings will be ready for 2012. Let's have some middle distance flat racing. It is the sport of kings so why not the Olympics?

Sounds good and pretty much par for the course for the 'modern' Olympic "Games". So, to whom are the medals awarded - the horses or the jockeys? I say the horses as the jockey don't do anything and are just along for a free ride.

While we're at it - through in Nascar too...

Horse and jockey both get medals, I suppose the trainer too. Although with no cash prizes the owners probably wouldn't bother.
Do horses get medals in showjumping/ eventing?

jamie72 said:
Horse and jockey both get medals, I suppose the trainer too. Although with no cash prizes the owners probably wouldn't bother.
Do horses get medals in showjumping/ eventing?

Excellent! The more medals distributed the better - wouldn't want any exclusivity to the medals because being more inclusive/liberal creates a larger total revenue pool to extort from. Kinda explains why there are so many "sports" included in the present games...Make your sponsorship "donation" and your sport, activity, recreation, pasttime, etc...can be considered an Olympic worth event. However, you gotta keep that money stream flowing, otherwise you could get booted out and replaced with something more "worthy"...

I don't know who gets the awards in showjumping contests/events. I bet the horse doesn't get a whole lot in return for the pounding their joints take...maybe an extra carrot or scoop of hay or something...

With as much money as is circulating around No-Limit Poker, I won't be suprised to see those folks eligible for a gold medal some time in the near future...

Board and video games are just around the corner as well...

No because with Olympic sports there has to be the possibility of playing without money. Therefore no poker.

jamie72 said:
No because with Olympic sports there has to be the possibility of playing without money. Therefore no poker.

Ya' think? Who made up that rule? And what makes you think the IOC wouldn't change said rule if enough money was flashed in their faces??

Yeah I just made that rule up. **** the big wads of cash/ IOC. New rule sounds fair to me? Got to draw the line somewhere eh?

How come this guy Rebellin is having to return his prize money and the silver medal in cycling at the Beijing, Olympics. He tested positive for CERA.
It sounds like somebody got paid.

burninglegs said:
How come this guy Rebellin is having to return his prize money and the silver medal in cycling at the Beijing, Olympics. He tested positive for CERA.
It sounds like somebody got paid.

Is there a reason why he shouldn't have to return the medal or prize money?

Hi, no I was questioning the thought that there was/should be no prize money in the Olympics.

Evidently there is prize money given out in the Olympics because Rebellen is being required to return his. I guess this makes sense because the Olympics are really not amateur anymore.

burninglegs said:
Hi, no I was questioning the thought that there was/should be no prize money in the Olympics.

Evidently there is prize money given out in the Olympics because Rebellen is being required to return his. I guess this makes sense because the Olympics are really not amateur anymore.

It's likely it's money from his team and sponsors. The IOC doesn't hand out cash prizes.

tonyzackery said:
Golf makes cut, rugby in scrum for addition to 2016 Olympic Games - Sports - News1130 - ALL NEWS RADIO

Apparently, the recreation of 'hit the ball and walk after it' may just make it into the Olympic "Games". Incredible.

p.s. I must admit I momentarily forgot the true nature of the Olympics. If I hadn't lost site of the fact that the IOC is even more morally bankrupt (if there is such a thing) than the UCI, this wouldn't have been a suprise...

AP sources: Convicted former Samsung chairman Lee reinstated in IOC - News1130

Another case of the 'fox guarding the henhouse'. Well, perhaps he's learned his lesson and deserves a second chance.:rolleyes:

This guy, convicted on tax evasion and mismanagement of funds charges and pardoned by a probable corrupt administration, gets back on the International Olympic Committee executive board just in time for S. Korea's bid to host the 2018 winter games. Incredible, but true...And Don King's mantra was "only in America" - Don definitely needs to expand the territory of opportunity...

Heh, Golf being an Olympic Sport. I admit is a pretty nice sport but unfortunately is quite boring to watch and takes an eternity to finish one game.

Most likely it will become an Olympic Game since some people want to make a lot of money and this is the best solution.

^^^I second your nomination.
Went out once with my brother-in-law and I was amazed at the skill and precision it takes to be a good fly fisherman. I was thoroughly impressed how he could pluck trout out of the water no deeper than our mid-thighs. Almost had me wantin' to go out and buy a fly rod...