gonzo cooking

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by aem, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. aem

    aem Guest

    In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson, I wonder whether you cooks
    sometimes create something unique by casting aside your rules and
    inhibitions just for the sake of the adventure?

    I seldom stray far from the tried and true, but now and then you just
    have to say wotthehell, archy. Most such forays turn out to be not
    worth repeating, but one dish has been repeated numerous times. We'd
    been drinking margaritas when I started to cook. I browned some
    seasoned (s&p) chicken pieces, then tossed in some tequila and flamed
    it (whee!) and deglazed the pan. Added onion and garlic, then saw the
    limes on the counter. Squeezed the juice from a couple of those over
    the chicken. On a roll now, I splashed in some Triple Sec, covered and
    simmered till done. So, Margarita Chicken. Later, of course, I
    discovered that this was not a new dish--but it was new to me at the
    time, and it was good.

    -aem

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson, I wonder whether you cooks
    > sometimes create something unique by casting aside your rules and
    > inhibitions just for the sake of the adventure?
    >
    > I seldom stray far from the tried and true, but now and then you just
    > have to say wotthehell, archy. Most such forays turn out to be not
    > worth repeating, but one dish has been repeated numerous times. We'd
    > been drinking margaritas when I started to cook. I browned some
    > seasoned (s&p) chicken pieces, then tossed in some tequila and flamed
    > it (whee!) and deglazed the pan. Added onion and garlic, then saw the
    > limes on the counter. Squeezed the juice from a couple of those over
    > the chicken. On a roll now, I splashed in some Triple Sec, covered and
    > simmered till done. So, Margarita Chicken. Later, of course, I
    > discovered that this was not a new dish--but it was new to me at the
    > time, and it was good.
    >
    > -aem

    Original to me at the time was taking the TJ'S frozen berry medley (no
    strawberries) and soaking them in cream sherry and ultimately spooning them
    over lemon sorbet.

    It made a great presentation in a red wine glass with a mint sprig.

    Dimitri

  3. Served garnished with a twist of lemon and an umbrella on the side? :)

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson, I wonder whether you cooks
    > sometimes create something unique by casting aside your rules and
    > inhibitions just for the sake of the adventure?
    >
    > I seldom stray far from the tried and true, but now and then you just
    > have to say wotthehell, archy. Most such forays turn out to be not
    > worth repeating, but one dish has been repeated numerous times. We'd
    > been drinking margaritas when I started to cook. I browned some
    > seasoned (s&p) chicken pieces, then tossed in some tequila and flamed
    > it (whee!) and deglazed the pan. Added onion and garlic, then saw the
    > limes on the counter. Squeezed the juice from a couple of those over
    > the chicken. On a roll now, I splashed in some Triple Sec, covered and
    > simmered till done. So, Margarita Chicken. Later, of course, I
    > discovered that this was not a new dish--but it was new to me at the
    > time, and it was good.
    >
    > -aem

  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    >In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson . . .

    I just wanted to point out that this means Doonesbury will have to redo
    all its storyboards. Biggest wrinkle in the project since 9/11.

    Neil

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    aem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson, I wonder whether you cooks
    >sometimes create something unique by casting aside your rules and
    >inhibitions just for the sake of the adventure?

    Hm... An appropriate recipe would probably be a smoothie
    made by filling a blender with tequila and assorted vegetation
    of problematic legality.

    One would probably have to have built up Thompson's decades-long
    cultivated immunity to survive a slug of it.

    --
    Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon, | Mike Van Pelt
    and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor. | mvp.at.calweb.com

  6. On 22 Feb 2005 09:55:02 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson, I wonder whether you cooks
    >sometimes create something unique by casting aside your rules and
    >inhibitions just for the sake of the adventure?
    >
    >I seldom stray far from the tried and true, but now and then you just
    >have to say wotthehell, archy. Most such forays turn out to be not
    >worth repeating, but one dish has been repeated numerous times. We'd
    >been drinking margaritas when I started to cook. I browned some
    >seasoned (s&p) chicken pieces, then tossed in some tequila and flamed
    >it (whee!) and deglazed the pan. Added onion and garlic, then saw the
    >limes on the counter. Squeezed the juice from a couple of those over
    >the chicken. On a roll now, I splashed in some Triple Sec, covered and
    >simmered till done. So, Margarita Chicken. Later, of course, I
    >discovered that this was not a new dish--but it was new to me at the
    >time, and it was good.
    >
    >-aem

    New to me today was making hominy pancakes ( a great use of cornmeal,
    btw, recipe source - Joy of Cooking, but add more milk as the mixture
    steams) interspersing them with sauteed pears and candied ginger in a
    five pancake stack, and placing the little pile on the plate in a pool
    of ginger syrup. Yum, yum.

    Shirley Hicks
    Toronto, Ontario

  7. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    On 23 Feb 2005 19:40:45 -0800, "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>In honor of the great Hunter S. Thompson . . .

    >I just wanted to point out that this means Doonesbury will have to redo
    >all its storyboards. Biggest wrinkle in the project since 9/11.
    >
    >Neil

    The Hunter fired the shot,
    In an effort to thicken the plot.
    He finished his life,