Good 700c Winter Tire Recommendations?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
I'm wondering if any of you guys that ride in the winter (and I mean real winter not sissy, rainy, drizzly winter with lows in the upper 30's Fahrenheit ;) ) could recommend a good 700c winter tire. In Minnesota it gets very cold and there is snow and ice to deal with so if you're in a similar climate and you have some good choices... Please share. I'm not really sure if I want to run studded tires because where the roads have been cleared, I'm riding on pavement. Any suggestions?

I use Gatorskins with tire liners. Have only experienced one winter flat in two years. However, I only go when the roads have cleared after a storm (usually takes one to two days around here). Patches of ice and snow are ok. Cold is not as issue either. However from Dec 1 to March 1 realisticaly 80% of my winter riding is "sissy" weather. --Jeff Buxton

They clear the roads clear to the pavement? Consider yourself lucky! I have had exceptional luck with Specialized Armadillo tires in past northern Iowa winters, but I don't ride when the wind chill factor is below 0. Black ice can be a concern here--not sure any tire can stick to that!

sbwirtz said:
They clear the roads clear to the pavement? Consider yourself lucky! I have had exceptional luck with Specialized Armadillo tires in past northern Iowa winters, but I don't ride when the wind chill factor is below 0. Black ice can be a concern here--not sure any tire can stick to that!

Well, they don't actually clear them to the pavement but the well traveled roadways become clear after enough traffic goes over them. That and they salt the main roads to melt the snow and ice off so they do become clear. The less traveled roads will still have snow and ice on them. That's why I need to be able to ride both. I 'd think if you used the studded tires on dry pavement they'd wear right down. I don't ride in below zero windchills either. You'd have to be nuts! We get black ice here too but it's not that common. Studded tires might get you over it but I've never tried them.

meehs said:
I'm wondering if any of you guys that ride in the winter (and I mean real winter not sissy, rainy, drizzly winter with lows in the upper 30's Fahrenheit ;) ) could recommend a good 700c winter tire. In Minnesota it gets very cold and there is snow and ice to deal with so if you're in a similar climate and you have some good choices... Please share. I'm not really sure if I want to run studded tires because where the roads have been cleared, I'm riding on pavement. Any suggestions?
Schwalbe Marathon XTR

I haven't had personal experience, but I did some reading last year, and some studded tires use studs that will survive just fine on pavement. (I believe I ran across at least a couple of people not selling tires that confirmed that)

I think that if I was planning to ride a combination of roads including ice at times, I would look seriously at studded tires. I think the real durable studs were Carbide like advertised on this site:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Of course, as he mentions, they won't fit all bikes.

Good luck!

meehs said:

I commuted year-round for years in Chicago (now I ride in the sissy, rainy, drizzly upper30's Seattle winter). I found no road tire to be very suitable for snow/ice conditions.

I ended up doing my winter commuting on a mountain bike with a fat mixed tread tire (Continental Town/Country 2 X 2.0) run at 35-40 PSI and that was OK. Slow but somewhat secure feeling.

meehs said:
Bumperty bump

Don Shipp said:
Bumperty bump

I haven't purchased any yet. I've been thinking about the Schwalbe Marathon XTR's that you suggested. I've heard a lot of good feedback about Schwalbes in general. I'm still considering a studded tire too though. Haven't decided yet. I appreciate the suggestions!

meehs said:
I haven't purchased any yet. I've been thinking about the Schwalbe Marathon XTR's that you suggested. I've heard a lot of good feedback about Schwalbes in general. I'm still considering a studded tire too though. Haven't decided yet. I appreciate the suggestions!
Whatever you decide, post it. Then let us know if it's any good or not.

I am approaching my first Toronto (Canada) winter on 700c tyres. To be honest, I am not sure that tyre choice is going to make a big difference. You can get a 700c studded tyres? - there aint much rubber there to fit them studs in? My view is that as long as the roads are clear of ice and snow (they frequently are, even when -20 deg.C), then tyre choice doesn't really matter, what matters more is keeping the extremities warm (I have been told that down to -5deg.C you're ok, but below that it gets difficult). If there is some ice / snow on the road, then you are screwed, as 700c tyres are just too damn skinny to offer any traction. Better off getting a mountain bike and using studded tyres.

Buddy2004 said:
I am approaching my first Toronto (Canada) winter on 700c tyres. To be honest, I am not sure that tyre choice is going to make a big difference. You can get a 700c studded tyres? - there aint much rubber there to fit them studs in? My view is that as long as the roads are clear of ice and snow (they frequently are, even when -20 deg.C), then tyre choice doesn't really matter, what matters more is keeping the extremities warm (I have been told that down to -5deg.C you're ok, but below that it gets difficult). If there is some ice / snow on the road, then you are screwed, as 700c tyres are just too damn skinny to offer any traction. Better off getting a mountain bike and using studded tyres.
Hey Buddy2K4...I am in the same boat as you. Commuted to work since April here in Toronto and was planning in continuing through the winter. Have bought some good winter gear in MEC. What tyres have you decided upon? I bought a winter beater road bike, but with the mudguards there is not too much room for tyres with big knobs etc.

Any advice?

Thanks,
littlefitzer

Buddy2004 said:

You can certainly get studded 700c tires. And not all 700c bikes are only capable of running super skinny (impractical for commuting) tires. Modern road racing bikes typically can't take anything wider than a 25mm or 27mm tires (if you're lucky). But the bike that I use for commuting will take the fattest 700c tire, of which you can indeed find studded models. Here are the ones that I'm thinking about trying:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=TR5264

They look like they'd be nice winter tires. Expensive though!

Okay, I was wrong about the existence of studed 700c tyres!!

I have been doing group rides this summer ('donut ride') and will be keeping it up as long as conditions allow i.e. dry roads, not too cold. If I was commuting daily in winter, I would probably get a mountain bike with studded tyres - just seems like the best bet for when things turn slushy.

I've had good luck with Bontrager Race lites (I think?..the ones with that different center strip) I've swapped new ones in because of wear, but no flats in over 9000 miles of year-round riding and sometimes racing.